JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Getting real tired of the doom merchants on youtube. Prepper training, learning, all good. But most of these jackhats are just selling clickbaitable fear. Canadian Prepper's the worst.

For a while I thought Canadian Prepper was the most interesting YouTube prepper, but then I watched him say things that I didn't believe, and I quit watching. Those kinds of videos I watch to learn things; what do buy, what to do, how to do it. When they extend beyond that to forecasting the future or infusing (the wrong!) politics, I lose interest.

For a while I thought Canadian Prepper was the most interesting YouTube prepper, but then I watched him say things that I didn't believe, and I quit watching. Those kinds of videos I watch to learn things; what do buy, what to do, how to do it. When they extend beyond that to forecasting the future or infusing (the wrong!) politics, I lose interest.
Yep..I could almost put up with the alarmist tripe...if it was even handed. Such as..shtf is coming, get ready. Not..Putin is great..US and Nato..bad. His true colors came out.

Decided to up my prep organization a notch and bought 6 vertical lockers off of Amazon. Overall dimensions for each locker unit = 15" wide, 72" tall, 17" deep, with 6 locking 15"x 12" x 17" compartments. They're thin sheet metal, so this would not count as a safe or anything, but a single compartment can hold 110 standard capacity AR mags (10 stacks of 11 mags) with some room to spare. Each shelf is rated for 50lbs, though I doubt I'll put that much weight on. Assembly is pretty straightforward, the locks and keys are numbered so you can easily tell which goes to which, and the locker doors have slots for labels. So far I've only assembled 2, but they are reasonably sturdy and keep things looking clean and tidy. Can't wait to get them all set up!

Decided to up my prep organization a notch and bought 6 vertical lockers off of Amazon. Overall dimensions for each locker unit = 15" wide, 72" tall, 17" deep, with 6 locking 15"x 12" x 17" compartments. They're thin sheet metal, so this would not count as a safe or anything, but a single compartment can hold 110 standard capacity AR mags (10 stacks of 11 mags) with some room to spare. Each shelf is rated for 50lbs, though I doubt I'll put that much weight on. Assembly is pretty straightforward, the locks and keys are numbered so you can easily tell which goes to which, and the locker doors have slots for labels. So far I've only assembled 2, but they are reasonably sturdy and keep things looking clean and tidy. Can't wait to get them all set up!
It might make sense to re-key them to the same key unless you got a master key with them.

Are you preparing for a small tactical nuke? :eek:

:D
Lol..ya know..I figured Salem would be spared from one of the nukes...just Portland would get a wallop.

Turns out not to be the case. Maybe I should get two twix bars. And a bottle of Vodka.

Screenshot 2024-05-15 100315.png

Lol..ya know..I figured Salem would be spared from one of the nukes...just Portland would get a wallop.

Turns out not to be the case. Maybe I should get two twix bars. And a bottle of Vodka.

View attachment 1882067
The thing about nuclear missiles is that they can undershoot/overshoot & veer off course - rather easily. especially those from third world countries. US missiles are purportedly quite accurate, but I would not count on the accuracy of nukes from Russia or China, and especially N. Korea, being so accurate that those meant for Portland or Seattle, that they do not miss by tens or even hundreds of miles - in any direction.

IIRC, Portland is a secondary target - i.e., theoretically not meant to be hit in the first wave. Seattle/Puget Sound region, with its many military installations and being a primary/major commercial port for the west coast, is a primary first wave target.

I have also read that at least some Russian missiles still target outdated targets - such as decommissioned silos in the midwest

Caveat - IIRC, at least one person somewhere, maybe here, has disputed one or both of these assertions. Either way, I would not count on a being a mere 50 miles from a target as reducing the impact of a nuclear exchange. As the old saying goes, "close enough" counts only in horse shoes, hand grenades and nuclear devices.

OTOH - I do prefer to be upwind of targets rather than downwind, and preferably have elevated terrain (hills/mountains/etc.) between me and the targets, rather than be line of sight.

The thing about nuclear missiles is that they can undershoot/overshoot & veer off course - rather easily. especially those from third world countries. US missiles are purportedly quite accurate, but I would not count on the accuracy of nukes from Russia or China, and especially N. Korea, being so accurate that those meant for Portland or Seattle, that they do not miss by tens or even hundreds of miles - in any direction.

IIRC, Portland is a secondary target - i.e., theoretically not meant to be hit in the first wave. Seattle/Puget Sound region, with its many military installations and being a primary/major commercial port for the west coast, is a primary first wave target.

I have also read that at least some Russian missiles still target outdated targets - such as decommissioned silos in the midwest

Caveat - IIRC, at least one person somewhere, maybe here, has disputed one or both of these assertions. Either way, I would not count on a being a mere 50 miles from a target as reducing the impact of a nuclear exchange. As the old saying goes, "close enough" counts only in horse shoes, hand grenades and nuclear devices.

OTOH - I do prefer to be upwind of targets rather than downwind, and preferably have elevated terrain (hills/mountains/etc.) between me and the targets, rather than be line of sight.
I'll pass all of these Helpful Hints and Location Guidelines on to my next real estate agent. She probably gets this all the time.

Last Edited:
I'll pass all of these Helpful Hints and Location Guidelines on to my next real estate agent. She probably gets this all the time.

That is one reason why, when I was shopping properties, I would go out and do a drive-by first, after looking at them on the map, including a satellite view and if possible, street view.

That and the fact that my agent sucked.

Today I finished mowing my "lawn".

When I started about a week ago (a day or two after it stopped raining) it was knee high. By the time I finished it was waist high. My backyard is kind of a proper lawn - mostly flat. But the grass has a lot of the wild grass in it, and it is lumpy. It really should be removed and replanted with proper sod or at least reseeded with proper grass seed. The lawn at the entrance of the driveway is an area I killed off from weeds when I moved here, made it flat (but sloped up) and seeded, so it is much easier to mow.

The wild grass is thick stalks and grows high fast - so I wind up bending it over with the conventional mower. I really should mow it with a flail mower first but my flail mower is broken.

Anyway I wanted to get the grass near the house manageable so I can keep it short during the summer.

I may have to hire someone to come in and mow the meadows around the house as it takes too long to mow with the walk behind flail mower. But I will decide how to handle that come Aug when the grass starts to dry out and fire danger is increasing.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews