JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Been doing it forever - in both .38 and .357..

Just ensure proper seating depth and lightly crimp - preferably taper or with a Lee factory crimp die.

Oh, they are more accurate in light to moderate loads than high velocity.

Last Edited:
Interesting concept using 9 mm projectiles in a .38 Special or .357 Magnum. I can see how that would work, but would require working up each load combination, carefully watching for signs of over pressure.
My guess would be pressures for a given 38spl load may be slightly reduced since you would be sending a looser bullet down the barrel.

I would be concerned with looser cast bullets and the greater potential for leading, if gases are able to get past the base of looser bullets. That should be a non-issue with coated cast bullets?

I bought some heavy plated berrys bullets many years ago that I was going to try and run in 357 sig loads. They are listed as .356 diameter. I have since acquired better fmj/hp bullets to use for 357 sig and was thinking about trying to use the berrys thick plate bullets in 38spl loads. They are rated for a maximum of 1250fps velocity so they may work in some 357mag loads as well.

357 diameter bullets always sell out fast and cost more at American Reloading. If 9mm bullets will work, it could save a person some money.

Current 9mm selection:

Current 357 selection:

I bought some heavy plated berrys bullets many years ago that I was going to try and run in 357 sig loads. They are listed as .356 diameter. I have since acquired better fmj/hp bullets to use for 357 sig and was thinking about trying to use the berrys thick plate bullets in 38spl loads. They are rated for a maximum of 1250fps velocity so they may work in some 357mag loads as well.

357 diameter bullets always sell out fast and cost more at American Reloading. If 9mm bullets will work, it could save a person some money.

Current 9mm selection:

Current 357 selection:

Those work well in .38 Super as well.

Some reloaders might have concerns about a lack of neck tension when using a .355 bullet in a 38spl or 357 mag case. Crimping may provide enough holding power to prevent set back of bullets but I had this idea to improve crimping. First, seat your .355 bullet in the 38spl case and crimp them with the seater die crimp. Then run the assembled round partially through a Lee 9mm factory crimp die. This should tighten up the neck tension on whatever portion of the case you run up into the 9mm FCD. Then take the round and run it through a Lee 38spl/357 mag FCD. That will assure that the rest of the case is sized well. It would add an extra step but should eliminate any concerns about weak neck tension with the smaller bullet.

I am going to try this technique this coming week and see how it works.

Edit: I am not confident that this idea will work after reviewing case dimensions but it's free to try. A 380acp FCD would probably work better. If I have one of those, I will try it instead.

Here is good demo of Lee FCD results.

View: https://youtu.be/6J0FiV9FWXU?feature=shared

Last Edited:
am not confident that this idea will work
Insomuch as not working I don't believe it's necessary.

Like I said before ensure proper seating depth and crimp with a Lee factory crimp die. It's what I use when loading .357 because it's what I have.

When I load .38s I use a 9mm seating die with the stem removed and just taper crimp them moderately. Never had a bullet set back issue.

Last Edited:
I loaded up two rounds with Extreme 124 plated HP .355 diameter. I just used the crimp function of the Lee seating die. And these two seem solid. I used a charge of 4.3 grains of titegroup. I will load up a handful more like this and see if I get any bullet set back when I fire them. If not then I will try some stiffer charges. If this works out I will save my 357 bullets for 357mag loads. I have a lot of plated 9mm bullets.

1000003285.jpg

I loaded up two rounds with Extreme 124 plated HP .355 diameter. I just used the crimp function of the Lee seating die.
Maybe just the pic angle but it looks like the crimp is a little heavy and it appears there is a heavy 'crimp ring' on the bullets.

You should have little to no 'resistance' when you are crimping plated bullets - they are still pretty soft.

Maybe just the pic angle but it looks like the crimp is a little heavy and it appears there is a heavy 'crimp ring' on the bullets.

You should have little to no 'resistance' when you are crimping plated bullets - they are still pretty soft.
I think I did over do it on the crimp. I will back it off a touch when I do the rest. I just wanted to make they didn't go anywhere. They seated super easy so there is not much neck tension there. They are a soft bullet.

I cast the same bullet 124 gr bullet for 38 and 9mm. The only difference is the final sizing.
I have used FMJ bullets that are standard Cup and Core sized .355 in a 38 without any loss of accuracy. But an under sized soft to medium lead cast bullet is an invitation for barrel lead fouling.
I have used some Powder coated bullets but not enough under sized to know they won't foul the barrel.
Those FMJ bullets that I have used got the same crimp as any others. The bullets held tight just like any other bullets. DR

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
  • Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
  • Springfield, OR

New Classified Ads

Back Top