JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My neighbor is taking me hunting in a couple weeks. Going to Eastern WA for Mule Deer. Lots of walking he says. The only gun I have to hunt with is a 16" ar10 in 308. It's pretty heavy. Should I roll with that for my first time or buy a designated bolt gun for hunting? What's a good starting rifle?
Thanks in advance for the advice

To me and this is just my opinion you don't have time to become familiar with a new rifle in two weeks. I would simply get a five round clip for the ar10 and lug that around. 308 is an excellent cartridge to hunt deer with. Normally around the middle of June I start getting ready for hunting as by then in Oregon i know what my hunts will be. Use what you have for now and if you enjoy hunting plan to buy a dedicated hunting rifle. Since it will be your first hunting rifle buy it in a cartridge that you can use on deer and elk. My recommendation is 30-06 others would suggest other cartridges. This is just my recomendation.

A hunting rifle is simply a rifle you use to hunt with ...be it a flintlock or a AR10.
Both are rifles...both can be used for hunting.

With that said....
Most of my hunting has been more of hiking with a gun...
So I prefer a firearm that I can carry all day and still make hits with , when I am :
Tired...
Hungry...
Wet....
Cold....
As well as :
In poor light
And usually without a rest or support....

Some rifles lend themselves to this type of shooting more than others.

Since you only have 2 weeks before the hunt , I'd suggest that you use the rifle you have...
And if you like the idea of hunting...maybe start looking for a rifle that suits how and where you are going to hunt , when you get back from your trip.
Andy

My neighbor is taking me hunting in a couple weeks. Going to Eastern WA for Mule Deer. Lots of walking he says. The only gun I have to hunt with is a 16" ar10 in 308. It's pretty heavy. Should I roll with that for my first time or buy a designated bolt gun for hunting? What's a good starting rifle?
Thanks in advance for the advice
Sportsmans is selling Savage bolt guns with a usable scope on it for $300 right now so do that.
Get it in .308.

Use the AR10.
You have two weeks to :
Get a good, comfortable sling.
Get a 5 or 10 round mag. (I don't see a mag capacity limit for WA in the regs)
Get some bona fide hunting ammo.
Get sighted in with your hunting ammo.

I'd get crackin' right now !

Edit:
If your hunting partner is using a Rhino, get a Rhino and learn how to use it !

Last Edited:
I have not been on very many hunts where the gun made a big difference in bringing home dinner. Learning to hunt is a learning curve. your first couple hunts you need to learn alot! Your AR will not hold you back! I have shot a few deer, none of them over 100 yds, most of them at less than 50 yards! There are places you will need a specialized rifle, like Great Plains states, or shooting over flat fields. But that is probably not going to be the case where you are going. Good Luck!

Use the AR10.
You have two weeks to :
Get a good, comfortable sling.
Get a 5 round mag to be legal.
Get some bona fide hunting ammo.
Get sighted in with your hunting ammo.

I'd get crackin' right now !

Edit:
If your hunting partner is using a Rhino, get a Rhino and learn how to use it !
I thought there was no round limit for rifles. Or is there?

As much as I believe the AR10 is the last thing I'd want to lug around with me while waking around looking for an ungulate to whack, but it's a bit late to be arming up for a trip. Use what you have for now. If you get into it, then shop for a purpose suited weapon.

Your focus right now should be on ammo. Whatever you do, don't use that milsurp Yugoslavian 147 grain 7.62x51 you got 13 years ago in a sling pack at bimart. Look for something with a good bullet designed for the purpose. Try a couple different loads if you can and see what works best in your gun.

You'd be better off buying a Safeway gift card than new gun right now. Only one offers a guarantee of meat in the freezer.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top