JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So what is a "safe" amount of ammo to store in your home?

20240504_211211.jpg 20240303_223344.jpg

I never expected firefighters to risk their lives fighting a fire where there is a lot of ammo or other extremely flammable stuff. Which is why I have a large placard on the man door of my shop where almost all of my ammo is, along with propane canisters and a 55 gallon drum of gasoline.

uDJ3fEkXLrQtqnjNyF2b3jgWiG_UdW0JJvh_Z1o5cMJXl8Zce4.jpg

And this is definitely and issue where I live; we came pretty close to having a forest fire destroy our neighborhood in 2020. We were lucky that the wind was from the east and stayed from the east. Had the prevailing wind been from the southwest at any time, it would have come towards my house.

As it was, we had to evacuate - the fire was less than a mile from my property.

werline-fire-washington-county-wildfire-09092020-3.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg

Nor was this the first time they stopped a fire from being a lot worse than it could have been; there was an unattended slash fire that got out of control a couple miles to the east that could have been really bad because it was windy that day and again the wind was from the east.

You can bet I will vote for the TVFR levy (https://www.tvfr.com/101/Local-Option-Levy ) this year and be quite glad to - all of my neighbors will too. To us, they are heroes.

I don't think that there are any Federal regulations regarding the amount of ammo stored in a residence, but there are regulations for smokeless powder storage. If you did have a house fire, and they somehow determined that you exceeded or improperly stored smokeless powder in your home, It would probably be grounds to deny any insurance claim, and possibly civil or criminal charges, depending on how much you exceeded the limits and if anyone was killed or injured as a result.
Of course, current or future leftist/Democrat anti-gun State laws would be a different story concerning ammo storage, but I haven't seen anything in those regarding amount or pertaining to fire safety.

I never expected firefighters to risk their lives fighting a fire where there is a lot of ammo or other extremely flammable stuff. Which is why I have a large placard on the man door of my shop where almost all of my ammo is, along with propane canisters and a 55 gallon drum of gasoline.

View attachment 1876202

And this is definitely and issue where I live; we came pretty close to having a forest fire destroy our neighborhood in 2020. We were lucky that the wind was from the east and stayed from the east. Had the prevailing wind been from the southwest at any time, it would have come towards my house.

As it was, we had to evacuate - the fire was less than a mile from my property.

View attachment 1876203
View attachment 1876204

Nor was this the first time they stopped a fire from being a lot worse than it could have been; there was an unattended slash fire that got out of control a couple miles to the east that could have been really bad because it was windy that day and again the wind was from the east.

You can bet I will vote for the TVFR levy (https://www.tvfr.com/101/Local-Option-Levy ) this year and be quite glad to - all of my neighbors will too. To us, they are heroes.
The flammable sign is a good idea.

I think ammo is dangerous in a fire if it's chambered in a firearm. When it cooks off, I think it will accelerate down the barrel just as if you pulled the trigger and punctured the primer. When it's not chambered, it won't have the expanding gases focused behind it to push and accelerate it and a barrel to point it as it picks up velocity.

I haven't tried that to confirm. :D

Last Edited:
I think ammo is dangerous in a fire if it's chambered in a firearm. When it cooks off, I think it will accelerate down the barrel just as if you pulled the trigger and punctured the primer. When it's not chambered, it won't have the expanding gases focused behind it to push and accelerate it and a barrel to point it as it picks up velocity.

I haven't tried that to confirm. :D
So when primers are hard to come by just grab a bic.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top