JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
MODERATION POLICY & PROCEDURES UPDATE - 2016.07.28

I've been kicking around ideas for improving the way we moderate here for a couple of months now. Yesterday afternoon I made the decision that I was going to cancel the work I had to do today and tackle this issue. I've been working at it since I woke up at 5AM, and I think we've got a pretty good rough draft of changes we're going to be making. I'm calling this a rough draft because I'm sure we're going to have to make a few tweaks as we go, and also because some of the features we're likely going to have to pay someone to develop. To be clear, we're keeping the rules as they are right now. This discussion is about how we handle things afterward.

A few words before we get to the changes, let's start on the topic of everyone's favorite moderator, deadeye. I'm sure simply reading his name has some of you reaching for your pitchforks, but to be honest your anger and frustration is misguided. I've said it many times before and I mean it, I am the one responsible for the way moderation is handled here. I honestly feel bad for him, a longtime member and a good guy who's being admonished for doing what I've told him to do. The reason he was made a moderator in the first place is because of the value and knowledge he brought to this community, as well as his good rapport with others. People are quick to point to him as "the" issue, and I understand why you'd think that -- when was the last time you've heard or seen anyone else issue a reminder? Each of our staff members play a different role in keeping this community running, and we all work hard at it. He just happens to be the one filling that particular role. I realize that it hasn't been fair to him, and for that I apologize. I've been so busy focusing on the technical aspects of the site that I have failed to provide the structure and leadership needed for our team to succeed in this area. I intend to fix that.

REMINDERS & BANS: THE OLD WAY

The way we had the system setup was fairly simple. You violate a rule, you get a reminder. Each reminder had a point value assigned. Accumulate enough of these reminder points and the system automatically banned you for a set period of time (depending on total reminder points).

The issue with a system like this is the black and white nature of it. While the concept of strict law and order is good in theory, it just doesn't play out well here or in real life. Sometimes there are other factor to consider, and this system didn't leave much room for that. A perfect example I realized just this afternoon: none of us are notified when the system 'auto-bans' someone due to reminder points, not even the mod issuing the reminder leading to the ban. I can understand why you guys were upset with this 'robot justice'.

REMINDERS & BANS: GOING FORWARD

Going forward we're going to try a different, more simple, more human approach and see how that works here. No more reminder points, no more temporary vacations, and the automatic ban system has been disabled!

If a member violates the rules they can expect a private conversation from a moderator reminding them of the rules. I believe for that for the majority of people here this is where things will both start and end, case closed.

If difficulty following the rules continues I will contact them myself with one simple question: Would you like to work through this and remain a member here or move along? This conversation will determine whether the person remains a member of our community.

Simple, right? :)

DELETED CONTENT

The majority of my day was spent speaking with developers to see whether the software to do this exists or if we'll have to pay for it to be developed. Even if it costs us, I'm thinking this is the best way to do this.

1. Member posts inappropriate content.
2. Moderator deletes content and starts conversation with member.
3. Member edits content and notifies moderator (optional).
4. Moderator restores content.

Not only will this allow members to view their deleted content, it should also help to ensure that post they've been working on for the last hour isn't gone without recourse. The software limitations we're up against right now do not allow members to view deleted content, so it will need to be done through a moderator until we can afford to have it developed.

MODERATORS

Without the use of the reminder point system I see the role of moderator shifting from one of law and order to one which is more relaxed, friendly, and helpful. It might be wishful thinking, but I'm hoping those qualities may carry over and improve the the general atmosphere here. It will be my responsibility to address the troublemakers here and ensure that they find a home elsewhere if they cannot fit in.

Stepping back from automation in favor of personal conversations is going to double if not triple our workload, meaning we're going to need to bring on a few more moderators. If you're an active member who's been here a couple of years and think you might be a good fit, shoot me a PM.

I think this is definitely a step in the right direction Joe. I know moderation and rules enforcement is a very fine balancing act between being too strict and not being strong enough when it's called for. I don't relish the job of the moderator or the site owner. That said, I think approaching it by giving members the opportunity to correct a behavior, post, etc. that is in violation of the rules rather than a hard and fast punishment, is a much better way to approach it. Sometimes it's likely just an error, sometimes an error in judgment, sometimes it may be motivated by a momentary jump to anger. But overall, I think the folks here are good folks and are on decent behavior.

I hope this new plan works out well for everyone. Thanks for putting the time into this Joe.

Sounds good so far, and for my self at least, I do offer my apology to Deadeye for wrongfully placing any anger or guilt on you shoulders, that was bad on my part and I didn't know that you were the only one with that difficult job! Hat's off to Deadeye for sticking through this with us hardheads!

I don't know if it's just me, but I seem to have just noticed an increase in posts by some of the mods here on the site - folks like Monica, Spray-n-Pray, Swedish K

What's up? Usually they're very quiet and now weighing in more than I've seen. It's a good thing, just wondering if this is part of the recent changes made to the site? :s0092:

Also, I haven't seen much feedback from other members on this recent change in the rules, just wondering how many folks saw this announcement and what they think of it?

I don't know if it's just me, but I seem to have just noticed an increase in posts by some of the mods here on the site - folks like Monica, Spray-n-Pray, Swedish K

We'd have to ask them to be sure, but I was really hoping this would happen. Folks are asked to be moderators partly due to their valuable contributions to the community. It's no good when the weight of the mod hat affects ones participation.

I like the changes and new direction that the site is going to.
But then I might not be the best to go to for a comment this issue.
I haven't had any problems with anyone , moderator or member on here.
Of course my two basic rules for commenting might have something to do with this. They are:
1) It is often best to be quiet and thought an idiot , then open my mouth and prove it.
2) If I have nothing nice to say , then keep quiet.
Andy

IF IM ELECTED MOD, I WILL MAKE NWFA GREAT AGAIN!!

First order of business will be banning everyone who does not mention bacon. All posts will be about Bacon! I will BUILD A WALL OF BACON and it will be YUMMY

NWFA will be known as NW BACON!!!
download (3).jpg

Moo....T, to me.
No skin off my nose how the Sheriff & Deputies do their job.
I'm OK, Your OK! The Mods are OK, even all the banned and walk a way's are OK by me. (some I rather miss, but their loss)

Well, let's at least tag in the ones I mentioned and see what they have to say: @Monica Cowles @Spray-n-pray @Swedish K

HA! I didn't know that I was watched THAT closely...;)

I'm pretty much on here every day at least a couple of times, but just don't have much to say, I guess...o_O

Unless there is an obvious fire to put out, or a post that I can personally contribute to, I just sort of stalk around here trying to be useful for Joe...:oops::rolleyes:;):)

I'm pretty much on here every day at least a couple of times, but just don't have much to say, I guess...o_O

Unless there is an obvious fire to put out, or a post that I can personally contribute to, I just sort of stalk around here trying to be useful for Joe...:oops::rolleyes:;):)

Well as an active contributor and strong pro-2A female, some of us do notice if things quiet down a bit. I know others have mentioned it as well just a curiosity. We're not watching you. Now, as for the government....;):cool:

I wish we had a few hundred more like you around here!

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top