JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Firearm prices, ammo prices, etc... will always ebb and flow. Personally, would never cause me to remove something completely.
But it does change how much I shoot. and the key is that i'm talking about something I can put alot of rounds through. I'm seeing aks becoming more akin to an M1 Garand or M1 carbine. Something you take out on occasion but not something I can put rounds consistency through in order to train.

Ive just been seeing it cheaper of late (looking at it just today appears not not so much).
We aren't getting more sources that are importing/ producing it. PSA had theirs listed as a placeholder for $0.45 pr
I'm not buying into the PSA ammo production myth. If they start cranking out steel cased , but with the problems of AmmoInc. ,I'll pass.

I just dont see it getting cheaper than 556.
I think I see now where your coming from, the price difference between any given calibers never changes. One caliber exponentially increasing in price over similar rounds isnt going to happen.
Ive just been seeing it cheaper of late (looking at it just today appears not not so much).
We aren't getting more sources that are importing/ producing it. PSA had theirs listed as a placeholder for $0.45 pr
What your noticing is supply chain issues. When this happens less popular calibers will fall in short supply sooner and ammo makers focus on what sells the most. It might be valid to switch to the more popular caliber during these times.

Side note: FWIW Ive been seeing way more AR15s in Ukrainian hands lately than AKs. Just an observation.

Side note: FWIW Ive been seeing way more AR15s in Ukrainian hands lately than AKs. Just an observation.
Ive been noticing that too.

I see three possible reasons:
1)Ukraine has gone through most of their stockpile of combock reserves
2)They are trying to switch over to more western arms because its easier logistically. (This is backed up by the fact that the west uses 5.56 and thats most of the aid, the Czechs are building them a factory to produce Bren 2's in country) As a fighting gun I see virtually no difference between AKs, ARs, Brens, Scar16s exc.
3)Soldiers being soldiers, they want the latest and greatest gear

I hope its not the 1st reason for the sake of this topic but its hard to know.

But it does change how much I shoot. and the key is that i'm talking about something I can put alot of rounds through. I'm seeing aks becoming more akin to an M1 Garand or M1 carbine. Something you take out on occasion but not something I can put rounds consistency through in order to train.
In todays current events you should probably enter conserving your stores stage.
As for the longevity of the AK, surplus will be around for a very long time but I don't see those countries militaries investing any more design time in the platform.

2)They are trying to switch over to more western arms because its easier logistically. (This is backed up by the fact that the west uses 5.56 and thats most of the aid, the Czechs are building them a factory to produce Bren 2's in country) As a fighting gun I see virtually no difference between AKs, ARs, Brens, Scar16s exc.

4) its what they're being supplied with from our government...

Piggy backing off this, I've seen way more ARs on people's chopping block than AKs. Likewise, just an observation.
In the US citizen market?

If anyone over here has a pre ban AK nobody in their right mind would sell that piece of history. I dont know about the recent US make AKs.

They are switching over because they are getting aid.

The difference between an AK and AR in combat is when you want to mount an optic which is pretty much standard use now. The AK falls behind greatly in the optic options.

Potentially.

Could also be because there is an understanding if you're traveling the world in an apocalyptic scenario, 7.62x39 can be found anywhere and everywhere.
I don think my apocalyptic scenerio involves me taking a trip to Europe...

JK, I can run an ak. Its like riding a bike at this point, you never really forget.

They are switching over because they are getting aid.

The difference between an AK and AR in combat is when you want to mount an optic which is pretty much standard use now. The AK falls behind greatly in the optic options.
Yes. At the individual level it does make a difference. I was referring to a large scale fight. Intel, air power, drones, tactics, and terrain matter way more than an optic on a rifle.

I don think my apocalyptic scenerio involves me taking a trip to Europe...

JK, I can run an ak. Its like riding a bike at this point, you never really forget.
I think the bottom line answer to your original question is as follows... at least for me...

Is 7.62x39 dead as training round?

For you, maybe. Sounds like you kinda are leaning that way and that's perfectly reasonable.

For others maybe, maybe not. Some might have the same opinion as you and some would never dream of removing their AK from their training protocol.

Regardless of what you choose... train, train and then train some more. Maybe we'll run into each other in Europe someday scavenging for 7.62... 😃.

Yes. At the individual level it does make a difference. I was referring to a large scale fight. Intel, air power, drones, tactics, and terrain matter way more than an optic on a rifle.
Im not in the military but I cant imagine one army with iron sights fairing equally against an army with optic infantry rifles. A simple red dot is sooo much easier to use.

I think the bottom line answer to your original question is as follows... at least for me...

Is 7.62x39 dead as training round?

For you, maybe. Sounds like you kinda are leaning that way and that's perfectly reasonable.

For others maybe, maybe not. Some might have the same opinion as you and some would never dream of removing their AK from their training protocol.

Regardless of what you choose... train, train and then train some more. Maybe we'll run into each other in Europe someday scavenging for 7.62... 😃.
Haha but you hit the nail on the head "train, train, train".
And I dont know about your profession but yes we might end up in Europe with empty M4s looking for AK food in the not so distant future.

Im not in the military but I cant imagine one army with iron sights fairing equally against an army with optic infantry rifles. A simple red dot is sooo much easier to use.
If the armies are equally matched yes its an advantage. If that army with iron sights has better comms, sustainment, more fit and better trained they will destroy the other army. Or in the Russians case, they run iron sights but delete grid squares with artillery.

A bit off topic but its not something ppl think about.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews