JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I want to see just how quiet "Hollywood quiet" can actually get beyond .22LR.

This goal has led me to consider a bolt action .300 BLK pistol or rifle as a possible option for a fun range toy that can potentially double as a lightweight backpack/trail gun and (bonus!) that will likely be exempt from any imminent gun control hijinks.

I already have an AR receiver that I am planning to dedicate to a second .300 BLK pistol build, so this is NOT an AR thread.

Budget isn't a big issue, at least not for the purpose of this thread. I want to know all the options from $ to $$$$$. With 114 and the 2025 legislative session looming, I'm looking to buy something nice and a little different to tide me over for, um, the rest of my life. :(

Goals -- in order of importance:

1.) FUN. :s0139:

2.) NOT an AR or similar. No .22LR or 9mm. Looking for something a little different.

3.) Shhhhhh. This is the whole point.

4.) Compact -- ideally subgun size for backpack travel. This is a goal, but I am open to a rifle length build.

5.) Pistol > Rifle. No SBRs prior to transfer although registering to make one after I have the gun is an option.

6.) Recoil should be reasonably manageable. (See #7.)

7.) FUN again. This gun should make newbie guests want to come back to the range.

Options I've found:

• The ultimate Gucci option is the B&T SPR300 Pro Pistol. You can grab them on GB for the low, low price of $5,147.00. Two is one, people! 😎

• The one I am most drawn to is the Q Mini Fix. It is stupidly priced for what it is, but they are having a free suppressor with purchase promotion, which makes for a more appealing package. It does look pretty sweet. I really appreciate it being purpose built and not like every other gun fon the market that feels like yet another iteration of the same thing. I would love to get my hands on one before I drop that kind of money though. Doesn't seem like great odds finding one at a LGS.

• The CZ 600 Trail might be an option. Wish they offered a pistol option with a short barrel and a brace.

• There are some discontinued options that seem to be pretty rare. I'm not really looking to hunt a unicorn and fight off the hordes for it, but if one came along that was compelling, I might jump. My understanding is that most of the principal bolt action makers discontinued .300 BLK because they were running into problems with hunting rifles tuned for supers having problems when shooting subs.

• I am open to starting with a bare receiver that can be classed by ATF as a pistol and building something amazing that isn't available off the shelf, but I don't know anything about the custom bolt action world.

Alternative A: Skip the bolt actions altogether and stick with a semi-auto.

Alternative B: Skip .300 BLK and go with an alternate caliber.

Any advice?

This goal has led me to consider a bolt action .300 BLK pistol or rifle as a possible option for a fun range toy that can potentially double as a lightweight backpack/trail gun and (bonus!) that will likely be exempt from any imminent gun control hijinks.

I already have an AR receiver that I am planning to dedicate to a second .300 BLK pistol build, so this is NOT an AR thread.

Budget isn't a big issue, at least not for the purpose of this thread. I want to know all the options from $ to $$$$$. With 114 and the 2025 legislative session looming, I'm looking to buy something nice and a little different to tide me over for, um, the rest of my life. :(

2.) NOT an AR or similar. No .22LR or 9mm. Looking for something a little different.

4.) Compact -- ideally subgun size for backpack travel. This is a goal, but I am open to a rifle length build.

5.) Pistol > Rifle. No SBRs prior to transfer although registering to make one after I have the gun is an option.

7.) FUN again. This gun should make newbie guests want to come back to the range.

Options I've found:

• The ultimate Gucci option is the B&T SPR300 Pro Pistol. You can grab them on GB for the low, low price of $5,147.00. Two is one, people! 😎

• The one I am most drawn to is the Q Mini Fix. It is stupidly priced for what it is, but they are having a free suppressor with purchase promotion, which makes for a more appealing package. It does look pretty sweet. I really appreciate it being purpose built and not like every other gun fon the market that feels like yet another iteration of the same thing. I would love to get my hands on one before I drop that kind of money though. Doesn't seem like great odds finding one at a LGS.

• The CZ 600 Trail might be an option. Wish they offered a pistol option with a short barrel and a brace.

• There are some discontinued options that seem to be pretty rare. I'm not really looking to hunt a unicorn and fight off the hordes for it, but if one came along that was compelling, I might jump. My understanding is that most of the principal bolt action makers discontinued .300 BLK because they were running into problems with hunting rifles tuned for supers having problems when shooting subs.

• I am open to starting with a bare receiver that can be classed by ATF as a pistol and building something amazing that isn't available off the shelf, but I don't know anything about the custom bolt action world.

Any advice?
An AR repeater..

View: https://youtu.be/P3AKtsxV4YA?feature=shared

I picked up a CVA Scout in 300 BLK from my local BiMart a couple months ago. Pretty nice, basic entry into the BLK platform for $350. Short overall length, breaks down into two pieces for storage/transport if desired. It seemed plenty accurate the one or two times I have had it out to the range using my subsonic handloads (inexpensive, coated lead 220 or 225 grain projectiles over 1680 powder).

I've also had a Ruger American Ranch Rifle in BLK, and still have a CZ 527 Suppressor Ready. Liked both of these, but the simplicity and low cost of the Scout is impressive so far, or an old Handi Rifle. But the Handi's have become more expensive since they quit making them. The Scout may be worth a look.

Definitely not as quiet as a suppressed 22LR with subsonic ammo, but a bolt or single shot 300 BLK it is pretty quiet with suppressor I also have a couple 44 magnums and 38/357 rifles which are suppressed, these are quiet too. Honestly, if you are a handloader and can tailor your ammo to suit your needs, it opens up your options considerably. Finding/purchasing subsonic ammo for some calibers can be a bit difficult; making it is not if you are set up to do so.

IMG_5784.jpeg

I built a Ruger American .300BLK with a fast twist 10.5" barrel it shoots subs very well and I can run anything from 90gr to 240gr bullets, and with light charges of fast burning powder it is quite.
REoAPfz.jpg

I picked up a CVA Scout in 300 BLK from my local BiMart a couple months ago. Pretty nice, basic entry into the BLK platform for $350. Short overall length, breaks down into two pieces for storage/transport if desired. It seemed plenty accurate the one or two times I have had it out to the range using my subsonic handloads (inexpensive, coated lead 220 or 225 grain projectiles over 1680 powder).

I've also had a Ruger American Ranch Rifle in BLK, and still have a CZ 527 Suppressor Ready. Liked both of these, but the simplicity and low cost of the Scout is impressive so far, or an old Handi Rifle. But the Handi's have become more expensive since they quit making them. The Scout may be worth a look.

Definitely not as quiet as a suppressed 22LR with subsonic ammo, but a bolt or single shot 300 BLK it is pretty quiet with suppressor I also have a couple 44 magnums and 38/357 rifles which are suppressed, these are quiet too. Honestly, if you are a handloader and can tailor your ammo to suit your needs, it opens up your options considerably. Finding/purchasing subsonic ammo for some calibers can be a bit difficult; making it is not if you are set up to do so.

View attachment 1901950
I have a beautiful old Marlin .357 that isn't threaded and would be a sacrilege to mod.

It is tempting to double down on .357 and bypass the extra caliber.

I agree, this pursuit is going to send me down the hand loading path for sure. This is sure a complicated and expensive hobby!

Not sure about "Hollywood quiet", but .45ACP is naturally subsonic and a hoot to shoot...
I've thought about going the .45 ACP PDW route. A roller delayed .45 ACP has a lot of appeal as a fun gun.

The downside is that with .300 BLK, you can switch to supers in a pinch. With a .45 ACP, it's never going to have much more oomph than a 1911, even with a carbine length barrel.

Options I've found:

Any advice?
FWIW I would put time into researching how quiet (in db, from a good source) a 300 BLK can get. Fe suppressor + wet + wipe if possible. Because if you find that it's not "Hollywood quiet" at that "best" level, then the goal cannot really be obtained. I have never researched it so can't help unfortunately. But some good sources for reliable db levels are iraqveteran8888 and mrgunsngear. Search for "suppressor" on those channels probably will work. Both use the proper meters and protocol. That pew science suppressor data site may help also but every time I've looked at it it never has the suppressors I want data for. Also I suggest watching the latest Garand thumb video on 300 BLK (not silencer related really).

Also keep in mind that any bufferless gun, including bolt actions, you can easily add a folding stock to if you are able to install a pic rail on the back. Mainly talking about modular setups here but I even have a completely wood stock (other than the metal folding adapter) that is folding. Pic rail means you can attach a folding adapter and stock to the reciever. Folding stock is vital to being able to put in a backpack imo.

