JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Talk about odd thinking...ammo manufacturers are allowed 150lbs of powder in the load room at a time, but are allowed 750,000 primers.

Am not concerned about the powder, but all those primers going off will vaporize a small building.

I just scored 4#s of rifle powder (legally) without the haz-mat.
And something else to think about. What hasn't gone up in price substantially, in the last 4 years? Count your blessings if haz-mat is only $24.00-$27.00/48#s

One more way for you to get shafted.
Again there is always some who want to jump up and down and blame greed. All the while ignoring the fact that this is done by some Fed agency. The shippers did not get together one day and dream this up. Some bureaucrat at an agency comes up with this stuff. Amazing how many people who should know better blame this on everyone else. Normally because the people they vote for are the real people doing this too them.

Again there is always some who want to jump up and down and blame greed. All the while ignoring the fact that this is done by some Fed agency. The shippers did not get together one day and dream this up. Some bureaucrat at an agency comes up with this stuff. Amazing how many people who should know better blame this on everyone else. Normally because the people they vote for are the real people doing this too them.
While there are federal hazmat laws, to my knowledge, there is nothing that forces shippers to charge a fee to implement those laws. The fees are made up by the shipping companies.

I'll gladly BBQ my crow if you have something that proves otherwise though.

While there are federal hazmat laws, to my knowledge, there is nothing that forces shippers to charge a fee to implement those laws. The fees are made up by the shipping companies.

I'll gladly BBQ my crow if you have something that proves otherwise though.
Ask someone who works in one of the Common Carriers how it works. I VERY much doubt you would believe them either so moot point. If it makes you feel better to think it costs them nothing to comply with the rules the Feds put on them and they are just shafting us? Hey works for me. :s0092:

Ask someone who works in one of the Common Carriers how it works. I VERY much doubt you would believe them either so moot point. If it makes you feel better to think it costs them nothing to comply with the rules the Feds put on them and they are just shafting us? Hey works for me. :s0092:
I'm not invested enough to feel a particular way about it. I don't order primers and powder online enough to make it an issue. I have seen some sellers waive the hazmat fee as a sales special, so that would indicate to me that it's privately imposed, rather than government mandated.

More an intellectual curiosity than personal vendetta. Water will run off my back the same one way or the other.

1713554459286.png

1713554421845.png

1713554439859.png

1713554508153.png

Aloha, Mark

. I have seen some sellers waive the hazmat fee as a sales special, so that would indicate to me that it's privately imposed, rather than government mandated.
Thats typically on large enough orders that usually cover the hazmat fee. The seller still has to pay the fee to ship.

When my girlfriend's makeup ships for free with the same ORM-D logo.

View attachment 1809058
Because of the way shipping works. I'm allowed to haul a limited number of hazmat materials under a certain weight before needing placards or a hazmat endorsement. Somethings don't really get that exception. Also, more often than not stuff like gunpowder is shipped in quantities you'd need hazmat placards and endorsement anyways at some point in the journey.

Haha, yeah, in the old days the wagon travelled over a bumpy dirt road to deliver flasks of nitroglycerine packed in sawdust to your mine.
They had a few "accidents" now and then. LOL.

My propane supplier added a "hazmat" fee years ago. When I asked him about it he laughed and said he did it to cover raised insurance rates and it wasn't a government requirement. He still collects it to this day. curiously enough, he also just bought 150 acres in Montana. 🤔

I also think its odd we can buy loaded ammo thru the mail but cant mail loaded ammo thru the mail.
Loaded ammo isn't supposed to go through the mail either from or to. It's against postal regulations.

Loaded ammo isn't supposed to go through the mail either from or to. It's against postal regulations.
interesting...
Ive been buying bulk loaded ammo thru the mail for years without paying hazmat fees. I have an order being delivered in a few days that only cost me $12 bucks shipping.

interesting...
Ive been buying bulk loaded ammo thru the mail for years without paying hazmat fees. I have an order being delivered in a few days that only cost me $12 bucks shipping.
I'm not saying it's not done, kind of like speeding only what the rules are. For me I ship all my ammo UPS. Ammo doesn't have a hazmat fee. The only thing it gets is the black and white diamond sticker but there is no extra charge over the regular freight rates. Powder and primers get the extra fee.

I'm not saying it's not done, kind of like speeding only what the rules are. For me I ship all my ammo UPS. Ammo doesn't have a hazmat fee. The only thing it gets is the black and white diamond sticker but there is no extra charge over the regular freight rates. Powder and primers get the extra fee.
Curiosity got me and had to go back to your link, Its referring to "domestic" mail. It doesn't define domestic, but IIRC it means unlicensed, non professional, friend to friend etc. mail.
I don't know if retail stores have to pay a fee to ship live ammo, but Ive bought enough of it to believe they have the elevated privileged to ship without passing on the hazmat fee. But I cant mail you a box of ammo.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top