JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
i am currently selling some guns on Gun broker. got an e mail from a potential buyer. i will be in ",,,,,,,,,,,," county park on monday. ask for Mick. what to do? park is about 20 min. from home in a rather remote area.

Meet at an FFL?
The worst part is potential flakes that book a meet up and never show. World is full of crap people. If they want to buy what you have for sale, I figure they can come to you, not the other way around. This way you save on time and travel.

I'd tell him this: "I'm the seller, I'll meet you at (Enter FFL here), if that doesn't work, forget my ad.

Have a nice day.

P.S. Dont take candy from a Van that has "Free Candy" written on it.

Free Candy.jpg

i am currently selling some guns on Gun broker. got an e mail from a potential buyer. i will be in ",,,,,,,,,,,," county park on monday. ask for Mick. what to do? park is about 20 min. from home in a rather remote area.
I would only meet at FFL, unless you are going the freedom route. In that case BK parking lot with back up.

i am currently selling some guns on Gun broker. got an e mail from a potential buyer. i will be in ",,,,,,,,,,,," county park on monday.
Man, if that didn't raise a 'red flag' I don't know what does.

I had a similar situation once (pre SB 941) and was selling a gun and the guy wanted to meet in the parking lot of of a local grocery store on a Saturday morning so I thought that was relatively safe so I accepted, even though he described his vehicle (don't laugh) as a 'blue van'.

Well, so I pulled up and the 'blue van' was rather rough and the guy looked like he was living in it. Anyway I showed him the gun (a Glock 17) and he offered to buy it immediately, full asking price.

Well this, and his appearance made this 'questionable' so I told him I accept but to follow me to a nearby LGS to transfer it and I'll cover the cost.

He said no, and started harping about 2A, freedom, and a lot of other ramble to which I said 'see ya' and drove off.

he wrote back OK thanks,,,,,,,,,,that was it
One of 3 possibilities..

He had 'nefarious' intent, possibly with a plan to steal it from you.

He was simply planning on asking you if you would sell it FTF, no FFL.

OR - it was a 'set up' by (who knows) to trap you into an illegal sale.

I once had someone (a new member to this forum) PM me and cut to the chase and ask me if I would sell a gun I had listed FTF (post SB 941) to which I said 'no thanks'. He has never posted again....

it was good for a good laugh. i would have suggested an FFL to meet at but i didn't want to even leave the house for such a ridiculas request

I can see why you figured it out before he suckered you in. Nobody who actually knows guns would refer to ".556" ammo. If only they were smart enough to write "5.56", then they'd probably trap almost all of us! :eek:
Honestly, it was a rough night.

Man, if that didn't raise a 'red flag' I don't know what does.

I had a similar situation once (pre SB 941) and was selling a gun and the guy wanted to meet in the parking lot of of a local grocery store on a Saturday morning so I thought that was relatively safe so I accepted, even though he described his vehicle (don't laugh) as a 'blue van'.

Well, so I pulled up and the 'blue van' was rather rough and the guy looked like he was living in it. Anyway I showed him the gun (a Glock 17) and he offered to buy it immediately, full asking price.

Well this, and his appearance made this 'questionable' so I told him I accept but to follow me to a nearby LGS to transfer it and I'll cover the cost.

He said no, and started harping about 2A, freedom, and a lot of other ramble to which I said 'see ya' and drove off.
I had a similar situation, but it was me that was the problem. Pre SB941 I was meeting a guy to trade a rifle for a pistol. We agreed on Cabela's parking lot. I suggest "Toward the back by the cyclone fence where there aren't as many people." thinking it will be easy to find each other. His response made it obvious I had made him nervous, then I realized that sounded a little iffy. After I told him my reason and that I would meet him in the lobby if he liked, and introduce him to some of my friends that worked there, his mind was at ease and the trade worked out well for both of us. :D

As for the OP, I think he did the right thing.

Last Edited:
I had a similar situation
The irony to MY situation was on the Saturday I met the guy just happened to be a gunshow weekend at the Deschutes county fairgrounds.

I had been planning on going AFTER I met the guy to which I did, and saw him at the show later walking around.

I suspect he was hoping to find someone who would sell him something FTF, outside of the show, which was legal at the time, but I did not regret my decision.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews