JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Please excuse the Dumb Question, but do you need anything special to OC in Washington and Yamhill Counties? No CCW needed .

IMG_20240521_190417412~2.jpg

At a coffee shop where a few of us were open carrying, I stepped outside for a cigarette and overheard a patron on the phone saying, "There's nothing you can do? How can that be?" He never approached us or even made eye contact.

During a conversation about guns another member of the group, probably not a gun owner related that a young neighbor of hers was "parading around the parking lot" with a gun and the police wouldn't do anything. I asked her what law he was breaking.
"Well, he had a gun!"
"Was it in a holster?"
"Well yes but everyone could see it." (I resisted making a comment. You know what comment.)
"Was he over 21?"
"I don't know."
"Open carry is not illegal in Washington State."
"What?"
And so forth. She had trouble believing that you only needed a license to carry concealed, but she eventually seemed to get it. I give her points for being reasonably polite and straightforward.

This is what POs me off most. People just ASSUMING open carry is not legal. I wish they would educate themselves on this.

Heck I see LOTS of illegal things everyday that don't even raise any eyebrows.
TV and movies always get it wrong. It's not like people look up stuff like that. I saw a study once that showed something like 90% of the misconceptions that medical students held were from TV and movies.

When I've open carried, I usually get people asking out of curiosity rather than trying to be facetious. Some have asked if I was LE because of my Safariland retention rigs I use. Can be a great way to encourage positive discussion on the 2A. Part of it, as much as I hate to say it, how you dress while OC can influence people's perception and further commentary on the matter as well.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top