JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi All,

Just a plinker looking to get into shotguns. I moved to Neah Bay with my family last year and am enjoying life at the "end of the road". I grew up hunting fish with a spear in Hawaii, so I'm looking to experienced folks here for advice about shotguns in this environment, education, etc.. Thanks

Welcome to the forum!
A great group of folks hang out here.
What are you wanting to do with your shotgun?
For small game and grouse its tough beat a .20 gauge with a modified choke...
I like my 870 Wingmaster or any one of my antique fowlers for that job....
Andy

Hi Andy,
I'm wanting to start out with small game with the possibility of deer. I'm also interested in upland birds. My wife might be interested in skeet, too. So, yes, I was thinking about 20 gauge. Maybe a Mossberg 500 because of its safety, since I shoot lefty. I'm open to anything that fits me and what I want to do. I don't need to pinch pennies but don't want to go overboard with a first purchase.
Dann

Welcome!!!
I grew up hunting, starting at 8 years old with a 22lr & at 10 was shooting my dad's 870 in 12 gauge. You can't go wrong with a pump but some would never shoot trap or skeet with anything other than an over an under... lol
Good luck on your quest.;)

I'm open to anything that fits me and what I want to do.
Qila,
That's the key right there.
Finding what gun fits you and works the best for how you hunt and shoot.
The Mossberg 500 series is tough to beat.
My favorites are a .20 Northwest Tradegun or fowler if you are into history or just wanting something different than everyone else.
Andy

Last Edited:
Hi Andy,
I'm wanting to start out with small game with the possibility of deer. I'm also interested in upland birds. My wife might be interested in skeet, too. So, yes, I was thinking about 20 gauge. Maybe a Mossberg 500 because of its safety, since I shoot lefty. I'm open to anything that fits me and what I want to do. I don't need to pinch pennies but don't want to go overboard with a first purchase.
Dann

For Deer 20 will do it but I would recommend a 12 for that. The 500 and 590 are great since they are one of the ones that's dead simple to swap barrels around for different use. The 12 in the lighter loads is easy to handle for the fun shooting. As for Skeet, now that's a whole other game. Going to depend on how serious either of you get about it. For most an Over/Under or auto are what they end up with. Many nice autos now that offer different barrels and or choke tubs too. Sadly there are far fewer places to rent a shotgun to try than there are places that do this for handguns. If she and maybe you want to get your feet wet shooting clay maybe seek a club out in the area. See if they will let you all come out and at least handle some if not maybe try some. It's real hard to go wrong with a Moss 500 as a starter in any case. At worst you can use it for around the home piece of mind if you decide on another for other stuff. Plus there have been so many of these made you may well find a good used one to test out cheaper. The learning is always fun! Welcome!!

Alexx,
Thanks for taking the time to respond. Reality is that I'll probably be small game hunting and shooting targets. Skeet would mean driving 2 hours to PA. I'll contact the Port Angeles Gun Club and see if they do any rentals or if they can connect me with someone.
Dann

GunInv2016-Ithaca1.jpg
Hi Andy,
Dann
If you can find an Ithaca model 37 (they've been discontinued for a while) they are ideal for a lefty, since they load and eject through the bottom of the receiver, and I believe the safety can be reversed for a lefty too. It's also nice for bad weather, since the only openings on the receiver are on the bottom. Another nice thing about them is that the barrel is removable with no tools in about 15 seconds. They are also very light and nimble compared to many other pump action shotguns. I have one in 20ga, full choke with which I will never part. It's been my dove/quail gun since I was 16.

View attachment 366609
If you can find an Ithaca model 37 (they've been discontinued for a while) they are ideal for a lefty, since they load and eject through the bottom of the receiver, and I believe the safety can be reversed for a lefty too. It's also nice for bad weather, since the only openings on the receiver are on the bottom. Another nice thing about them is that the barrel is removable with no tools in about 15 seconds. They are also very light and nimble compared to many other pump action shotguns. I have one in 20ga, full choke with which I will never part. It's been my dove/quail gun since I was 16.

Hi ZigZagZeke,
Thanks for the note. How long is the barrel? Lefty/Ambidextrous friendly is good. I noticed that the Browning BPS is a bottom eject, too and a tang safety.
Dann

View attachment 366609

I just looked up the model 37 and found that Ithaca is currently making a "featherweight" 37.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top