Also don't forget about 8.6 blackout. More power and maybe as quiet.

Is there any chance you can shoot one of these somewhere with subs? How fun is kinda hard to tell sometimes until you shoot it (unless you have shot something very similar and like that kind of gun).

Last Edited:
SIL has a suppressed bolt action 300 BO. Pretty darned close to Hollywood quiet with subs. For myself, I like more than one pew at a time so semi-auto is my preference. 300 BO is pretty quiet that way with the action making most of the noise. You can always switch to 110-125 grain if you really want to reach out and touch someone with the same gun.

There's a good discussion about it on another forum. You'll need to get past the purse swinging and "stop liking what I don't like" posters, but there is some good info in there.

Which do you like better, bolts or semi-auto? That's should be what you look for.
If you really want to just try it before dropping the big cash on something, just get a 300blk upper for your AR.
Maybe keep the 300blk as the cheap option, play with it for a while, then spend the money and get a bolt action in 8.6blk. 12" or 16" Q Fix, along with a Porq Chop can.

Edit: here's your game changer....
Thru 8-31-24, buy a Fix or Mini-Fix and get a free suppressor.
Buy the Fix in 8.6, and get the Porq Chop ($1k) for free. That's probably the best value.

Last Edited:
As far as new shooters, quiet, and fun, a suppressed mke mp5 or mp5k clone woudl be my first choice probably. Must be braced or have a stock for new shooters imo. Very soft shooting and fun. Actually a 22 suppressed would probably be right there equal for newbie shooters. Note that this video uses a binary trigger which I would not do with newbie shooters.

3 variants

View: https://youtu.be/q71t70amg5M?si=5XlSIaZHmJnfKJSL

Last Edited:
quiet requires two parts: 1) suppressor and 2) subsonic ammo meaning 1128 fps or less depending on temp and altitude.

Heavy 300 blackout rounds are a good choice and when suppressed are quiet and generally hearing safe.
In an AR with 300 blackout and subsonic ammo you hear the buffer spring and bolt making it not Hollywood quiet.

When using subsonic ammo and a good suppressor, Bolt action/single shot is quietest, blowback actions are next,

Fun vs quiet will be challenging. Sometimes fun requires more velocity like belt fed weapons etc.

I have a Q Mini Fix 300 Blackout that I SBR'd. With my Thunder Chicken and subs it is very quiet, but certainly not "Hollywood Quiet". Maybe slightly quieter than a 9mm suppressed sub gun with subsonic ammo.
No specific use or intent with the Mini Fix, but dang is it fun to shoot!

I know you're asking about bolt action, but have you considered a single shot like the Thompson/Center Contender or Encore?

I once fired a suppressed T/C Contender, owned by someone else, in .44 magnum. It had a short (10"?) barrel and a folding stock, not sure of the OAL but I seem to remember it fit in a tennis racket case with the suppressor mounted. It was absolutely "Hollywood quiet." I fired that gun without ear protection of any kind and all I heard was the fall of the hammer and the clang of a steel gong at 100 yards.

I giggled like a little girl.

I've wanted something similar ever since.

I have a T/C Contender in .223 (14" bbl). I'm currently waiting on ATF approval for a Griffin Armaments Bushwhacker 46. I'm thinking of getting an SBR stamp for that receiver and getting the barrel threaded.

Or, I have a 2nd T/C Contender frame and... ideas. 😁 But no money. 😭

eta: the suppressor mentioned above was a Form 1 the guy made himself.

A lot of great and thoughtful responses so far. THANK YOU!

Sorry for slow comm.

I will be able to reply at greater length this evening.

I have a beautiful old Marlin .357 that isn't threaded and would be a sacrilege to mod.

It is tempting to double down on .357 and bypass the extra caliber.

I agree, this pursuit is going to send me down the hand loading path for sure. This is sure a complicated and expensive hobby!
Ruger/Marlin just released the SBL 1894 model in stainless and 38/357 if you wanted to hit the easy button for a threaded barrel lever gun of high quality and forego 300blk. I say get/do both as 300blk is a lot of fun.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
  • Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
  • Springfield, OR

New Classified Ads

Back Top