JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Of course this is a snubby (revolver) thread. So it probably makes more sense to rank the (currently) common rimmed cartridges 32 S&W Long, 32 H&R Mag, 38 Special, 327 Fed Mag, 357 Mag.
-
The post I quoted specifically referenced a ".32 Beretta", hence the comparison, so it doesn't make more sense in this case. ;)

The addition shot in a .32 vs. .38 might though.

That is why a lot of people use wadcutters in snubs, they don't expand but they do punch holes and are mild on recoil for fast follow up shots.
Uh huh. Here's 5 shots @5 yds of 32 S&W Long 98-gr Wadcutter from my LCRx (327 Fed):

LCR 32 Long 98b.jpg
-

Federal Train + Protect 158-grain Lead Semi-Wadcutter Hollow Point TP38VHP1

These have an advertised muzzle velocity of 786, not the fastest, but respectable for what they are. Remington semi-wadcutter hollow points are +P rated and push 900 fps…

I'd not want to sand in front of either round…

Yea I hear you. I gather most factory loads are from 5-700.

The old rule was velocity from a snub was 80% of cartridge's listed velocity from whatever length the test barrel was (4", 6", whatever).
I always remembered the .38 as 158 gr. @ 850 mv. 80% of that is about 680. +P is 900 MV, so that would be 720 from a snub.
Of course, the .38 comes in so many different ways and its been around for so long, it appears the factory loads are all slowed to 770 MV now. That would still come out to 616 from a snub.
Considering modern ammo from a lightweight snub, like one of the alloy framed guns, I might consider 110 gr. Hydra Shok's (low recoil).
Federal lists those @ 980 MV, so @ 80% that would be 784 MV.
120 gr. Punch ammo seems like it might work pretty good too. 800 MV from a snub. Not too shabby.
As for a particular gun (like what the OP asked about), its probably already been mentioned, but either a S&W 36/60 (and you'll have to search the used market for a model 60 in .38 special. The current model 60 is a .357 gun), OR, a Colt Detective. Steel framed, not the alloy Agent/Cobra or whatever they're calling it this week.
These guns are all fairly small and light, they don't need any help from lightweight alloy's. A little extra heft will help bring that second shot into alignment quicker, if needed.
After that, probably an LCRx in .38 (reports I've seen seem to point to the Smith guns shooting better than the Rugers).
If I could swing it, and found one in good shape, I'd really like an old Taurus 445. Not the "UL" guns, the original steel framed one.
That was the original "compact frame" gun loaded with five .44 specials. Don't really need to do much with .44 special. Maybe swap the LRN for a SWC of similar weight (Lyman 429421, wink, wink, nudge, nudge). It's already got a power advantage over the .38, but not so much that it blows the gun out of your hand like a magnum might. And that big ol' bullet will really slap the crap out of whomever is bothering you.
Kinda like an alternate .45 Colt.

Last Edited:
The old rule was velocity from a snub was 80% of cartridge's listed velocity from whatever length the test barrel was (4", 6", whatever).
I always remembered the .38 as 158 gr. @ 850 mv. 80% of that is about 680. +P is 900 MV, so that would be 720 from a snub.
Of course, the .38 comes in so many different ways and its been around for so long, it appears the factory loads are all slowed to 770 MV now. That would still come out to 616 from a snub.
Considering modern ammo from a lightweight snub, like one of the alloy framed guns, I might consider 110 gr. Hydra Shok's (low recoil).
Federal lists those @ 980 MV, so @ 80% that would be 784 MV.
120 gr. Punch ammo seems like it might work pretty good too. 800 MV from a snub. Not too shabby.
As for a particular gun (like what the OP asked about), its probably already been mentioned, but either a S&W 36/60 (and you'll have to search the used market for a model 60 in .38 special. The current model 60 is a .357 gun), OR, a Colt Detective. Steel framed, not the alloy Agent/Cobra or whatever they're calling it this week.
These guns are all fairly small and light, they don't need any help from lightweight alloy's. A little extra heft will help bring that second shot into alignment quicker, if needed.
After that, probably an LCRx in .38.
If I could swing it, and found one in good shape, I'd really like an old Taurus 445. Not the "UL" guns, the original steel framed one.
That was the original "compact frame" gun loaded with five .44 specials. Don't really need to do much with .44 special. Maybe swap the LRN for a SWC of similar weight (Lyman 429421, wink, wink, nudge, nudge). It's already got a power advantage over the .38, but not so much that it blows the gun out of your hand like a magnum might. And that big ol' bullet will really slap the crap out of whomever is bothering you.
Kinda like an alternate .45 Colt.
Absolutely. I've been carrying 110gr +P+ treasury loads in my .38's for decades since I know +P 110's are the minimum to expand.

I've been carrying an 856 a lot. I've not had any issues after several hundred rounds. Also have an SP101 in .357 that I like. I don't much care for the super light revolvers.
I am in the market for an LCR in .22lr or 22wmr though.

I've been carrying an 856 a lot. I've not had any issues after several hundred rounds. Also have an SP101 in .357 that I like. I don't much care for the super light revolvers.
I am in the market for an LCR in .22lr or 22wmr though.
I'd save a little extra $$$ and get a model 63. Buffalo seemed to prefer it over an LCRx

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews