JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So lets say someone built a faraday can. In this example, I'll say a 50 cal ammo can that is insulated inside with cardboard with a lid that has been sealed with foil tape. This would then be placed inside a cardboard insulated galvanized garbage can and the lid also sealed.

Would they need to ground the exterior of the garbage can with a copper wire tied to a ground rod as well, or leave it un grounded?
Depends. For safety... yes. For the faraday to work as intended... no. Any charge will remain in the conductive material.

In your proposed setup you're looking at something like a -120... -140dB attenuation. As long as you're going to that much effort then why "not" run a ground?

Another thing to consider is that any HEMP event would likely be done in stages apparently.

Stage 1 would take out 90% of vulnerable equipment and infrastructure.

After a period of time, another one would take out the stuff that was being used after the first wave had come and gone and people brought out their stuff that had been protected during the first wave. So you might be better off waiting until after that 2nd wave before you break out your stuff.

Another thing to consider is that any HEMP event would likely be done in stages apparently.

Stage 1 would take out 90% of vulnerable equipment and infrastructure.

After a period of time, another one would take out the stuff that was being used after the first wave had come and gone and people brought out their stuff that had been protected during the first wave. So you might be better off waiting until after that 2nd wave before you break out your stuff.
That's where 2 is 1 and 1 is none comes into play as well. I think you're right that many only consider a single HEMP event... which isn't going to be the case. Only removing equipment as needed and maintaining a shielded backup and/or components is prudent.

On a more realistic note...

Call me skeptical but...

I'm not sure where the notion came from that a nuclear EMP would mean "all things that uses electricity gets disabled/fried/destroyed".... microprocessors and chips, yes. Edit and most times only if they're on/conducting electrical currents . Copper wiring and magneto motors or the like? No.

Call me skeptical but...

I'm not sure where the notion came from that a nuclear EMP would mean "all things that uses electricity gets disabled/fried/destroyed".... microprocessors and chips, yes. Copper wiring and magneto motors or the like? No.
I think that you are right, while those older style components would not succumb to an emp event, they could kick out sparks or get very hot and start fires like in the carrington event back in the 1800s.
So your 55 ford pickup would work fine, but the run of wires to your house from the transformer outside could induce a charge and burn your place down.

Call me skeptical but...

I'm not sure where the notion came from that a nuclear EMP would mean "all things that uses electricity gets disabled/fried/destroyed".... microprocessors and chips, yes. Edit and most times only if they're on/conducting electrical currents . Copper wiring and magneto motors or the like? No.
Yeah, I wouldn't think it would have enough of a magnetic field to hit copper windings in motors, but all electrical power generation and distribution is either protected with electro-mechanical or microprocessor relays.

I think that you are right, while those older style components would not succumb to an emp event, they could kick out sparks or get very hot and start fires like in the carrington event back in the 1800s.
So your 55 ford pickup would work fine, but the run of wires to your house from the transformer outside could induce a charge and burn your place down.
The transformer is protected by fuses. That's not the primary issue.

So lets say someone built a faraday can. In this example, I'll say a 50 cal ammo can that is insulated inside with cardboard with a lid that has been sealed with foil tape. This would then be placed inside a cardboard insulated galvanized garbage can and the lid also sealed.

Would they need to ground the exterior of the garbage can with a copper wire tied to a ground rod as well, or leave it un grounded?
I did all that with my 5G cell phone, excluding the foil tape and ground wire. My phone still received calls. A different phone may not have.
Point being, materials have different behaviors to various frequencies. EMP designers work with that.

So lets say we receive an HEMP. from an adversary and most of the united states is in darkness.
No phones, hardly any running vehicles, no airplanes, and after fuel stocks had been used up, no generators at pumping stations to get more fuel.

Hospitals pretty much kaput, no schools, and only wood for heat and water that you'd have to filter and boil to use (after you hauled it to where you needed it.) No flushing the toilet either for most folks.

Even if you did have an anti emp device installed at your home or vehicle, what is the likelihood that the power providers infrastructure would still be putting out any juice? Wouldn't they also be impacted by the HEMP, or are they hardened enough to remain viable?

Does anybody really know? Is there anyone on here with an electrical or power plant type of background to clarify if substations and generating stations would still be putting out any voltage?

Does anyone know if those stand alone solar battery generators are hardened against an EMP? or would they be hosed as well?

Please advise.
OK, so we all know what an EMP is... wtf is "HEMP"? Generally we should have all the hemp we can receive, right?

OK, so we all know what an EMP is... wtf is "HEMP"? Generally we should have all the hemp we can receive, right?
H as in High altitude EMP. IOW, intentional high energy... vs. naturally occurring. Typically either atomic detonation or specifically designed high energy pulse device.

Last Edited:
I don't see a lot of value in going deep into hardening my stuff against an EMP. If it's caused by nuclear detonation, odds are we're all facing total annihilation from exchanging nukes with the aggressor nation anyway. A purpose-built device would wreak havoc but there wouldn't be radiation and fallout to contend with, so I would think services could be restored to the affected area within a month or so, which means hunkering down for a while is probably the right call.

I will concede it would make sense to have a Faraday bag for protection of important digital information, a radio so you can pick up emergency broadcasts, a compact solar charger, a cell phone, and any compact electronic medical devices you need in order to survive. Beyond that I would invest in non-electric means of illumination and heat, and have a variety of different flashlights on hand and plenty of batteries. Flashlights are unlikely to be affected by an EMP, but having variations in brands and construction is another way to help offset the chances of them all failing at the same time. Everything else I would do is general emergency preparedness, not specific to EMP prep.

I don't see a lot of value in going deep into hardening my stuff against an EMP. If it's caused by nuclear detonation, odds are we're all facing total annihilation from exchanging nukes with the aggressor nation anyway. A purpose-built device would wreak havoc but there wouldn't be radiation and fallout to contend with, so I would think services could be restored to the affected area within a month or so, which means hunkering down for a while is probably the right call.

I will concede it would make sense to have a Faraday bag for protection of important digital information, a radio so you can pick up emergency broadcasts, a compact solar charger, a cell phone, and any compact electronic medical devices you need in order to survive. Beyond that I would invest in non-electric means of illumination and heat, and have a variety of different flashlights on hand and plenty of batteries. Flashlights are unlikely to be affected by an EMP, but having variations in brands and construction is another way to help offset the chances of them all failing at the same time. Everything else I would do is general emergency preparedness, not specific to EMP prep.
Power co people have indicated that an HEMP. would ruin their transformers. Lead time on them is 16-36 months. Guess who makes them for us?

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top