JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I lived many years in the area.......was there when the Santa Anna winds drove a wildfire across the freeway through Hope Ranch to the beach. We were working one of our boats off from Coal Oil point and another one removing a pier at Elwood beach. I was the prime salvage contractor for the Channel Islands National Park, worked a lot for the USN, and the State of California.

We would go out on his big yaht and shoot SHOTGUNS and 22s lol he had 4 .10/22 Rifle on the boat lol well I can say we were not that safe back then lol HEHEE drink a beer throw the bottle in the water then shoot at it with the 22 mmmmmm young dumb and you know the rest

I had a fun one, I was fishing the bottom end of the Multnohoma Channel near the Cement plant, and this azzhat in a YUGE boat tried to go between me and the pier, I was about 2 rod lengths from the pier, and had to turn hard and throttle up my kicker full to keep from getting hit! This same Azzhat also almost took out several other boats on his way up river, several of us called both the Sheriffs office AND the U.S.C.G. who showed up and stopped the boat! The owner initially refused to allow the Sheriff deputies to board, demanding every one wait until the Coast Guard showed up. When the C.G. did finally show, they boarded with guns drawn, and they arrested the owner, and towed that boat. Last time I was in the area, that big boat was still sitting on blocks at Fred's Marina, 10 years or so now!!!
I don't know what he was doing, but apparently almost hitting us was the least of his offenses!:eek:

I lived many years in the area.......was there when the Santa Anna winds drove a wildfire across the freeway through Hope Ranch to the beach. We were working one of our boats off from Coal Oil point and another one removing a pier at Elwood beach. I was the prime salvage contractor for the Channel Islands National Park, worked a lot for the USN, and the State of California.
Late 80s or 1990 I was there

Holy CRAP!! That bigger boat knifed diagonally over the top of the entire length of the smaller boat!! :eek:

With the awesome auto-inflate PDF's available these days, there's really no excuse not to be wearing one at all times when on the water if the boat you're in doesn't say, "USS Nimitz", "USS Enterprise", or "USS Carl Vincent". ;)

Holy CRAP!! That bigger boat knifed diagonally over the top of the entire length of the smaller boat!! :eek:

With the awesome auto-inflate PDF's available these days, there's really no excuse not to be wearing one at all times when on the water if the boat you're in doesn't say, "USS Nimitz", "USS Enterprise", or "USS Carl Vincent". ;)
Yep I I have one it cost 120 bucks but that's nothing compared to a motorcycle helmet lol they both can save your life the auto inflatable vest

I had a fun one, I was fishing the bottom end of the Multnohoma Channel near the Cement plant, and this azzhat in a YUGE boat tried to go between me and the pier, I was about 2 rod lengths from the pier, and had to turn hard and throttle up my kicker full to keep from getting hit! This same Azzhat also almost took out several other boats on his way up river, several of us called both the Sheriffs office AND the U.S.C.G. who showed up and stopped the boat! The owner initially refused to allow the Sheriff deputies to board, demanding every one wait until the Coast Guard showed up. When the C.G. did finally show, they boarded with guns drawn, and they arrested the owner, and towed that boat. Last time I was in the area, that big boat was still sitting on blocks at Fred's Marina, 10 years or so now!!!
I don't know what he was doing, but apparently almost hitting us was the least of his offenses!:eek:
Yep......was probably a documented vessel. Local LE can not board without permission. It has to be USCG or US Marshall's. Sounds like drugs or drunk. We picked up a lot of fishermen that fell asleep while working long hours running a boat. I built a special 4X4 2 ton IHC truck with a crane and dump bed to clean the boats off beaches. If the beach was remote, we would put equipment on shore with one of my 118 foot landing craft. On the National Park, the bill for removing a broken up boat from the beach would commonly run 30,000 in the early 90's.

One of the reasons I don't ever go out to Buoy 10 any more, too many azzhats running the race track, and no one seems to know any basic rules, seamanship, or boating etiquette! You wouldn't believe how many times I have seen dumbasses do stupid and dangerous stuff and live to tell the tail. I watched a big 60 footer run hard aground on the west point of Peacock Spit, going in too fast, and on the wrong side of the markers! He stuck that boat good, the C.G. sent out a 47 boat and my self and two other sleds were trying to scour out the sand while the 47 boat tried to pull him off. ended up having to wait a few hours for the tide to come in before he could get pulled off! Dude had no business running that boat in those waters!

One of the reasons I don't ever go out to Buoy 10 any more, too many azzhats running the race track, and no one seems to know any basic rules, seamanship, or boating etiquette! You wouldn't believe how many times I have seen dumbasses do stupid and dangerous stuff and live to tell the tail. I watched a big 60 footer run hard aground on the west point of Peacock Spit, going in too fast, and on the wrong side of the markers! He stuck that boat good, the C.G. sent out a 47 boat and my self and two other sleds were trying to scour out the sand while the 47 boat tried to pull him off. ended up having to wait a few hours for the tide to come in before he could get pulled off! Dude had no business running that boat in those waters!
The buoy 10 fishing is crazy

3D49ECEF-80AC-4FA7-877C-F2E2E8ABB41D.jpeg We are waiting to see where my USCG son's next assignment is but may put my aluminum research vessel in Astoria in the spring for fishing next year. He may be going to Coos Bay so if he goes there that is where the boat will be. We don't do really fast boats but this one runs well. It is a 28 footer with an 11 foot beam and a Detroit 4-53 inboard. I will be looking for advice and companions to show us the local sportfishing scene.

Last Edited:
Boat wreck . . .
Larsen, Operator of the BIG boat . . .
"He pleaded not guilty to the charges and said the lawsuit was unnecessary because no one was seriously hurt."
In light of the video it was probably not wise to make that last remark!

Sheldon

Same here, Buoy 10 is dead to me...

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads