JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I didn't read all the posts, but wanted to mention. If you are making a connecting flight into an airport in a state, where your firearm is considered banned, you might want to reroute thru a gun friendly state. if you were to get delayed, cancelled etc. and forced to pick up your luggage in a state where your firearm is considered illegal, i am not sure of the consequences.
I've heard stories of this. The answer is to go to the baggage service office (if you have a gun in your luggage, it will be there with most airlines anyway...but not Southwest) and work with them to make sure it gets on your connecting flight without out taking possession of the bag. Yes, it will suck if you have to stay in that city overnight but by leaving it in the hands of the airlines it is their problem. I try to avoid NY, MA and NJ if at all possible. Cali has never been an issue (I can carry there lawfully) but even if I could not, in hundreds of trips in and out of airports there it would never have been a problem.

I assume that you have TSA precheck
Absolutely...but shhhhhhh, don't tell anyone else, lol. I like the short lines. I do not have Clear and after looking into it I don't see a reason to get it. Much more expensive, still not at many airports, I'll pass. When I update my PreCheck next time I'll get Global Entry as well for international travel since I'm doing this a bit now. Honestly, customs at both Seattle and PDX were very efficient during trips last year (non-firearm trips).

When traveling with electronics (I usually have a few computers, projector, tablets, and sometimes camera gear) the PreCheck line is not only much faster but also allows you to leave all that gear in your bags. With PreCheck on my last trip, my total time through the lines at PDX and returning from Cali totaled no more than five minutes. $85 for four years and I have credit cards that reimburse the full amount anyway...so free.

Here was my experience today. Arrived just over two hours before my flight. I have status with Southwest so I can use the priority lane that had no one in it while the regular customer assistance line had two people (but beware, I've seen it with 50+). Advised I had one bag to check with a firearm and also advised, as politely as possible to not come across as a jerk, that I can fill out the form myself if she would like me to. I've worked with this particular agent many times and she handed me the card. Had the flight info up on my phone to make it easier to fill out the form (some agents will just have you fill out your info). Signed the back and then advised here (before she tore off some tape (they use this to tape the card to your box) that I have a clear plastic holder already attached to my case so the card is secure and visible (super extra credit here). She noted this was not my first rodeo.

She asked me to wait 10 minutes in the area before going through screening; I waited 12. With TSA PreCheck getting through security is much faster and easier. Made sure my water bottle was empty and patted myself down before security. My 5.11 belt goes through the metal detector at PDX fine but not usually EUG, so left it on. Collected my stuff and picked up a bacon, egg, and pesto breakfast sandwich and a cup of Earl Grey tea from the Country Cat just inside security. After breakfast had about 25 minutes to kill at the gate before boarding. I have an Air Tag in my bag now...my bride tracks it as I don't use iPhone. (But interestingly, some Android devices know you have an Air Tag with you. Started doing this after a bag that was supposed to be in Edinburgh was still at Heathrow (yea, no gun that trip).

This boring process is what I strive for.
I've not flown since 90's while in the military, but can you explain why you "Made sure water bottle was empty?"

I've not flown since 90's while in the military, but can you explain why you "Made sure water bottle was empty?
Sure thing. Travelers passing through TSA checkpoints at airports are limited to containers of less than 3.4 oz (100ml). Even if you have a small amount of liquid in a larger bottle, this is a no-go. The bottles must fit into a 1-quart, clear bag. You generally must remove them from your carry-on bag as you go through the screening process. Thus, water bottles need to be emptied and then filled once inside security. Nearly every airport has multiple bottle filling stations.

Hope this helps.

Sure thing. Travelers passing through TSA checkpoints at airports are limited to containers of less than 3.4 oz (100ml). Even if you have a small amount of liquid in a larger bottle, this is a no-go. The bottles must fit into a 1-quart, clear bag. You generally must remove them from your carry-on bag as you go through the screening process. Thus, water bottles need to be emptied and then filled once inside security. Nearly every airport has multiple bottle filling stations.

Hope this helps.
Thanks :s0151: I typically flew commercial, stateside, & MAC flights globally. Of course this was definitely pre 9/11 & TSA.

Just dropped in to say that, anecdotally, I have been treated better with less hassle when I fly with a firearm in a checked bag than when I do not. Could be coincidence, or could be that I get a lot more scrutiny up front when I am checking a firearm, raising everyone's comfort level.

At the airports I fly, the bag is always hand-checked in my presence by a TSA agent, who are always unfailingly professional (though not always cheerful - hey, can relate).

I have learned to speak carefully when declaring; i.e., "this bag has a firearm to be checked", not "I have a gun". :) It's been years since I encountered an agent who was confused or freaked out by this; by now, they all seem to know the drill.

Definitely read the docs from your airline. There is NO consistency in how they want things done. Even different TSA agents can't agree on where the signed form should go, for example. I just smile and yes sir / yes ma'am.

Last Edited:
Just dropped in to say that, anecdotally, I have been treated better with less hassle when I fly with a firearm in a checked bag than when I do not. Could be coincidence, or could be that I get a lot more scrutiny up front when I am checking a firearm, raising everyone's comfort level.

At the airports I fly, the bag is always hand-checked in my presence by a TSA agent, who are always unfailingly polite.

I have learned to speak carefully when declaring; i.e., "this bag has a firearm to be checked", not "I have a gun". :) It's been years since I encountered an agent who was confused or freaked out by this; by now, they all seem to know the drill.

Definitely read the docs from your airline. There is NO consistency in how they want things done. Even different TSA agents can't agree on where the signed form should go, for example. I just smile and yes sir / yes ma'am.
View: https://youtu.be/mCgTjBgxjB4?feature=shared

At the airports I fly, the bag is always hand-checked in my presence by a TSA agent, who are always unfailingly courteous (though not always cheerful - hey, can relate).

Good info and I agree. This weekend I flew in and out of a regional airport in Colorado and had an interesting discussion with the ticket agent at AA and the TSA folks working right behind her. Everyone was exceptionally polite and helpful. The agent asked them if they prefer TSA locks or personal locks on the actual gun box (outside locks on a regular suitcase must be TSA but the gun box inside can be either). The TSA folks were gun owners and they personally prefer to use non-TSA locks. The ticket agents said others have advised using TSA locks...I'm sure this is because they don't have to call/page people to get their keys. It was yet another opportunity to learn and spread goodwill as a gun owner.

I have flown many times with one or multiple firearms. Never a problem with an airline.

No problems at all........until that fateful day in El Paso with a sawed off little peckerhead TSA minion.

Oh...it's a long story,...... with a good ending. The event included a damn near blizzard at night in the middle of friggin nowhere in the boot hill New Mexico, SW of White Signal, in a truck with minimal tire treads, caliche clay that had to be scraped off every 200 ft or so, and involved a mexican cab driver, at the airport,(Pancho....really!), when the aforesaid TSA peckerhead minion rejected my firearms storage, Walmart (I do not recommend that you go there with a large and loaded rifle case), the El Paso Gun Shop (TSA compliant rifle cases & good folks) and the SW Air folks who gave me free cold beer as we were taxiing down the runway ("This one's on SW!).

Oh yeah...I was down there hunting pigs, javelina and jackrabbits.....If you are ever in Silver City, NM....stop by the Buffalo Bar!

I have flown many times with one or multiple firearms. Never a problem with an airline.

No problems at all........until that fateful day in El Paso with a sawed off little peckerhead TSA minion.

Oh...it's a long story,...... with a good ending. The event included a damn near blizzard at night in the middle of friggin nowhere in the boot hill New Mexico, SW of White Signal, in a truck with minimal tire treads, caliche clay that had to be scraped off every 200 ft or so, and involved a mexican cab driver, at the airport,(Pancho....really!), when the aforesaid TSA peckerhead minion rejected my firearms storage, Walmart (I do not recommend that you go there with a large and loaded rifle case), the El Paso Gun Shop (TSA compliant rifle cases & good folks) and the SW Air folks who gave me free cold beer as we were taxiing down the runway ("This one's on SW!).

Oh yeah...I was down there hunting pigs, javelina and jackrabbits.....If you are ever in Silver City, NM....stop by the Buffalo Bar!
I had a few pistols stuffed in my locked ski tube, and Hawaiian airlines didn't want to accept that as a gun case. Told them it was for Black powder. :s0140:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top