JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have worked in I.T. for over a decade. I use them, my company uses them, and a lot of really smart people I know use them. The key is to use them correctly.
Right

Except you're forgetting the axiom: If man can make it, man can break it.

Often the best solution is the simplest one.

Right

Except you're forgetting the axiom: If man can make it, man can break it.

Often the best solution is the simplest one.
Right.

Like remembering a single complex password, using a good password manager, and following industry best practices, one of which is not to use any other password as your password manager's master password.

Had these things been done, none of this would be an issue.

The weakest link isn't tech, it's people doing stupid things, being ignorant, or outright lazy and using easily guessable passwords.

Right.

The weakest link isn't tech, it's people doing stupid things, being ignorant, or outright lazy and using easily guessable passwords.
Of, over time, it is; because it will always, eventually, break.

This has been proven, and is not debatable.

ETA: Wait a darn minute, did I just take the bait? Who said anything about the weakest link?

Right.

Like remembering a single complex password, using a good password manager, and following industry best practices, one of which is not to use any other password as your password manager's master password.

Had these things been done, none of this would be an issue.

I don't personally use password managers, but I will agree about the human element. I was at a neighbor's house a few years ago helping her with her Wi-Fi. When I checked her laptop, she told me her laptop password, which was a 4 digit number. When we talked about security later, I mentioned not re-using passwords, and as an example, told her that she shouldn't use her credit card PIN as her laptop password. She and her daughter whipped their heads around and stared at me in a panic.

This was the same person, by the way, who got her car stolen because she left it running in her driveway to charge her cell phone.

I don't personally use password managers, but I will agree about the human element. I was at a neighbor's house a few years ago helping her with her Wi-Fi. When I checked her laptop, she told me her laptop password, which was a 4 digit number. When we talked about security later, I mentioned not re-using passwords, and as an example, told her that she shouldn't use her credit card PIN as her laptop password. She and her daughter whipped their heads around and stared at me in a panic.

This was the same person, by the way, who got her car stolen because she left it running in her driveway to charge her cell phone.
I got a whole lecture from an IT guy about not reusing passwords. A long one. And I was trapped on a ladder he was holding at the time while I had loose drywall over my head I needed to secure. Like, Jesus H Christ dude, if it'll shut you up I'll comply. bubblegum sake.

I got a whole lecture from an IT guy about not reusing passwords. A long one. And I was trapped on a ladder he was holding at the time while I had loose drywall over my head I needed to secure. Like, Jesus H Christ dude, if it'll shut you up I'll comply. bubblegum sake.
How could you not "accidentally" drop that drywall?

I don't know much about track tension, but I can personally attest to the grease thing! They sure squirm around a lot less.
1714875853844.png

One day several years ago, she was taking care of another neighbor's dog while he was on vacation. The dog is over in my yard at 1:00 in the morning, barking at fecking nothing and I can't get back to sleep. I get up, corral the dog and bring him to her house. She and a friend are in her backyard drinking. I try to tell her the dog is barking and keeping me up, but she keeps going "Come have a drink with us!" I finally get her to understand that it's late and I have work tomorrow, so she asks me to put the dog in her house, which I happily do. I head back to my house through the backyards, only to see the dog race past me on its way back to my yard. Someone had apparently opened the door... To top it off, this woman has a dog of her own that somehow never gets out.

This is basically the entire crux of all security. You can make a system that is unbeatable if it is used correctly every single time, but you cannot make one that is impervious to ignorance and laziness. And the tighter you make the system against misuse the more you incentivize shortcuts and workarounds. It is basically a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Case in point is the password manager itself. Used properly they are incredibly secure, and can increase the security of systems they are used with. Use them lazily and they are a concentrated weak point that can compromise dozens more systems. How do you reconcile that gap? I bet if you can figure that out you could have a trillion dollar business and take over the entire security sector of everything. Or, to whit, how do you fix the weakest link when the weakest link is us.

This is basically the entire crux of all security. You can make a system that is unbeatable if it is used correctly every single time, but you cannot make one that is impervious to ignorance and laziness. And the tighter you make the system against misuse the more you incentivize shortcuts and workarounds. It is basically a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Case in point is the password manager itself. Used properly they are incredibly secure, and can increase the security of systems they are used with. Use them lazily and they are a concentrated weak point that can compromise dozens more systems. How do you reconcile that gap? I bet if you can figure that out you could have a trillion dollar business and take over the entire security sector of everything. Or, to whit, how do you fix the weakest link when the weakest link is us.
1714884602552.png

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads