JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm 63 and have definitely slowed down in the gun acquisition department the past 10 years. It has been a few years since I actually bought one. I've traded into a couple the past two years. I've spent more time acquiring ammo and components that it turns out I rarely use. It's still hard for me to walk past a sale on 9mm ammo for $10/box.

My parents and only sibling/sister have all passed away and I've witnessed firsthand what happens when there is a bunch of "stuff" to deal with. Truthfully it really wasn't that big of a deal, especially if the stuff has enough worth you can at least donate it. One of my nephews was extremely helpful in dealing with the stuff left by both of my parents, and he ended up with a lot of things he could use in the process. He's a great kid (40 yrs. old) and I was happy to see him be able to make use of it. When my mom passed last year, we gave a lot of furniture, belongings, etc. to family, friends and neighbors. We even left some of the furniture in the house after checking to see if that was okay with the purchaser. He was happy to get it and we were happy to not have to deal with it. My wife must have made a dozen visits to St. Vinnie's and Goodwill. Sure, it took a lot of time, but being retired I have time to spend. I also am fortunate enough have a wife, son and friends I can count on to share the load.

When we became empty nesters, my wife and I definitely focused more energy on de-cluttering, but we still have too much junk. We've got lots of room and a 900 square foot shop, so there isn't really a lot of impetus to get rid of stuff we like but don't use.

I'm 63 and have definitely slowed down in the gun acquisition department the past 10 years. It has been a few years since I actually bought one. I've traded into a couple the past two years. I've spent more time acquiring ammo and components that it turns out I rarely use. It's still hard for me to walk past a sale on 9mm ammo for $10/box.

My parents and only sibling/sister have all passed away and I've witnessed firsthand what happens when there is a bunch of "stuff" to deal with. Truthfully it really wasn't that big of a deal, especially if the stuff has enough worth you can at least donate it. One of my nephews was extremely helpful in dealing with the stuff left by both of my parents, and he ended up with a lot of things he could use in the process. He's a great kid (40 yrs. old) and I was happy to see him be able to make use of it. When my mom passed last year, we gave a lot of furniture, belongings, etc. to family, friends and neighbors. We even left some of the furniture in the house after checking to see if that was okay with the purchaser. He was happy to get it and we were happy to not have to deal with it. My wife must have made a dozen visits to St. Vinnie's and Goodwill. Sure, it took a lot of time, but being retired I have time to spend. I also am fortunate enough have a wife, son and friends I can count on to share the load.

When we became empty nesters, my wife and I definitely focused more energy on de-cluttering, but we still have too much junk. We've got lots of room and a 900 square foot shop, so there isn't really a lot of impetus to get rid of stuff we like but don't use.
Yep..extra square footage makes it worse..more space to store all the crap. My wife also regularly goes through and gathers her stuff up for goodwill runs. She has a tactic that works..watches a few episodes of Hoarders..motivates her.

Oh yes, thoughts that start nagging at many sensible people who get some years under their belt. Now that I'm in my 70's fairly well along, I look back on age 50 as pretty sweet. A few years ago, I downsized all my gun stuff. Then about a year ago, I started back adding to it again but I'm keeping my wits about me on that. Accumulation seems to be a very American thing, even the homeless pile lots of otherwise useless crap around their tents. The plain fact is, you can't take any of it with you after death, so I guess it's like comfort food for many of us. Having it around makes us feel good.

There is an abundancy issue for Americans, abetted by a societal habit of borrowing. Our economy and lifestyle here enable us to accumulate. But I think back about typical families when I was growing up, they didn't have nearly as much material clutter in their lives. At least in the circumstances where I grew up. People even went together buying a lawnmower and shared it on weekends.

Rates of consumption on .243 wouldn't normally call for that kind of production. I think M1A's could be ordered in .243 at one time or maybe still, you'd use it up fairly quickly with one of those. Otherwise, you're probably well set with 500 rounds.

Maybe. Two potential scenarios, 1. You'll get tired of it, or 2. Some medical issue will cause you to stay closer to home. Advice for elders: If you're going someplace, be sure it's a place where you can find public comfort stations.

