JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Considering a trade of an Oregon gun for a Vancouver gun. Do we have to ship both ways ffl to ffl? My oregon G19 has 15 rnd mags. Is this another issue to go to Washington?

Stuff online talks around it but a lot of doublespeak. It seems like this used to be a lot simpler. Thanks.

Washington FFLs can't legally transfer standard capacity mags to buyers; the limit is 10 round capacity. So, don't ship (or transport) your 15 rd mags to the WA FFL. Instead, improvise.

My last purchase from an OR seller, he mailed the standard capacity mags to my brother in a free state, using the pre-addressed USPS box that I provided. Someday (soon, I hope), Bro will be able to legally mail those standard capacity mags to me. Until then, they just sit in that USPS box.

There are, of course, many other sorts of improvisation that depend greatly upon how well a seller & buyer know & trust one another.

Considering a trade of an Oregon gun for a Vancouver gun. Do we have to ship both ways ffl to ffl? My oregon G19 has 15 rnd mags. Is this another issue to go to Washington?

Stuff online talks around it but a lot of doublespeak. It seems like this used to be a lot simpler. Thanks.
Personally with all the new bills being passed in Washington I stopped selling/trading with Washington buyers within the last week. To me it's too much of a risk of legal action being brought upon you. What I did a a few weeks ago is go to guns and ammo its a gun store in Vancouver. Do a frame or lower transfer and they should be able to get it same day. If you try to transfer as a pistol they it's all gets screwy. It's a sacrifice but have him come to Portland to transfer you the pistol then go to Vancouver and do his transfer.

Fairly simple per federal regs/rules (per ATF):

Any interstate handgun transfer must to take place in the buyer's state of residence.

Any other GCA gun transfer can take place in the seller's state of residence as long as the laws of the seller's state residence AND the laws of the buyer's state residence are followed. Or the transfer can happen in the buyer's state. Up to the two parties.

If you're in Portland and he's in Vancouver this is what I would do -

Vancouver member meets you at an FFL in Portland. He transfers his gun to you. Due to the fact you're both in Oregon you are free to give him the mags if he wants them. He takes full responsibility "importing" them back into Washington. It's up to the buyer. Once the first transfer is done or in the queue you can turn around and follow him up to his FFL in Vancouver. Then you transfer the Glock to him with no mags (cause he already has them).

Also I would give him the slide in the parking lot and transfer just the frame. No wait time for the Washington buyer and he gets to leave with it the same day.

I just did this process and it was seamless. I would avoid shipping. But that's just me.

Also I would give him the slide in the parking lot and transfer just the frame. No wait time for the Washington buyer and he gets to leave with it the same day.
I do not understand this part...
Is there no waiting period if only the frame is sold / transferred ?
But there is a waiting period if the slide is included with the frame?

What they are wanting to do is transfer the frame as "other" not a handgun. While it may work before anyone makes a drive to try it I would contact the FFL first and see if they are willing to do this. Rather than meet up and try it only to be told no. I would NOT tell the FFL what you are doing either. Just ask them if they can transfer a frame as other and go from there. If they say yes, then you can make the deal. If you tell the FFL what you are doing I would guess there is a far better chance they are going to say no.

Correct. If you sell just the lower/frame it's processed differently and you can walk out with it same day. If it's sold as a complete gun it goes into the waiting period.

But like @Alexx1401 said I would not verbalize what you're doing to the FFL. Simply state you would like to transfer a lower as "other." I wouldn't disclose that you already have the slide in your possession. It's not illegal but some individuals hate freedom and will refuse service for whatever reason…..

Loopholes are great.

Currently Washington State law imposes state transfer requirements on all pistols, and on all semiautomatic rifles. Everything else (shotguns, manual rifles, frames and receivers) is a quick two page Federal 4473 and out the door unless a delay or deny comes back.

That will change when WA gets its integrated background check system up.

Some FFLs here will transfer a complete Glock frame as a frame. Others will only transfer a Glock frame as a frame if the trigger has been removed. They all have various policies.

American Pawn in Vancouver will transfer the frame as other (trigger and all internal parts installed). That's where I did my last transfer this way with an individual in Washington.

Unless something has changed.

Correct. If you sell just the lower/frame it's processed differently and you can walk out with it same day. If it's sold as a complete gun it goes into the waiting period.

But like @Alexx1401 said I would not verbalize what you're doing to the FFL. Simply state you would like to transfer a lower as "other." I wouldn't disclose that you already have the slide in your possession. It's not illegal but some individuals hate freedom and will refuse service for whatever reason…..

Loopholes are great.
I suspect what any FFL who says no is in fear of is the AG here. If someone tells them what they are doing the FFL is going to wonder if they are being set up by the AG. Given how rabid anti gun he is I can see why they would think that possible.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top