JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Haven't done this before but have come across many references of people doing it to add luster to their new and dull finishes (I.e. Beretta and Browning stocks).

What do you use and what is your process? I have a new Beretta O/U incoming that at least from the photos has some nice grain and figure, so it might benefit from this treatment.

I've wondered about this. Most all new guns with wooden stocks come with wood that is sealed by a coating of some kind or other. They aren't open pore wood. In which case, does it do any good to treat them with tung oil or linseed oil? Because how much penetration could you expect? I use raw linseed oil on older stocks that have dried out and have some porosity in the original coatings. And I use it on M1 Rifle stocks, which were never sealed.

my guess is hes asking about preserving or improving the luster of the new stock finish?

1709449809492.png

With new stocks on modern firearms and stock sealing finishes used nowadays...
I would use a little bit of furniture wax.
With that said....
It may also make the stock slick...or gum up checkering.

Tung oil / linseed oil / Tru-Oil for stocks is also good.
( will take time to "set into " the stock...several coats , etc... don't be in a hurry here )

While not all that common any more....unless you hunt....
A mixture of bear grease and deer tallow does a good job of both protecting your stock and adding some luster to the woodstock.
Andy

Last Edited:
With a relatively new or modern Beretta as @Koda interpreted, I think this inquiry is directed toward an intact finish of some degree of impervious gloss (rather than an old-school oil finish that might benefit from another drink of oil).

And Lemon Pledge is on the right track (I use Scott's Liquid Gold). Both clean the surface some as well as polishing, and no worries on the metal (looks good on it too!).

But for true durable protection that also adds a fine luster, Johnson's or Minwax Paste wax. Added feature of resisting fingerrprnts. If one should land, one swipe of a cloth makes it gone.

For a tough, wet hunt, leave the Paste Wax unbuffed on every surface. Gun looks like hell during the hunt, but will not rust.

Last Edited:
Many wood stocks have no finish at all on hidden surfaces. They would benefit if these surfaces were treated to become more weatherproof.

Bruce

With that said....

( will take time to "set into " the stock...several coats , etc... don't be in a hurry here )

A mixture of bear grease and deer tallow does a good job of both protecting your stock and adding some luster to the woodstock.
Andy
Makes good boot grease too

Tru Oil is a good finish. Unto itself. It is not something you want to put over a perfectly good existing (new?) finish. It has a lacquer/varnish/poly carrier with the oil (linseed), and it is NOT very durable. Developed for ease of application and removal/repair.

Applied in one or two coats over an existing (pores filled) finish, it will cure on top and begin to wear off almost immediately.

It is intended to be applied in multiple coats with each drying completely before the next (4 to 6 coats are near minimum), not as a "treatment" or "polish" for an existing finish.

Many wood stocks have no finish at all on hidden surfaces. They would benefit if these surfaces were treated to become more weatherproof.

Bruce
A quality sanding sealer (one or two coats) does this perfectly (action recesses, barrel channels, guard screw tunnels, etc.) Once again, Tru-Oil is not as durable, and is a poor pore sealer. (No stutter there.)

This is probably a sound idea for those who take wood stocked guns out into the rain, etc. Which I no longer do. I've noticed on some commercial hunting-type rifles that the inner (hidden) surfaces often don't have stain on them, but may have overspray of the actual sealant or coating.

When I was younger, I don't think I owned a rifle that I wasn't tempted to take apart including remove the stock. However, in my later years I have many rifles that I've never pulled the stock from. Some of them it's been necessary because they were used guns and dirty enough that they needed it. Yet others were new or like new, so I just left them alone.

With that said....

Andy
Wax, is a good thing, but be certain, it is silicone free.
👍👍

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR