JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Thinking of starting a home based FFL. Mostly for private transfers and maybe manufacturing ammo from time to time. Are there any classes that cover the steps and information necessary to get started and maintain records and whatnot?

This will be a small side business so I don't need to hear any BS about 'it's not worth it, blab blah blah'. Looking for people with genuine information. I've owned a business before so am well aware of the business and insurance side of things. I just want to make sure I cover all my bases on the FFL side of things before I get too vested into the process.

Last Edited:
I haven't done a home-based FFL, but I did do all the paperwork for a former employer to get their 07/SOT FFL. It's seriously not as complicated as everyone wants to make it seem.

Best thing to do is call or go to your closest ATF office. They will lay everything out and answer any questions. I hate the ATF, but the local offices are genuinely helpful with stuff.

Edited my post since auto correct made it 'personal' and not private transfers. Yes I understand the ATF does not want you to have an FFL for personal gain. Hence why they require a business license among other things.

Yes I am aware of recent statutes.

Does anybody else want to offer any actual advice or a link to a class or literally anything useful? Thank you Nosferatu for being a productive member of this thread. Lol

these guys put on weekly seminars on what's going on in the ffl industry and have lots of compliance training if you sign up.
they also will help you with audits and what not if it comes to it.

Edited my post since auto correct made it 'personal' and not private transfers. Yes I understand the ATF does not want you to have an FFL for personal gain. Hence why they require a business license among other things.

Does anybody else want to offer any actual advice or a link to a class or literally anything useful? Thank you Nosferatu for being a productive member of this thread. Lol
Seems this is changing and they want lots of people to have FFLs now.

Well, thank YOU for accurately posting so we no longer have to waste our time pretending to actually give a sheite.

o_O

I cannot in good faith understand anyone wanting to start an FFL in Washington state with HB 2118 requirements looming.

Bars on your home's windows.
Video recording for all places of business and storage in your home.
Audio recording in your home.
WSP compliance inspections.
Submitting annual documentation to the AG's office.

Never mind the actual restriction on firearms. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against people running small FFLs from home. I just wouldn't even considering it and I hold 4 FFLs in Oregon and Washington.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top