JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Last time we were on the siltez IMAG0509.jpg IMAG0514.jpg

we just had a little 12 foot beercan, great for that river. dad could troll and drink beer and I could toss roosters.
Accully Two years ago every one was Quick fishing or flatfish .but this year it was all trolling a flasher and a spinner behind it . basically a little bigger than a rostertail

Also have a CHINOOK on but was released by accedent veia the net .
Lol got it to the boat but it got out of the net and left the hook in the net.

DUDE!!! Beginner's mistake... who trained you anyway? Oh, I guess maybe you just woke up or out of practice from all the dead minutes. :p;)

If you're with good company, doesn't matter.
There's more to it.

Not so much. There's nobody I like THAT much, not even my wife.

DUDE!!! Beginner's mistake... who trained you anyway? Oh, I guess maybe you just woke up or out of practice from all the dead minutes. :p;)

Not so much. There's nobody I like THAT much, not even my wife.
It wasn't me the fish was on my line my friend was doing the net work it was just a fluke bad luck the fish was in the net but the hook came out and the fish just jumped out of the net .befor he could close it up .it was a fresh fish from the sea good fight three good runs .just something that happens

It wasn't me the fish was on my line my friend was doing the net work it was just a fluke bad luck the fish was in the net but the hook came out and the fish just jumped out of the net .befor he could close it up .it was a fresh fish from the sea good fight three good runs .just something that happens

Mmmmm, maybe. :p ;);););)

I gotta come show him how to do it right? :rolleyes:

I remember one time when I was trolling the Chetco bay by myself... I hooked a nice Chinook, played it too long and the hook wore a hole in the mouth... got it to the boat and was holding the rod a bit too high so I could net the fish with the other hand, bent down a bit and the hook popped right out... yeah, it happens. My buddies were in another boat and scolded the crap out of me for playing the fish so long.

Mmmmm, maybe. :p ;);););)

I gotta come show him how to do it right? :rolleyes:

I remember one time when I was trolling the Chetco bay by myself... I hooked a nice Chinook, played it too long and the hook wore a hole in the mouth... got it to the boat and was holding the rod a bit too high so I could net the fish with the other hand, bent down a bit and the hook popped right out... yeah, it happens. My buddies were in another boat and scolded the crap out of me for playing the fish so long.
Accully we didn't get to fish in Oregon last year because my friend Charile was fighting the Chetco bar fire all summer lol .
So we just went bass fishing when he got off the fire line the Cherco bar fire was his last fire .he is completely retired now

Last Edited:
That's why it's called fishing and not "catching".
what we did in eastern oregon was catching. a stocked trout pond. from the time the bait hit the water to fish on the bank was 10 seconds. literally.between taking the hook out, baiting, walking back to the bank..we all limited out(5 each)in minutes. it was ridiculous.

Accully we didn't get to fish in Oregon last year because my friend Charile was fighting the Chetco bar fire all summer lol .
So we just went bass fishing when he got off the fire line the Cherco bar fire was his last fire .he is completely retired now

Does he miss it yet? My last fire was 2yrs ago, I think. I sometimes miss doing important work. Mebbe I should go fishing. :)

Does he miss it yet? My last fire was 2yrs ago, I think. I sometimes miss doing important work. Mebbe I should go fishing. :)
he was retired from driving a truck
and just worked the summer fire season driving a water truck for CAL FIRE and worked for a private company that supplied tanker trucks to fire in California Oregon Idaho WASHINGTON Nevada.
he said he kinda miss it already .lol

Yeah, yeah, blame it on the poor guy with the net!!!!:p:p:p:eek:
BTDTBTTS
I remember a time netting good size hook nose silver in they upper river and fast water. Three Swoopes and a miss the last time I attempted to net it it got tangled up in his gnarly hook nose and I just dragged him right into the boat.
:p:p:p

Last Edited:
Yeah, yeah, blame it on the poor guy with the net!!!!:p:p:p:eek:
BTDTBTTS
I work all the time netting Aid good size hook nose silver and they upper river and fast water. Three Swoopes and a miss the last time I attempted to net it it got tangled up in his gnarly hook nose and I just dragged him right into the boat.
:p:p:p

When I was new to salmon/steelhead, my buddies taught me how to net. IMO, most fishers get it wrong. Too far out, too close, scoops from way underneath, swoops from behind, stabs that knock the fish off, etc etc etc. But the guy playing the fish can screw it up too... lots of ways to lose a fish... the worst is when a seal takes half of it and your left reeling in a head... crab bait.

Last Edited:
When I was new to salmon/steelhead, my buddies taught me how to net. IMO, most fishers get it wrong. Too far out, too close, scoops from way underneath, swoops from behind, stabs that knock the fish off, etc etc etc. But the guy playing the fish can screw it up too... lots of ways to lose a fish... the worst is when a seal takes half of it and your left reeling in a head... crab bait.

Agreed, I tell my guys to just get the net at water level until I bring that fish to them on it's side and all they have to do is lift. Pretty damn cut-and-dry in my mind. Have I Lost fish netting? Sure I have, everybody has and that's how you get experienced by learning the right way to do it.;)

Last Edited:
Agreed, I yell my guys to just get the net at water level until I bring that fish to them on the side and all they have to do is lift. Pretty damn cut-and-dry in my mind. Have I Lost fish netting? Sure I have, everybody has and that's how you get experienced by learning the right way to do it.;)

For sure! Netter gotta be ready, no mucking about!! Net at water level with the excess net up against the handle, fisher brings fish to net, a short 6" dip/out/up/in and the net is closed and the fish out of the water safely against the side of the boat. Easy peasy.

I started my fishing career at Puddingstone Lake (Frank G Bonelli Park), Pomona Calif as a tyke using a bobber for bluegill, or bread/cheese for catfish. We didn't need no stinking nets. The weird thing is I don't remember if we lost any fish at the shore tho I'm sure we must have. Later on, I netted some freshwater bass, and some large saltwater rockfish or bottom fish. It didn't really matter much what your net skills were... except for the occasional largemouth that you would have been better off lipping you rarely lost a fish if it was played right and made it to the boat. (I just thought of the marlin our Mexican guide lost by pulling on the wire leader... it's a good thing he didn't lose our yellowfin tuna). With bass, you just went and caught another, no biggie. Bluefish on the east coast were towed right up on the sand. Later I landed a huge Chinook hen on a steelhead rod with 12lb test by using the same technique because I was onshore and by myself. But netting wasn't really a thing until I moved to the PNW. There's a learning curve.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top