JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
At the risk of sounding like a newbie oh wait i am one... How long do you go without action before changing out. This could be just to a different color spinner or a new rig completely. And would a bite from a salmon feel like a sharp tug like a trout?

By the way thanks for the diagram on 19. Thats how i have been tying my spinners wedding rings. Usually 4 ft and 4 ft for leader and spinner. Good to know you cant put a floating crank on there. I did a lot of trout fishing as a kid. Battle ground lake was my stomping grounds back then. Fun little fish. Would throw a slide weight and some powrr bait in holes on the hot days and bobber and worms or other items on cooler days. A lot of fun.

Last Edited:
Depends on the day and the fish. Some fish will just sit with it in their mouth, others will run with it. I've caught bull trout while playing with slack line and only found one on the other end while picking up to recast my fly. Others, slam the bait and take off. Usually the warmer the water, the harder they strike.
Plunking with railroad spikes can take a while. I feel like letting it sit is best, as you'll have to re-rig if you reel in. Probably better to let a bait slinger verify this tho. I'm too impatient, hence I use flies.

At the risk of sounding like a newbie oh wait i am one... How long do you go without action before changing out. This could be just to a different color spinner or a new rig completely. And would a bite from a salmon feel like a sharp tug like a trout?

Its varies. Ive had fish try to rip the rod out of my hand and Ive also just felt resistance that wasnt current but wasn't a snag.

At the risk of sounding like a newbie oh wait i am one... How long do you go without action before changing out. This could be just to a different color spinner or a new rig completely.

Typical answer to most stuff... it depends, water color, water temp, water speed, time of day, overhead light, type of lure, type of bait, method of fishing.

So to give an example: if I was sitting on the bank next to a hole in productive water and plunking for salmon using roe, I would change it out based on the toughness of the roe cure, the speed of the water, and hits that don't hook up. You pull your bait about every 10-15min and take a look, if it looks good, you wait longer the next time. Same with anchovie bait but they usually don't last more than 10min, and ghost shrimp need to be checked about every 5min.

Lures, you work your water over efficiently and then change out and have a go again.

Steelhead fishing... just go down to the bank, throw half your sh*t in the water and go drink beer... you accomplish the same thing and have a much better time. Seriously, if you have decided what is the right steelhead lure for the conditions, stick with it. Only thing you (might) change is color of corkie. But I really don't believe that makes a big diff... for other types of lures yes it does.

Play it by ear or with the help of guides for a few seasons and you will begin to get it. Very few hit the jackpot without some help or some time put in on a particular piece of water.

It's a process... that's the fun of it. Fishing = patience, otherwise best to have another hobby, like drag racing or skydiving. ;)

Last Edited:
There is a reason i take a chair with me when i go fishing. I thought about bringing my inherited rod holder but i found the idea distasteful. Im starting to come around.

Find some old guy(s) to hang with. We like to talk, BS, show off what we know, more BS, coffee, beer, etc. If you provide the beer, you have instant fishing buddy. If you find guys fishing a hole, watch them, chat them up, they know that water!!! Old guys know stuff.

I thought about bringing my inherited rod holder but i found the idea distasteful. Im starting to come around.

NOOOOOOOOOO, the old ways are the best ways. Please don't become a flosser/snagger!!! If you do get a fly rod for salmon/steelhead, don't forget to put your hair in a douche knot and bring your Starbucks cup. :mad::p:eek::rolleyes:

I suppose i shouldbe nice to the people helping me instead of teasing and raising their blood pressure. If all else fails when i go to bobs today im not above bribery grovelling is always an option though too. If you havent guessed i have sense of humor, sarcasm, and im determine to catch a fish.

Last Edited:
Yeah, they'll teach ya all you need to know about being white trash. Bring enough beer and the plunkers might share their meth with you. Want to find out how to be a poacher, they're the best teachers.
I'd take the old rod out around them, they'll rob ya blind and leave ya dead for 20 bucks.
;)

I dunno.
I fish with a known, effective pattern and KEEP MOVING....I'm not "changing out" very much.
That is if we're talking about fishing weighted spinners for Summer Steelhead.