Amen.
That is so true about abundancy issues. For me it is also about finding good deals, or I have wanted X for a long time and now I am in a position to afford X, even though I may not need or use it now. My joke now when I buy something, I claim I am buying it for the kids.

On the flip side, when I shoot my .22's I am still doing it using 550rd bulk packs that I paid less than $18 for, I still have some that I paid $8.88 for...... The last .308 I bought I paid $0.21/rd for and I am almost out but I have 1/2 a case of 7.62x39 that I paid $90/1000 shipped.

Yes, 500 rounds is a lot of .243, but that is the amount of components I had on hand, so I am loading them up.

Good advice about aging.

Been having this convo with my parents...my mom comes at everything with a "sentimental outlook"...I try to convey that "it's just stuff".
"No mom, my kids don't need great aunt Marions piano, sure its nice, but have you even used it for anything but collecting dust?"
On a brighter note, dad finally has decided to sell his "retirement project" Corvette...that only took 15 years of not doing anything to it... :s0110:

Been having this convo with my parents...my mom comes at everything with a "sentimental outlook"...I try to convey that "it's just stuff".
"No mom, my kids don't need great aunt Marions piano, sure its nice, but have you even used it for anything but collecting dust?"
On a brighter note, dad finally has decided to sell his "retirement project" Corvette...that only took 15 years of not doing anything to it... :s0110:
Jeez..just a few days ago I was walking my dog and found an (early) retirement project vette..put some serious thought into it before realizing it was just my sickness ;)

This coming off the heals of selling my Mustang cause I never drove it. My dad had a metallic bronze '75 vette while I was in HS..and I've pondered finding one similar to relive the old days.

Old man talk..I digress..sorry for the thread drift.

For me I have all the stuff I want more or less and basically the space I have is full. So now I look at things and wonder what it will do that nothing else I have will do. And then the next question is where will I put it? Case in point, I have bolt guns in .223, 25-06 and 300 Win Mag. So I see a way cool .243 or 35 Weiland and I am oh boy shiny new baubble. But then I ask myself "what will it/ they do that something I've already got not do?"I already don't have the time I'd like to spend doing load development for the guns I've already got so all it/they would do is look good in the gun safe only coming out for show and tell. So I give it a loving caress and walk away. Now if it's an upgrade, you betcha. My Cz Shadow 2 SAO is way more better/fun/whatever than my Ruger P-89. So away went the big boned mid west farm girl and hello my Check mail order bride.

Jeez..just a few days ago I was walking my dog and found an (early) retirement project vette..put some serious thought into it before realizing it was just my sickness ;)

This coming off the heals of selling my Mustang cause I never drove it. My dad had a metallic bronze '75 vette while I was in HS..and I've pondered finding one similar to relive the old days.

Old man talk..I digress..sorry for the thread drift.
Im hoping he does sell it....keeps me from playing 123 not it! with my brother :s0112:

There's nothing more sentimental than old 8mm films and slides. I am now the official "keeper of the picture stuff". I showed my wife and son a bunch of the slides. They were good sports and feigned interest. After several dozen slides it dawned on me that neither of they had met or even knew of the majority of people and places viewed. I really don't see the need to pass this "legacy" on to my son. I had access to a 8mm film converter. Same thing. Converted a reel or two and then thought: "Why bother?" While storing the film and slide projectors, I came across some old VHS-C tapes of my kids playing sports and band concerts when they were little. It occurred to me that I had never watched nearly all of them. The kids are 30 and 26 now. :(

I'll probably offer the projectors/screen/slides/film reels to my nephew in a super low price package deal, as in "I'll give you $20 to take it off my hands." He'll likely want more. :p

Damn I wish this thread had come along years ago. I'm 83 and worked 'till I was 78. It was not a financial issue, I just liked work, the give and take at work, and decent exercise. My knees crapped and I gave up work. After my knees crapped arthritis set in. I've given to family members a pile of pistols that were a choir to rack. All my AR's are side charge or I'd dump them. I have, I'll bet 12/15 guns yet to shoot for the first time and ammo for all. I used to hunt elk with a 338 WM but it began beating me up. I had a sweet 300 WM in an old model 77 and I recently gave that away. It's all 308 now. And hunting is an adventure, if I take a tumble it's likely I cant get up by myself. None of this is a bubblegum, I've had the very best of a life and it remains full of good family and great friends. And recently I've started the downsize thing this thread is all about. And for me here's the hard part, every time I let go of something or pass an item on it's a strong reminder that I either cant do it anymore or it's dangerous. And that's the part I hate. I'm two plus years into a battle with cancer and so far I've been licking azz. We'll see how that turns out. And oddly enough, today was the day I started on going through all the gun stuff, ammo, guns, parts, accessories , etc. I come in for a beer, sit down and read this thread. Ironic . . . . ..

Something is really only a good deal if you have a actual use for it.

With that said....
Some things are important to have for the sentimental value for them.

At one time I had a lot of antique muzzle loading firearms....
While they were neat...and some were even shootable...they took up a lot of room and required time and maintaining.
Sooooo.....
I focused my collection to firearms of the Western Fur Trade...sure some thing overlap...
But it was good to have a focus...and have a collection of quality versus one of quantity.

What is enough...?
Well....
Something to keep in mind is...
One man's extreme is just another man's starting point...:D

What are you wanting out of your stuff....?
Does what you have provide something for you...?

And as always....
It is wise to make sure what we own....does not own us.
Andy

There's nothing more sentimental than old 8mm films and slides. I am now the official "keeper of the picture stuff". I showed my wife and son a bunch of the slides. They were good sports and feigned interest. After several dozen slides it dawned on me that neither of they had met or even knew of the majority of people and places viewed. I really don't see the need to pass this "legacy" on to my son. I had access to a 8mm film converter. Same thing. Converted a reel or two and then thought: "Why bother?" While storing the film and slide projectors, I came across some old VHS-C tapes of my kids playing sports and band concerts when they were little. It occurred to me that I had never watched nearly all of them. The kids are 30 and 26 now. :(

I'll probably offer the projectors/screen/slides/film reels to my nephew in a super low price package deal, as in "I'll give you $20 to take it off my hands." He'll likely want more. :p
That is a hard one to come to terms with...family pics/vids that is..there comes a point when no one has a clue who the people in them are...so, whudda ya do with them?

Never enough stuff. It's unamerican to stop buying, even for one minute. Gotta spend spend spend or the whole thing stops

That is a hard one to come to terms with...family pics/vids that is..there comes a point when no one has a clue who the people in them are...so, whudda ya do with them?
Throw em away. I don't even want the ones where I do know the people in them. Told my mom years ago to give it all to my sister because it's going in the landfill if you will any of it to me. I'd rather just forget and be forgotten when my time is up, pictures slow that process.

Last Edited:
My exact predicament. When Mom passed away in December, she had several plastic totes full of photographs. I've sent some to other relatives for them to do with as they please. I really don't think I want to stick my son with what's left. I'll likely high-grade the pile and send the majority to a landfill. There is a pile of memories there.

I think of the thousands and thousands of digital pictures my wife has taken over the years. That's a lot less of a storage room problem, but man are there a ton of pictures nobody ever needs to see again. She also has several scrap books for things we've done - camping trips, Yellowstone Park, Disneyland, etc. I'll let the kids worry about those. The truth is, if they all went away, there wouldn't be anyone down the road asking: "Whatever happened to..."

Full disclosure: Going through Mom's photos did put a smile on my face. It reinforced my belief that I've had a great life.

For me it is also about finding good deals, or I have wanted X for a long time and now I am in a position to afford X, even though I may not need or use it now.
My son's father in law inherited his share of a multi-million dollar estate several years ago. He commenced to buy a $80K pickup truck, hot rod stuff, filled a shop building with every conceivable auto tool, basically everything he's wanted but previously lacked the funds to buy. Then he took on a new wife (he's late 70's in age) set up a no-good step son in business that went bust, etc., etc. Lately he called by son and begged for a loan of $10K to bail a hot rod project out of a resto shop. My son started looking into this guy's finances, found out his house has been refied three times and there was no equity left. So now the guy is broke again after buying all that stuff that he wanted.

For me I have all the stuff I want more or less and basically the space I have is full.
I think there should be a follow-on to Parkinson's Law, that is, "Work expands to fill the time allotted for its completion," which might be something like, "Stuff fills the amount of space allowed for storage."

There's nothing more sentimental than old 8mm films and slides. I am now the official "keeper of the picture stuff". I showed my wife and son a bunch of the slides. They were good sports and feigned interest. After several dozen slides it dawned on me that neither of they had met or even knew of the majority of people and places viewed. I really don't see the need to pass this "legacy" on to my son. I had access to a 8mm film converter. Same thing. Converted a reel or two and then thought: "Why bother?" While storing the film and slide projectors, I came across some old VHS-C tapes of my kids playing sports and band concerts when they were little. It occurred to me that I had never watched nearly all of them. The kids are 30 and 26 now
Yeah, similar situation here. I've become the repository for family documentation. With the help of my son, we did the conversion of all my dad's 8mm home movie film from 1954 to about 1970-something. It was very satisfying, yet the rush wasn't long lasting.

And it isn't just my own stuff, but a whole bunch of my dad's which I inherited when my mom died. And family photos from many sources. My son is the documentarian in my family and I'm glad someone has a bit of interest in it.

And for me here's the hard part, every time I let go of something or pass an item on it's a strong reminder that I either cant do it anymore or it's dangerous.
When my mom died in 2017, there was a house full of stuff to go through. Which also included residue from her parents who died 1979, 81. She lived 1,200 miles away, so I was aware that I'd have to be very selective about what I wanted to retain and transport to my own home. There were several items of furniture that I wanted to keep, including one that was already mine but had been stored (for over 40 years) at my mom's place. I wrestled for weeks with how I was going to accomplish what I wanted to do. Finally, I decided to just drive down there in my Crown Victoria and only take back what I could fit in and on the car, that's it. One furniture item I wanted was an antique rocking chair; I figured I could lash that on top of the car. Finally, I even gave up that idea. I just limited myself to what would fit in the car and that was all. I simply had to mentally let go. These years later, I have no regrets. If I'd rented or truck or whatever and brought a bunch more stuff home, it would just be taking up a lot of space now. I'm glad I forced myself to let go.

My exact predicament. When Mom passed away in December, she had several plastic totes full of photographs. I've sent some to other relatives for them to do with as they please. I really don't think I want to stick my son with what's left. I'll likely high-grade the pile and send the majority to a landfill. There is a pile of memories there.

I think of the thousands and thousands of digital pictures my wife has taken over the years. That's a lot less of a storage room problem, but man are there a ton of pictures nobody ever needs to see again. She also has several scrap books for things we've done - camping trips, Yellowstone Park, Disneyland, etc. I'll let the kids worry about those. The truth is, if they all went away, there wouldn't be anyone down the road asking: "Whatever happened to..."

Full disclosure: Going through Mom's photos did put a smile on my face. It reinforced my belief that I've had a great life.
For me, the nice thing about digital is I use them as background/screen savers on my laptop. Anytime I open it up I see a lot of my history.

My son's father in law inherited his share of a multi-million dollar estate several years ago. He commenced to buy a $80K pickup truck, hot rod stuff, filled a shop building with every conceivable auto tool, basically everything he's wanted but previously lacked the funds to buy. Then he took on a new wife (he's late 70's in age) set up a no-good step son in business that went bust, etc., etc. Lately he called by son and begged for a loan of $10K to bail a hot rod project out of a resto shop. My son started looking into this guy's finances, found out his house has been refied three times and there was no equity left. So now the guy is broke again after buying all that stuff that he wanted.
That happens to way to many people that come into money. Just to be clear, I am in a financial position where I can buy more things that I want outright. We are largely debit free with only 2 small loans that we could pay off now if we needed to, but the interest is under 3% on both so no rush to pay off early. Our retirement portfolios are on track for where we want to be.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads