JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Anybody ever fish the Owyhee? I am planning on making a trip this summer and hear there is some great brown trout fishing. How is access to the river? From all accounts Ive read, its one of Oregon's best kept secrets.

River access is easy as the road runs along side it for several miles with loads of turnouts. There are 3 boat ramps at the lake if you are bringing a boat. Haven't fished it but live relatively close and have driven up the lower river to the dam many times. There are always people fishing it and I'm told it's good. My good friend spent every summer fishing the reservoir as a kid and he hauled loads of fish out.
FWI, just below the dam is a turnout with an old rail car bridge. There are 5 grassy camp sights on the other right side that are usually vacant. I've stayed there twice and never had anyone come by to collect fees. There are also two nice campgrounds at the end of the road that runs past the dam but they are kind of dusty and somewhat crowded. Always see campers and trailers along the river too. It's a neat area.
If you have a dirt bike or quad I'd recommend spending a day on the west side of the lake. Cross the river at the rail car bridge to access those trails.

I'm going to add a side note. Watch Oregon Field Guide on floating the river, they really don't fish in the episode, but they show you the river and it's an easy float. If I was going to go all the way down there, I would probably want to float the river.

So the wading opportunities are pretty minimal then? It sounds like I ought to by a boat lol. And anybody have any idea which month would be best to go down? April? May? June? July? August?

So the wading opportunities are pretty minimal then? It sounds like I ought to by a boat lol. And anybody have any idea which month would be best to go down? April? May? June? July? August?
That is hard core rattlesnake country. At least you would be safe while in the boat.

Plenty of opportunity to wade but don't let that stop you from boat shopping. And yes, there are plenty of those target snakes out there.
If you get a chance to do any riding out on the west side just remember that that was all slated to be monument land. You'd never have been able to get out there if the election had gone the other way. The only reason I ever saw is was my buddy letting me know and he wanted to show it to me before it was locked down. The lake in the background. End of summer, low water.
getPart_zpstabzjxij.jpg
Out on the west side...
getPart_zpsqietyx2b.jpg getPart_zpsijjznvlx.jpg getPart_zps1fsd1yld.jpg
This is riding along the river...
getPart_zpsttyr6apq.jpg

Last Edited:
Crappie and bass fishing are outstanding on the reservoir. Excellent camping close to the dam at the State Park and a few freebie places along the river. The Owyhee does have a mercury advisory, if you are concerned about that sort of thing, and the amount of fish you are suppose to eat from that water is minimal.

The river below the dam is suppose to have a healthy population of trout, but I have never been successful myself. Quickly got discouraged and went to the reservoir to catch crappie by the hundreds.

Above the reservoir, you can launch a raft at Rome and float to a couple of take outs, one I believe is on the river and the other is on the reservoir. We took out on the reservoir and it was a pain to row the reservoir down to where it was...too much slack water and wind. If doing it again we would take out above the reservoir and brave the bad road down to the take out. The river fishing in that section was crazy good. More bass than I have ever caught anywhere else. That float is 100% dependent on the flow of the river though. When the snow melts, depending on how much there is, the window to float can be very narrow. If it gets too low, you are dragging your raft a lot.

Never have seen the river above Rome. Never heard anyone talk about fishing it, so I assume it is more a white water river at that point. Still, there has to be fish.

The Owyhee area is pretty durn cool if you have a chance to explore. You can head way up the reservoir and launch a boat at a couple remote but developed launch sites. Seems there are camp areas up there too, I've stayed in the area dry camping out of a truck.

Succor Creek has a nice campground and is on an old stage road and is exceptionally pretty land. Up in the hills we've found pits of thunder eggs, filled a couple packs. If you have a quad it's a nice way to explore, my wife and I did it on dirt bikes one week.

Twice I've run into Big horns, once right in the road going into one of the upper launches. They're almost like livestock, we got out and took pics and could walk within 25 yards of them. It's usually really dry, I'd bring a lot of water if your going to stay in the area for long. Tell the truth I only fished it once, caught a few small warm water fish but only spent an evening at it.

^^^All this^^^ Succor Creek campground is a very, very nice spot.

Also, Tunnel Canyon is pretty interesting and you can drive to it. More fun on a quad or bike though. It's on the south side of the road a couple miles from the dam.
20170910_103013.jpg 20170910_103022.jpg
My 6'5" buddy is on a ladder on the side in the 2nd photo. The tunnel goes 5 miles through the hills and eventually ends up in Homedale Idaho.

Wow now I am really excited to go haha. That is some great info and sweet pictures. The diverse geography and climate of this state continues to surprise me. Looks like some gorgeous country. Thank yall kindly!

Wow now I am really excited to go haha. That is some great info and sweet pictures. The diverse geography and climate of this state continues to surprise me. Looks like some gorgeous country. Thank yall kindly!
Aaaaand...just a couple more. I took these at Succor Creek last October.
20171011_122528.jpg 20171011_122832.jpg 20171011_122600.jpg
Just above tthe campground to the southeast is the Spanish Charlie homestead site. Not sure if it's on a map or not but worth the trip if you have a quad or bike. Interesting history.
20171011_131256_0.jpg 20171011_131402.jpg

Man that's some cool stuff guys. It's been a lot of years since I've spent some time in a real desert. Growing up in Utah we used to visit Southern Utah most every spring.

When ever someone posts like this I'll get on google earth and spend a bunch of time checking out the area.

You can still find tree stump size petrified wood in the area as well. We know where there is what appears to be a swamp bed turned vertical coming out of the ground. It is 10-20 feet wide and at least a mile long, full of fossils and petrafied wood shards. Off course, Sacajawea's son is buried in the area as well. We mostly stay on the Idaho side, Silver City on the east side of US 95 is a great trip too.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top