By the way thanks for the diagram on 19. Thats how i have been tying my spinners wedding rings. Usually 4 ft and 4 ft for leader and spinner. Good to know you cant put a floating crank on there. I did a lot of trout fishing as a kid. Battle ground lake was my stomping grounds back then. Fun little fish. Would throw a slide weight and some powrr bait in holes on the hot days and bobber and worms or other items on cooler days. A lot of fun.
I have no idea what this diagram shows but "leaders" and "spinners" don't mix when speaking of casting weighted spinners for Summer Steelhead.
You "mainline" to the weighted spinner.....no leaders.......,no baggage.
You grip and rip.....a direct connection is very important when fishing weighted spinners.
Summer Steelhead typically attack a properly presented spinner.....there is no nibbling.
It's a whack most of the time.

The above type of fishing is not practiced by that many.....it's moving....casting....attacking.
Very aggressive.
On the Cow you might be able to do it first thing, but as the minions come out it will be over for that type of fishing.
Then you need to convert to a more subtle form of fishing such as drifting Corky, eggs or yarn.

Yeah, they'll teach ya all you need to know about being white trash. Bring enough beer and the plunkers might share their meth with you. Want to find out how to be a poacher, they're the best teachers.
I'd take the old rod out around them, they'll rob ya blind and leave ya dead for 20 bucks.
;)

:D:D:D

Beer, meth, and plunking... doesn't seem too logical to me. I guess I don't know much about meth. Beer and plunking tho, that I got down. Except it's usually coffee and plunking. Especially after a storm.

We be talkin summer steelhead? Hmmm, I guess if he wants to go NOW, that's what we be doin. Yup DD, nothin better n weighted spinners for summer steelhead, cept a fat juicy nightcrawler. Especially Jed Davis designed spinners with brass body and #3 French blade with green tape on the underside of the blade and green tubing over the treble hook shank. Tarnished blades are good too!

I've never seen anyone plunk for summer steelhead... is that done at all? Mebe for those 2lbrs they got on the Rogue. I remember when I was new to the area and walked down to the water with my full sized steelhead pole and huge net. Oh the looks I got. My face is read just thinking about it.

Last Edited:
I thought we were still talking salmon? Actually the spinner fishing is about the same as swinging an Irish wet fly. Not difficult to learn swing methods once ya get one down. I'm not disagreeing that a weighted spinner is your best bet for summer steelhead. Storms are kind to bait slingers and keen fly anglers, good of you to point that out.

You're also not fishing the Columbia around the valley! Probably why you know a little less about meth heads. LoL

We be talkin summer steelhead? Hmmm, I guess if he wants to go NOW, that's what we be doin. Yup DD, nothin better n weighted spinners for summer steelhead, cept a fat juicy nightcrawler. Especially Jed Davis designed spinners with brass body and #3 French blade with green tape on the underside of the blade and green tubing over the treble hook shank. Tarnished blades are good too!

I've never seen anyone plunk for summer steelhead... is that done at all? Mebe for those 2lbrs they got on the Rogue. I remember when I was new to the area and walked down to the water with my full sized steelhead pole and huge net. Oh the looks I got. My face is read just thinking about it.

Hey brother we all started somewhere, not all can be fish catchin magicians.
Remember tate 10% of the fishermen catch 90% of the fish.... true story, I learned from an old school guide named Rich Boggle on the Skagit, Cowlitz and the Lewis in the mid 80's to be a 10%er.;)

Hey brother we all started somewhere, not all can be fish catchin magicians.
Remember tate 10% of the fishermen catch 90% of the fish.... true story, I learned from an old school guide named Rich Boggle on the Skagit, Cowlitz and the Lewis in the mid 80's to be a 10%er.;)
Oh yeah, I'm a 5%-er......how's that grab ya ?

I catch fish 5% of the times I go.

:D

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top