JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The only M70 I have ever owned, and it's a "Resurrection" rifle. One day after retiring from the Navy (1994) I walked into an old friends gunsmithing shop, and there in the corner lay a well broken rifle. Bob informed me that a rancher had run over it with a tractor, the stock was well splintered and the barrel bent. Somehow, the action was undamaged. Bob then asks if I was still thinking about a .375 H&H, and I said yes. He had a nearly new Winchester barrel in this, so it was decided to fix 'er up. Boyds laminate stock a bit oversized, Sightron 2.5x20 scope with Luepold QD rings and bases, factory open sights already on the barrel. My original intent was to hunt Moose in Alaska with it, but that never materialized. The serial number indicates it was made in 1977. It does thump Elk quite satisfactorily, earning the moniker "Thor's Hammer".

20231016_082651 (1).jpg 20231016_082712.jpg 20231016_082841.jpg

I bought a Pre-64 standard length action many years ago. I had it barreled and chambered for the 338/06 Ackley Improved. I stocked it in a High Tech Specialties S2 fiberglass stock. I have shot it some to fireform brass and developed a decent load with Nosler 210 Partitions at 2850 fps. Have never hunted with it and haven't shot it in a long while. I have always liked the Pre-64 action. I have had several others as well.

What did the Model 70 have? There was a certain "feel" to it that was very rare among rifles. It felt good; it felt solid; it felt like you were going to hit what you were aiming at.

The action had a glassy smoothness to it that you simply don't encounter in today's rifles. New from the factory, a Model 70 cycled as though it had been used for 25 years. It was nothing more than a refined Model 98 Mauser, but it shared the Mauser's reliability.

Was this all? No, it was not. The Model 54′s double-stage trigger was replaced with a single-stage that was truly a work of genius. It has the simplicity and ruggedness of a military trigger, but can be fine tuned to a let-off that endears it to target shooters.

And finally, it had the lines. No one can define this, but all you have to do is look at a rifle with good lines and you know it. It's no accident that the Model 70 has served as the basis for more work-of-art custom rifles than any action except the Model 98.

Taken from : https://www.fieldandstream.com/story/guns/the-winchester-model-70-american-icon/

Yup.......when I came to that point in life, where I wanted one.......well, I went with the sporterized version of the Mauser 98 in .30-06.

1698000969374.png

My Plain Jane versions of a sporterized Mauser 98. LOL......and I don't even hunt.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
Photo of some of my Pre 64s from when I was thinking of thinning the herd a couple years ago. Not shown are my pristine 1950 270, and my well used 1951 300 H&H that have sentimental value, having known the local legends who purchased new and/or owned them.

Pictured:

Later pristine 243 Fwt wearing it's hunting stock (the original is too nice). 338 Alaskan (my go-to elk rifle), 300 H&H circa 1951, pre-war 300, and my model 71 348 (pushing 250 grain Woodleighs at a real 2400 fps with no indication of pressure, has earned its way to the top of my list as a brown bear defense rifle).

IMG_3820.jpeg

So a co worker of mine is back in Ohio for work (bird flue outbreak) and stopped in at a local gun shop. He found a unfired 1947 30 06 with a leupold scope from the 80s. I didn't know such a unicorn existed....they want 1500$ for it. We will see if he comes home with it!

How in the hell did I miss this thread? o_O

The Grand Sobo's Model 70 in .30-'06, with its original Weaver K6 scope. The S/N is in the mid-50,000s, which puts its manufacture in 1946, according to the Winchester website. The Grand Sobo acquired it in 1950, immediately prior to his venture into what was to become Alaska a few years later. This rifle has only been fired by three males in the Grand Sobo patrilineage (the Grand Sobo himself, my older brother, and Yours Truly). It's in my care now, to be cherished lovingly for as long as I live and breathe...

Winchester70.01.JPG

How in the hell did I miss this thread? o_O

The Grand Sobo's Model 70 in .30-'06, with its original Weaver K6 scope. The S/N is in the mid-50,000s, which puts its manufacture in 1946, according to the Winchester website. The Grand Sobo acquired it in 1950, immediately prior to his venture into what was to become Alaska a few years later. This rifle has only been fired by three males in the Grand Sobo patrilineage (the Grand Sobo himself, my older brother, and Yours Truly). It's in my care now, to be cherished lovingly for as long as I live and breathe...

View attachment 1813133
There's just something mythical and magical about a fine original Pre 64 Winchester M-70! An almost lost art form that no modern rifle can match! The absolute diffinition of a Classic American Rifle!

A co worker was recently back in Ohio working on a bid flue outbreak. On his day off(we get 1 day off on a 21 day rotation) he found a little gun shop, there on the rack was a 1947 70 30-06 that was never fired with the box.....I didn't think such a rifle existed. He bought it and it's getting shipped back to oregon. I can't wait to check it out

A co worker was recently back in Ohio working on a bid flue outbreak. On his day off(we get 1 day off on a 21 day rotation) he found a little gun shop, there on the rack was a 1947 70 30-06 that was never fired with the box.....I didn't think such a rifle existed. He bought it and it's getting shipped back to oregon. I can't wait to check it out
That is phuq'n unreal! Kudos to him for scoring such a find! I'll place even money that the S/N on that rifle is not over 60,000.

I didn't think it was even a possibility to come across something like that. Has to rarer than hens teeth to find something that old unfired.
Would absolutely love to see a pic of that masterpiece when he gets it back home. See if you can scare one up from him and post it here... :)

That is phuq'n unreal! Kudos to him for scoring such a find! I'll place even money that the S/N on that rifle is not over 60,000.
Ok.....so I just got a call from my co worker. It's bad.....really bad! He made a massive mistake, the serial number on his 70 has a g in front of it. So it's not a pre 64, it's from the mid 70s. He paid way to much for it