JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Congratulations that's awesome. I hear you but that's why it's interesting to see people choose 270 or 30-06 for instance because you can load them up and down so greatly in either direction. I'm sure if you were a crack shot you wouldn't have a problem hitting a rabbit in the head with a 308 caliber fmj and still having dinner on the table.
Ok Ill be crack shot. My dad shot every deer, every year with a .22LR in the head.
I'll pick a 22LR. Can shoot all my birds and an deer and elk in the head. .22 kills pigs and cows it'll work for a elk.

That was easy.

There ya go lol I was waiting for that one to hit the thread!
Here ill do you better. Here is my O/U.Nobody has this one.

12G/.222

tikka ou 1.jpg

The 308 Winchester is a near perfect ballistic match to the later MILITARY 30-06 and beats the early version. The commercial 30-06 is around 200 fps faster than the late military 30-06.

And for the magnum lovers: the original 30 Super/300 H&H Magnum was made to duplicate 30-06 ballistics at lower pressure.

https://loaddata.com/Article/BenchTopics/The-300-Holland-and-Holland/76

Part of the reason some shooters don't regard the .300 H&H very highly is that originally it was designed to duplicate .30-06 ballistics, and it remains somewhat underloaded in American terms.

Why such a big case, then? Well, the British "powder" of the era was cordite, made of long strands like thin spaghetti. Cordite was very temperature-sensitive, so ammunition for the hot tropics was loaded to lower pressures. American-level .30-06 ammunition tended to be a little warm in Africa and India, so the .300 H&H was designed to provide the same muzzle velocities at safe pressures.

Bruce

One gun, one cartridge.(for hunting)

It would be a pump shotgun that accepts 3" cartridges in 12 gauge for the same reason as mentioned by others "versatility", light bird shot to a high powder loaded slug.
You can shoot a quail and not destroy it or kill a grizzly bear.

One rifle? 7mm Remington Magnum

Tikka T3 stainless/synthetic in 30-06. Lightweight, corrosion resistant, accurate and common versatile round.
Good choice! Tikkas are second to none. Stainless in 30-06 is one of my all time favorites. It's a do it all rifle. I killed a bull at 476 yards with my buddies last season with his hand loaded 172 grain Speer impact bullet, After my 7mm PRC shooting the 175 ELDX blew up on the shoulder.

I have looked at Tikkas and decided to buy Sakos
I have two l61r's and A3. As far as push fed rifles there are few production rifles that compare. My favorite commercial rifles are the Browning Safari grade rmauser rifles
Hard to go wrong with the Brownings or the Sakos

Hard to go wrong with the Brownings or the Sakos
Dumping the cartridge right back into the open action of the rifle because of the poor ejection angle is extremely frustrating. That pretty much ruins that Sako affection once you've experienced it. Beretta claims it isn't a defect because it will eject without a scope.

I have never had an ejection problem yet. Mine are in 7mm Remington, 338 winchester magnum and 375 h&h. I am for certain if I look.hard enough I can find a problem somewhere. All mine have scopes on them. If this problem exists I am not smart enough to recognize it.

Just looked the ejection problem up it's apparently with the model 85 action and lesser so with the 75 action. As is often the case progress is not always progress. My older sakos do not seem to have this issue.

Just looked the ejection problem up it's apparently with the model 85 action and lesser so with the 75 action. As is often the case progress is not always progress. My older sakos do not seem to have this issue.
Okay Boomer.

(Just kidding. Thought I would beat some Millennial to it. I'm a Boomer too. :D )

Okay Boomer.

(Just kidding. Thought I would beat some Millennial to it. I'm a Boomer too. :D )
You old farts are hilarious. Just remember, at your age, never trust a fart.

Oh yeah, you may not be able to hear it anymore, but that silent fart that you thought was silent, wasn't. Food for thought.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top