JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Loaded up some 12ga 2in low recoil slugs to try out

IMG_20240304_185531146.jpg

After requiring a few more parts for the Hornady, LNL AP I got busy Cleaning out the black grease that I used when I first got, cleaned it up a bit then lubed it with the red and tacky grease.
After that was completed I installed the new #6 shell plate and set it up with a set of Lee .357 dies.
Although I have liked Lee dies in the past, in the not to distant future, I'm going to be replacing them all with Hornady dies.

IMG_2915.jpeg IMG_2918.jpeg

After requiring a few more parts for the Hornady, LNL AP I got busy Cleaning out the black grease that I used when I first got, cleaned it up a bit then lubed it with the red and tacky grease.
After that was completed I installed the new #6 shell plate and set it up with a set of Lee .357 dies.
Although I have liked Lee dies in the past, in the not to distant future, I'm going to be replacing them all with Hornady dies.

View attachment 1840535 View attachment 1840537
Why the Hornady dies Jimbo? Just curious. Nice looking boolits :p

I cant see howbit would only take an 1.5 hours to cast 1000 bullets .,. I might have to employ you if you cast 357 ? Lol ... What press are you using and what do you use to cast?
With a 6 cavity mold and a good casting pot, It doesn't take too long.
I use a think piece of metal to set the mold on to help it cool/stay cool, I also use a hotplate set at 400° with a thick piece of metal on it to pre-heat my mold(s) or keep the mold warm while refilling the pot

Last Edited:

View attachment 1840535 View attachment 1840537
I too, have used (and still use) Lee dies, along with Lyman, Hornady, Redding, Dillon, and RCBS. I have had the most issues with Hornady and Lee. My favorite, especially for a progressive press is Dillon (now hideously expensive and seemingly unavailable), followed by RCBS. I don't plan on purchasing any Lee or Hornady dies in the future. I prefer RCBS to "I see BS" (Hornady and Lee) :D

Why the Hornady dies Jimbo? Just curious. Nice looking boolits :p
Thanks brother, while looking adequate and all, they are actually crimp test subjects and inert.
The Lee dies use the auto-disc actuator to flare the cases, the Hornady sets actually have a flair die. The way I have the 357 dies set up, I'm using the Lee auto-disc actuator in the #2 position to flare the cases….:eek:
you know me, I like uniformity with my reloading parts.

I will definitely be keeping the Lee factory crimp dies!!! ;)

I too, have used (and still use) Lee dies, along with Lyman, Hornady, Redding, Dillon, and RCBS. I have had the most issues with Hornady and Lee. My favorite, especially for a progressive press is Dillon (now hideously expensive and seemingly unavailable), followed by RCBS. I don't plan on purchasing any Lee or Hornady dies in the future. I prefer RCBS to "I see BS" (Hornady and Lee) :D
See the post above.
I have not had any problems with the Hornady pistol dies at all, I cannot say the same about the Hornady 223 dies that I had got years ago. I have since acquired a set of Forester FL 223 REM Bench Rest dies since I do all my sizing and priming off press so basically I could actually load 223 on a single stage press if I used the ChargeMaster to throw each charge but I did buy another case activated powder drop just for rifle calibers.

Last Edited:
Thanks brother, while looking adequate and all, they are actualitycrimp test subjects and inert.
The Lee dies use the auto-disc actuator to flare the cases, the Hornady sets actually have a flair die. The way I have the 357 dies set up, I'm using the Lee auto-disc actuator in the #2 position to flare the cases….:eek:
you know me, I like uniformity with my reloading parts.

I will definitely be keeping the Lee factory crimp dies!!! ;)

See the post above.
I have not had any problems with the Hornady pistol dies at all, I cannot say the same about the Hornady 223 dies that I had got years ago. I have since acquired a set of Forester FL 223 REM Bench Rest dies since I do all my sizing and priming off press so basically I could actually load 223 on a single stage press if I used the ChargeMaster to throw each charge but I did buy another case activated powder drop just for rifle calibers.
Oh interesting. So you want the flair to be a separate step is that right? Genuine curiosity. I'm always interested in things you are trying.

Me too, I keep most of my ideal, RCBS, Lyman ---steel molds wrapped and in a harbor freight organizer, many of my lees are kept in original boxes. The rest live in plastic tubs.

View attachment 1840853
I don't have quite that many haha. But that's awesome. I have mostly Lee being a hobby shooter. I just bought 2 Arsenal molds for .357 last year. Really looking forward to trying them. I have an ooolllld Ideal that I got from a friend here as well. It needs a little love it's steel. I just haven't gotten around to it.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top