JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Maybe use the real thing but remove firing pin?
👆This. If you want to assure absolute safety (and don't trust yourself to be able to keep live ammo out of it ;) ), but I have to agree with some others. Using the psychological "side-step", to me, is a disservice to children and seems to only reinforce that they can't be trusted with a real firearm... or... that real firearms are so incredibly dangerous that they may not touch or even be aware of any real firearm within the home. Possibly adding to the "mystery" and potentially flaming their curiosity about the real thing(?)

To each their own, but I've always subscribed to giving your children your trust (in controlled measure) and providing them the opportunity to build and live up to that trust.

Giving them a "toy"... is there potential... at least subconsciously of instilling the idea that "guns are toys" and they may treat them with less respect than they deserve?

Removing the mystery and curiosity aspect is how I was raised and seemed to work for our children. Holding and firing a firearm in their own little hands... and seeing the result... is extremely impactful and quickly instills a tremendous amount of respect for firearms that can't be "taught" with a toy.

As far as what your friends might think.... who cares? They're YOUR children and how they are raised is not a democracy, IMHO.

Last Edited:
I had a coworker a few years back who didn't care for guns, actually he was a bit of an arrogant jerk, but that's not relevant to the story.

Anyhow, he had a five-year-old son. He wanted to "protect" his son from guns, didn't want him knowing anything about them or around them. He then mentioned that he actually did have a gun at his house, a "forty-five" that belonged to a friend, whose wife wouldn't let him have it at home. His son didn't know about it, and he had it "hid real good" in his closet. :eek:

In my opinion, hiding a gun that your kid doesn't know about, could be more dangerous than them knowing you have it, knowing something about it, and instilling a serious respect for firearms that will outweigh any natural curiosity.

I understand that the people being taught are uncomfortable , and fearful of firearms.
That is something to be respected... if not fully understood.

However...I would suggest , that even understanding the above...
You teach firearm safety using actual functioning firearms.
I suggest this to help show that if properly used....firearms are safe...as well as taking away the mystique and fear they have of actual firearms.

Training with replicas...is just that...training with replicas.....it is not the same as with actual firearms.
I say this because everyone knows that it is a replica...and not the real thing...which can take away from someone's learning experiences.
"Take away "...as in not treat the replica as a real firearm : "Cause its just a replica."...
Or take away , 'cause the fear and unknown is still there at the end of the day...
Since they still haven't learned about real , as in actual firearms..or handled them.

Andy

'Fear of guns'. 'Afraid of guns' etc. are concepts I have a hard time understanding.

Guns, like a LOT of things are inanimate objects. Expressing fear about them is a oversimplification of the person's inability to conceptualize the fact that guns (like nearly anything) are only dangerous in the hands of people who use them incorrectly, unsafely or illegally.

Do these same people fear vehicles sitting unattended in their driveway? Or anything else inanimate and only dangerous when in the hands of people?

For whatever reason guns seem to be the # 1 man made item that people fear purely in thought, on sight or by perception.

Why is this and how did it become this way? Movies?, news, personal experiences? groupthink influence?

How is it with some just the word gun can result in fearful emotions with some people?

Last Edited:
'Fear of guns'. 'Afraid of guns' etc. are concepts I have a hard time understanding.

Guns, like a LOT of things are inanimate objects. Expressing fear about them is a oversimplification of the person's inability to conceptualize the fact that guns (like nearly anything) are only dangerous in the hands of people who use them incorrectly, unsafely or illegally.

Do these same people fear vehicles sitting unattended in their driveway? Or anything else inanimate and only dangerous when in the hands of people?

For whatever reason guns seem to be the # 1 man made item that people fear purely in thought, on sight or by perception.

Why is this and how did it become this way? Movies?, news, personal experiences? groupthink influence?

How is it with some just the word gun can result in fearful emotions with some people?
I think the msm and those with a (D) after their name hold the greatest responsibility for the unfounded fear of firearms. Both groups have worked very hard to malign firearms in our modern society. Firearms are simply a tool, like a hammer or saw or sickle, if that's your persuasion.

Firearms should be feared as much as narcan…

The Democrat party and anti gun lierals have lied and manipulated the gun narrative intentionally for years.
"Gun violence"
"Assault weapon"

IMG_1335.jpeg

Hi folks,

As the only one among my family and friends who has experience with firearms, I find myself in the position of being the one that others are looking to to provide some basic education about gun to our kids. As they get older, the time is rapidly approaching where the advice, "If you see a gun, don't touch it and go find an adult", isn't gonna cut it anymore. They're gonna be out and about, doing their thing. They're gonna go to parties. It's possible that some idiot will produce a weapon to be "cool" in front of the girls. And accidents happen, sometimes the worst kind of accident.

With that in mind, do you have any make/model recommendations for a replica, semi-auto pistol? It would need to be fully-functional in every respect (other than being able to actually fire, of course), so that I can demonstrate things like the four fundamental rules, how to recognize when it's loaded/chambered, how to recognize when it's safe, how to make it safe, etc. etc.

If anyone's wondering why I don't simply do this with my own guns, there are two reasons: one is that my friends are not comfortable around guns and would be happier if it's not a real one, and the other is that my kids don't actually know that there are guns in our house and my wife and I prefer to keep it that way for as long as we can!

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide.
I'd find new friends! My children learned firearms safety at a very young age. They know how to properly handle firearms and are very responsible.....be a man put your foot down to friends and wife and train them properly, or find someone who can

Maybe it's already been done, and I'm just unaware, but it would be really interesting to see a study on children who were openly raised with firearms vs. those who weren't. What percentages turn into violent criminals and mass shooters?

Children "can" be much more capable and responsible than they are given credit for these days... but... it's takes parents placing the expectations and providing the opportunities for them to develop those traits, IMHO.

Just for perspective... our kids... we know they need to be ready to safely handle a big bore rifle with minimal supervision by the age of 12. It blows my mind that people would actually wait until they are 9 or 10 before ever even allowing them to learn the fundamentals. Trying to instill safe handling and muzzle awareness as second nature in just a couple years before you "turn them loose" just doesn't seem like a very bright idea. 🤔

Granted. Not all people hunt, but it seems like the same principle would apply. You can't expect a child to suddenly be reliably responsible around firearms if they haven't been routinely exposed to them... IMHO.

I think a lot of non-gun folks think you can just show somebody how to be safe with a gun, and that's the end of that problem. They don't realize the amount of concentration and awareness you need to maintain when handling a gun. Training has to be followed by regular repetitive training until it really "sticks" and becomes second nature. I know some folks who struggle with basic concepts like muzzle discipline and indexing simply because they're new at it and haven't put the reps in. They've been trained, but they haven't reinforced it with practice.

Maybe it's already been done, and I'm just unaware, but it would be really interesting to see a study on children who were openly raised with firearms vs. those who weren't. What percentages turn into violent criminals and mass shooters?
I dont think it has so much to do with being raised with guns, as it does being raised with discipline and healthy mother and father role models.

it just so turns out that parents that teach kids gun safety typically are teaching discipline....

I think a lot of non-gun folks think you can just show somebody how to be safe with a gun, and that's the end of that problem. They don't realize the amount of concentration and awareness you need to maintain when handling a gun. Training has to be followed by regular repetitive training until it really "sticks" and becomes second nature. I know some folks who struggle with basic concepts like muzzle discipline and indexing simply because they're new at it and haven't put the reps in. They've been trained, but they haven't reinforced it with practice.
(Something I think everyone can reasonably relate to...)

Are you saying that taking a new driver out for a few laps around the parking lot... then tossing them a set of keys and wishing them good luck isn't a good approach to driver safety? 🤣

I wouldn't disagree. For some, you have to wonder where the logical disconnect is happening when it comes to firearm safety.🤔

Why not do what people have done for generations? Start your kids out with a BB or pellet gun, so you can teach them not only safety and operation but also to shoot accurately. When age appropriate, progress to a .22. Make shooting a family activity so they look forward to doing it with you. Let them know there are rules about when and where they are to use them, under your supervision, and under what circumstances they should not (showing off for their friends and such). Teach them what you expect them to do if they are at a friend's house and someone pulls out a gun to be "cool."

As for your "friends" who are uncomfortable around firearms, that's not your problem. If they express an interest in learning, that's fine. Teach them "the rules," just as you would anyone else. If they have no interest, you are under no obligation to overcome their fears.

So where is the logical disconnect happening when it comes to firearm safety(?)🤔
That is a very good question.

Fear comes to mind...fear and fearful thinking can be a source of disconnect.

If...and that is a little word with big implications....
If someone is actually concerned about firearm safety , as well as not being a firearm owner...
They may think that removing or limiting firearms , can make one safer.
That said...the same can be said for some firearm owners as well.

The idea behind the removing or limiting may be due to thinking that if firearms aren't around...
Then no one can be harmed with them.

The above has a lot of "If" and "May" in it.....'cause I can't really tell you what someone else is thinking.

I know that I don't think that way.
I was taught early on...a respect for life ...and how to safely use firearms.

In any event...
Again I suggest....Practice with actual firearms.
By doing so , there is no learning one way with a replica...then doing something similar , yet different with a actual firearm.
Learn how firearms work , learn and practice finger and muzzle discipline.
Cultivate a respect for life...yours and others.
Andy

Movie prop guns. This one claims to have a working slide and working parts.
Thanks, I think this is the closest I'm gonna be able to get to what I'm looking for. Looking at reviews, some Denix models will do basically everything except fully load and eject a cartridge. Not ideal but probably good enough.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews