JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Maybe opinions boil down to how we were raised. As far as I can remember, we had guns "laying around the house", so it was about as big of a deal as finding a hammer in the garage. In fact, I think the only time we were worried was when we went out of town, then they got hidden. My old man taught me how to shoot his. 270 fairly well before I was even in high school, hunter safety school at 11 or 12, and have been out with friends shooting as far back as I can remember. All seemed normal at the time. My Dad and his Dad, their lives revolved around shooting, hunting, plinking, reloading, so that is how I was raised- So I feel laws requiring people to lock up their firearms don't make much sense, anymore than locking up a length of rope, a jug of weedkiller, jerry cans of gas, or any myriad of items you might find around the house or garage. The term slippery slope seems to apply here, and who gets to be entrusted with making the call as to what qualifies as dangerous?
With freedom comes responsibility. Do suicide rates go down the closer a nation gets to a police state? Besides, do we really need to find some scapegoat every time a person decides to do harm to others or self? Who was the manufacturer of the gun? Is that important so they can get sued too? It's just a line of thinking I can't buy into. But then I was raised differently than a lot of people, so I can understand the difference of opinion.

Once the Government-BigPharma Covid panic was launched and the incessant media drumbeat followed (24/7/365 X 2), hope has been lost. Youth who are now taught that they not have a gender, or may have two or more genders; and who are told that they will burn up from global warming even if Covid or Monkey-around Pox don't kill them literally do not know what to think. Suicide is an act of the desperate and government-media caused desperartion is running high.

Therefore: cancel the media.

My safe registers just below TL-15--UL gives a TL-15 safe a 15 minute rating, which is fairly substantial in the safe world. I have zero control over which tools a criminal will bring to open my safe but I can guarantee that an angle grinder with a cut-off wheel will take a very long time to slice through a 5" thick safe door

This is the current production copy of my safe. Amsec has cheapened it, as my BF series safe is a first gen &weights almost twice as much

That's a $7000 safe. Some of these folks you're denigrating for having cheap RSCs can't afford a professional safe for their $300 gun. Granted, a $100 metal box would have been better than a kitchen drawer, but there's a middle ground here and for an awful lot of people that is south of $500.

Edit: It looks like it wasn't Bill denigrating people. Apologies.

Last Edited:
Honestly my last response to this post and then I'm done with it.

Population has changed. May or may not contribute to this. As far as suicide back in the day vs now… same ways done just different drugs etc…

We as a society… especially here. Tend to go to extremes no matter what the subject or situation is. The problem is not just 1 simple thing. It's a multitude. Just like when someone decides to commit suicide, become a mass shooter, or whatever you want to insert as a loss of life or lives!

It's in your face everywhere. Everyone has access to BS on the internet. I want my 15 minutes of fame. My family wasn't there for me. The list goes on and on and on.

As far as safes… once again it is just like the club for your car, alarm system, gated community and that list goes on. A DETERMINED person will FIND a way around whatever they want. The determination is what matters. And having installed alarms, safes etc not one is full proof. Even the websites say that they are resistant.

I'm not signaling anyone out or saying that you are wrong. Each of you have VALID points. I can keep going but why?

Either you will listen or not. It's your choice and I can't change it. I can only control my own stuff that pertains to me and try to help people that want help. To the best of my ability!

That's a $7000 safe. Some of these folks you're denigrating for having cheap RSCs can't afford a professional safe for their $300 gun. Granted, a $100 metal box would have been better than a kitchen drawer, but there's a middle ground here and for an awful lot of people that is south of $500.
YEP!
When it comes to "safes" it almost always goes this way. Someone will post a link to a video showing how easy it is to peel a average gun safe. Then say unless you want something fit for a small bank it a waste.:rolleyes:
Few gun owners are willing or able to spend that kind of cash but, still do not want to have their guns siting in a closet. Most of the stolen are smash and grab doper's. They don't come prepared to do much more than get in and get out quick. So any safe beats no safe because the owner was told he needed something that cost more than the car he drives.
Now as far as this poor gal, they are railroading her to make a point. A teenager could easily get into ANY kind of gun safe if he was ever left alone at home. The morons who came up with this law would not say if the same teen got into some prescription drugs, or took Moms car and died that she should be charged with a crime. They only want to blame the evil gun. So now this gal not only has to live with the loss of her kid, they want to prosecute her. The people doing this are SCUM!🤬

YEP!
When it comes to "safes" it almost always goes this way. Someone will post a link to a video showing how easy it is to peel a average gun safe. Then say unless you want something fit for a small bank it a waste.:rolleyes:
Few gun owners are willing or able to spend that kind of cash but, still do not want to have their guns siting in a closet. Most of the stolen are smash and grab doper's. They don't come prepared to do much more than get in and get out quick. So any safe beats no safe because the owner was told he needed something that cost more than the car he drives.
Now as far as this poor gal, they are railroading her to make a point. A teenager could easily get into ANY kind of gun safe if he was ever left alone at home. The morons who came up with this law would not say if the same teen got into some prescription drugs, or took Moms car and died that she should be charged with a crime. They only want to blame the evil gun. So now this gal not only has to live with the loss of her kid, they want to prosecute her. The people doing this are SCUM!🤬
We did all kinds of irresponsible as kids that could have killed us. It's a part of growing up. This is not a sterile, innocuous world we live in. Pretending that it is or could be soon is what leads to stupid laws and stupider prosecutions.

I'm not saying it was an accident. I'm saying bigger picture, these utopians driving over-regulation never take into account the nature of human beings.

We did all kinds of irresponsible as kids that could have killed us. It's a part of growing up. This is not a sterile, innocuous world we live in. Pretending that it is or could be soon is what leads to stupid laws and stupider prosecutions.

I'm not saying it was an accident. I'm saying bigger picture, these utopians driving over-regulation never take into account the nature of human beings.
It did kill "us". The unintentional injury rate for children used to be incredibly high compared to today.

It's not about gun safes, that's for sure. What are you getting at?
That this "we didn't have X when I was a kid, and we lived" assertion is stupid. Kids got killed all the time - they just can't speak up today because the dead don't talk.

I would rather not have to have a safe law. I would rather people pulled their heads out of their behinds and realized that teens often commit suicide impulsively, without a lot of parental warning, and may well get past that impulse if they have more of a barrier to trying it than a kitchen drawer.

This isn't about trust, or values, or whether a 13 year old has access to an industrial cutting torch. It is about putting a speed bump in the way of a lazy and half hearted pubescent urge.

That this "we didn't have X when I was a kid, and we lived" assertion is stupid. Kids got killed all the time - they just can't speak up today because the dead don't talk.

I would rather not have to have a safe law. I would rather people pulled their heads out of their behinds and realized that teens often commit suicide impulsively, without a lot of parental warning, and may well get past that impulse if they have more of a barrier to trying it than a kitchen drawer.

This isn't about trust, or values, or whether a 13 year old has access to an industrial cutting torch. It is about putting a speed bump in the way of a lazy and half hearted pubescent urge.
The curve to which you refer barely applies to me and I'm pretty old. Your argument would have held more water in the 1950's.

Sad the kid committed suicide.

Curious why the mothers occupation matters at all.
Not that occupation really matters, but when ANYONE becomes that complacent with a firearm in a house with children, there are usually consequences.

In decades past, kids were raised with the use of firearms in the home and they were stored in glass gun cabinets or up against the wall behind the door, and violating the "don't touch!" rule in homes then resulted in what is now considered child abuse.😲

My opinion is stupid? Thanks for that. I'll chalk that up there with being immoral, as you have also labelled me and all other members on this forum. I think we are products of our environment, but that's just my stupid opinion.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top