JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I use Gaia GPS. Maps get downloaded to my phone. No cellular signal required.

Cell signals and GPS signals are two different things. Using your phone (Google Maps in this example), you should be able to to download the area beforehand (even an entire state) for offline use and still use GPS. Look in Maps settings.

I think a cell signal is used to download the maps as needed plus live updates on traffic patterns, speed traps, and accidents.
Thanks, but you are missing my point, as did the majority of people that answered a similar question that my wife posed on a different forum.
But I think backhandedly, both of you did answer my question.

Because of that, I will rephrase my question.

Can the GPS function of the phone work when the phone does not have a cell connection?

Thanks, but you are missing my point, as did the majority of people that answered a similar question that my wife posed on a different forum.

Can the GPS function of the phone work when the phone does not have a cell connection?
Yes, it can. Go into the settings of your maps app and configure for offline use.
What kind of phone do you have and what app are you using for navigation?

I'll try to help you configure.

With an iPhone You can even take it overseas and get on wifi and download offline maps for your area so when you travel you can still navigate with your phone without foreign cell service, this trick has saved me many times , walking out of a foreign airport jumping into a rental car and having no idea where to go with only an address

There was nothing backhanded. You asked a question, it was answered.

Yes, that's the whole point of having downloaded maps.

Yes, it can. Go into the settings of your maps app and configure for offline use.
What kind of phone do you have and what app are you using for navigation?

I'll try to help you configure.
I appreciate the offer, but the phone I have now is horribly outdated. It is one of the things on "the list" to take care of, but I haven't gotten there yet.

Thanks for the others that added info for me.

Another question, any way to know which phones have better GPS reception than others?

Another question, any way to know which phones have better GPS reception than others?
Yes, look for cell phones that have a GPS chipset that uses all the different GPS satellite systems, the more satellite systems the better reception. Secondly, the phones main processor chip also affects app performance, worth noting.

Long version: it can take some digging to find the phones chipset specs but very worth it if intending to use your phone as a primary navigation source outside of cell range. There are a handful of systems in use by country, the US uses "GPS" (how original...), Russias system is "GLONASS". Europe uses "Galileo". There are some other countries systems too I cant recall. The more systems the chipset is programmed to use, the better more reliable reception you will have in the field. Generally this is also reflected in the phones price, but again... worth it (I don't have any lack of reception issues others claim...)

Side note in case it comes up, GPS devices are receivers only. A GPS device is not a transmitter but only receives signals from the satellites, the chipset then processes the location to display on the phone. So no need to worry about other countries tracking anyone.

Just need a tinfoil hat for the phone and that fixes that :D
Actually the phones manufacturer does use the devices GPS to track you. If you use an Android phone Google tracks everywhere you go even off grid.
Google at least, allows you to turn that feature off. Its in the system settings under "location services"

Actually the phones manufacturer does use the devices GPS to track you. If you use an Android phone Google tracks everywhere you go even off grid.
Google at least, allows you to turn that feature off. Its in the system settings under "location services"
I have LONG figured the phone was "keeping track" of me. Just never cared. Same with them keeping track of my calls and text stuff. Lead a pretty boring life so they are welcome. Now if I decided to take up a life of crime? I would leave the damn phone at home. It seems shocking to me how many criminals get tripped up by their damn phones. :confused: Seems like its in the news and such enough that they would know but, lot of criminals do make Cops jobs far easier. :s0140:

The iPhone you can turn location services off as well. But that does not keep the cell phone from tracking you since your cellphone checks in with cell sites all over the world anyways. When we traveled to Europe the hotels wanted our passport. I don't remember if they scanned ii or not. If they did scan it it would probably go to INTERPOL to see if you are wanted for a crime or not.

A little thread drift, but speaking of cell/GPS tracking...

Epstein strikes from beyond the grave:
Radiologist who drove wife and kids off cliff was having psychotic break and thought children 'could be trafficked', doctors say

Recently saw a good deal on a Garmin instinct 2 solar and it got me thinking... maybe I should get one or something similar for back county hiking and hunting. Onx tracking is the #1 cause of drain on my phone and the ability to drop a pin and track my location on a watch that can go weeks(with solar charging) was very appealing to me. Mainly just to tell time and help keep my bearings but also track my activities and sleep. I'd rather spend a few hundred on a watch I could use daily vs a few hundred on gps only Device I'd only use when in the woods.
Any of you guys using smart watches and have recommendations? Are they practical or hard to use being so small? Or anything else I should look at?
Thanks!
Anyone want to find you?

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews