JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
HURRICANE HARVEY

The forecast as of Friday morning looks like it will almost "hover" over the area for a few days.

upload_2017-8-25_6-8-0.png

We have friends that live in Corpus Christi. After this one they might be wishing they stayed in Washington.

NAAA I'd take a hurricane to not deal with the BS here in washington. :D

Just going through the news reports and I wonder which of the deaths were caused by stupidity[What to do and what not to do in an emergency post] and which were accidents?

Just going through the news reports and I wonder which of the deaths were caused by stupidity[What to do and what not to do in an emergency post] and which were accidents?
wow, really. I'm not going to judge anyone. Just because someone might not be trained or have a skill set in a certain situation, that none of us were there, doesn't mean they are stupid. Lets show some compassion for these families please.

Thought about possibly retiring in Florida one day.. After this event, I will never live in a hurricane prone flat, tropical or semi-tropical environment, especially with one of those desired waterfront views. At least if you live in a mountainous region you can escape most of the flooding. Mudslides are always a concern, but I would take that risk over just sitting in a neighborhood that what will soon become a giant lake. There is a reason why California has the most expensive waterfront property in the country, it is because it is not prone to natural disaster, except for occasional wildfires, earthquakes and mudslides, but nothing to this degree of devastation. The fact that the California, Oregon and Washington coasts are so mountainous protects them from the worst elements of coastal weather. I remember living on the Oregon Coast for 5 years and those storms could be brutal even with a 1500 ft mountain behind my home. The winds could get over 80mph, the rain falls so hard it bruises your skin and shake my home like an earthquake. However, the storms would die out pretty fast as the Coastal mountains blocked out most of the rain and wind from the coast before they could move inland and reduced the severity of the storms.

I grew up in the mountains and after these events I think if I ever buy any property it will be in a mountainous region sheltered away from the insane elements of nature that these regions are prone. In addition to hurricanes, you have serious problem with tornadoes which seem to be growing in power and number in the Plains region to the north of Houston.

There is a reason why societies that fortified themselves in the mountains managed to escape many of the disasters, diseases and invasions. Mountains give people a certain amount of security, both from invaders and from the elements of nature. Unless, of course, you are living at the base of an active volcano.

I wouldn't be surprised after this flooding if we see some outbreaks of Dengue Fever, Malaria, Typhoid, West Nile Virus, Cholera and potentially some other tropical diseases that are known to breed in these environments. Not saying it will happen, but in disasters of this scale in a semi-tropical environment like Coastal Texas, disease outbreaks can be another unforeseen problem that may arise. In addition the lack of sewage treatment, human waste, dead animals, proliferation of mosquitoes, etc will give diseases a hospitable environment.

Last Edited:
wow, really. I'm not going to judge anyone. Just because someone might not be trained or have a skill set in a certain situation, that none of us were there, doesn't mean they are stupid. Lets show some compassion for these families please.
+1 Everyone who was in the path is having a very hard time. Damage to infrastructure, homes, and an all around pretty traumatizing experience. Cut them some slack.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top