JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Fairly new to the world of firearms, found this forum while combing the laws here in the PNW. Just purchased my first handgun, a Glock G42.
Unfortunately I was put in que so i wasn't able to take it home today. Has anyone experienced the wait time recently to pick up their firearm? If so how long did you have to wait? I also wanted to pick up a shotgun, but figured I'd most likely have to wait as well, or would I?

Welcome. 5-10 minutes top. I always get instant approval. Knock on wood it continues….

I was told something close to that. If I went to purchase another one would I automatically be put in que again?
Not necessarily. If you have a CHL the odds of being put in the que are less. Jeannie was in our favorite gun shop Thursday morning and bought two rifles. She went into the que, about 5000 back. Later in the day she decided she wanted a Ruger Standard model they had and that one was cleared immediately. Just after that purchase she decided to get the Blackhawk and Single-Six they had just gotten in. Instant clear for those two also. So in one day she was put in the que for two .22LR bolt-action rifles and got instant approval twice for three different handguns. There really isn't any rhyme or reason to it. Yes she has her CHL.

And welcome to the forum!!

Welcome Aboard. Glad you found the forum.

So, first handgun purchase... congratulations on taking that step in fully exercising your citizenship. As you have heard firm other members, the Oregon CHL does have some bearing on wait time... not always but most times. In the last two years, I think I was put in queue twice in maybe 15 transactions. The majority of the time, I'm instant or 10 minutes tops. Highly recommend that you get the training and get your CHL.

Speaking of training, even if you're former military or LEO, training is always a good idea.

This is the best place to hang out on the internet.

Check out the organized clean ups. It's the best way to meet the community and learn where and how to use public lands responsibly.

We are doing non ODFW supported cleanups at public forests - check the North Fork Wolf Creek Road thread in resources.

If you really want to get involved in community action check out Trash No Land.

Not necessarily. If you have a CHL the odds of being put in the que are less. Jeannie was in our favorite gun shop Thursday morning and bought two rifles. She went into the que, about 5000 back. Later in the day she decided she wanted a Ruger Standard model they had and that one was cleared immediately. Just after that purchase she decided to get the Blackhawk and Single-Six they had just gotten in. Instant clear for those two also. So in one day she was put in the que for two .22LR bolt-action rifles and got instant approval twice for three different handguns. There really isn't any rhyme or reason to it. Yes she has her CHL.

And welcome to the forum!!
I'm actually going to file the paperwork tomorrow for my CHL. So that helps alot. I'm sure regardless it's going to take a while now.

Welcome Aboard. Glad you found the forum.

So, first handgun purchase... congratulations on taking that step in fully exercising your citizenship. As you have heard firm other members, the Oregon CHL does have some bearing on wait time... not always but most times. In the last two years, I think I was put in queue twice in maybe 15 transactions. The majority of the time, I'm instant or 10 minutes tops. Highly recommend that you get the training and get your CHL.

Speaking of training, even if you're former military or LEO, training is always a good idea.

This is the best place to hang out on the internet.

Check out the organized clean ups. It's the best way to meet the community and learn where and how to use public lands responsibly.

We are doing non ODFW supported cleanups at public forests - check the North Fork Wolf Creek Road thread in resources.

If you really want to get involved in community action check out Trash No Land.

Awesome I appreciate the invite. That sounds like my kind of meet up.

welcome-to-the-party-meme-1.jpg

Aloha, Mark

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews