JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I remember a case very similar to this.
Druggies moved into a new home, within a week had ticked off everyone in the neighborhood. one of the male druggies gets kicked out of the house naked and goes house to house banging on doors and windows. at some point he was at someone's bedroom window and was shot. he did not die.

the whole neighborhood requested to be interviewed for this. naked guy tried to take the shooter to court but even his lawyer was against it. I don't think the shooter was charged the DA's comment was some people bring these things on themselves. DR

Do you think that back during, say, the old west time, that if something like this went down that Eddie would have been arrested?

Or would the sheriff have rode out to Eddie's place, asked him what went down, and when Eddie tells the sheriff that his wacko neighbor was exposing his junk to his kids, the sheriff would have said something like, "nice job Eddie." And rode back to town.

Do you think that back during, say, the old west time, that if something like this went down that Eddie would have been arrested?

Or would the sheriff have rode out to Eddie's place, asked him what went down, and when Eddie tells the sheriff that his wacko neighbor was exposing his junk to his kids, the sheriff would have said something like, "nice job Eddie." And rode back to town.
You realize... most of that "old west" people getting shot over insults and the like is pure hollywood folklore, right? It helped put butt's in seats but was far from depicting typical everyday life.

I have no doubt there wouldn't have been some amount of "prairie justice", but law enforcement wasn't likely to have been involved and a man was typically man enough to take his beating when rightly deserved. Especially when sobering up and... deep down... knew they were in the wrong and brought it on themselves.

Not that there weren't just down right evil people back then, like there are now, but "prairie justice" was also most often dealt out in "due measure" and with good conscience. Nothing like today where a person will take measures to destroy your life as you know it simply for using the wrong pronoun. 🤣

Curious how a non-degraded law enforcement agency could have prevented this...? o_O

Some grown man shows his junk to my kids, I promise my first response is not going to be to call the police. I may yell to my wife or someone else to call, but in the 30 minutes it takes for them to get there, he and I will be having a little "chat"...

Would I shoot him...? Nope... cause I'm not stupid.

Would I wait patiently wait for LEO to arrive and hope the guy is even still around after he violated my children...? Nope...
A non-degraded police force probably would have had the deceased wanker in jail for prior offenses long before it got to this stage.

Now granted there is always a "first offense" that someone has to deal with, but from the way this story is written I get the distinct impression that this was not the deceased's first offense, and it was this lack of official response that lead not just the homicidal moron to his ultimate actions, but seems to have garnered him the support of at least a decent amount of his neighborhood to boot.

The sum totality of evens gives me strong vibes of this being a long festering problem that only got resolved this way because official responses were lacking.

I agree with you that that would have been my first response on how to handle it too. The question is what if this was not my first response to the wanker either? What if this was my second, or tenth? How many times are you willing to let such a person scare your wife and children with no official consequences before it is time to start taking more drastic actions? I don't have answers to that, but I see that lots of people are grappling with these questions today, not all of them with the coolest of heads. . .

Curious how a non-degraded law enforcement agency could have prevented this...? o_O
Living for near FOUR, long, years, with a severely degraded police force in your city changes a persons psyche. Deep down inside we KNOW that a call to this cities 911system will, most likely, result in being put on hold. And even if, you get a 911 operator, the chances of having an officer out to where you are in several minutes is virtually non-existent. It's a bubblegumty place for a mind to be let me tell you.
My temperament wouldn't allow me to do something as stupid as the guy in the article. Poor bastige! But I feel him. And wish for the people that did this to this once fine city suffer in misery at some point like the law abiding hard working people that pay their useless asses for nothing!

Last Edited:
^^^^^^^^^
Well, it sounds like Mike Schmidt might be on his way out the door. Here's hoping so, and that his replacement will be better. It's a deep hole to dig out of.

Living for near FOUR, long, years, with a severely degraded police force in your city changes a persons psyche. Deep down inside we KNOW that a call to this cities 911system will, most likely, result in being put on hold. And even if, you get a 911 operator, the chances of having an office out to where you are in several minutes is virtually non-existent. It's a bubblegumty place for a mind to be let me tell you.
My temperament wouldn't allow me to do something as stupid as the guy in the article. Poor bastige! But I feel him. And wish for the people that did this to this once fine city suffer in misery at some point like the law abiding hard working people that pay their useless asses for nothing!
I have been saying for a good while now that this 💩 of allowing crime is going to lead to some bad outcomes. Other day at work one guy was telling me about going to look at a place to live here in a "nice" part of town. He pulls up and in front of the place is street parking. An entire row of cars sitting there with one window smashed out in every one. Where some scum had just gone down the line smashing windows to look for quick grabs. Police here do nothing. Sooner or later someone who is a victim is going to catch someone doing this and lose their temper and end up in prison. :(

^^^^^^^^^
Well, it sounds like Mike Schmidt might be on his way out the door. Here's hoping so, and that his replacement will be better. It's a deep hole to dig out of.
Deep indeed. Seeing as none, that I know of, statues and monuments that were destroyed during the riots have been rebuilt. And businesses that had been a part of "Portland" historically have closed, and their buildings torn down or still empty. "Portland", has left the state. Hell, the state has left the state!

And as far as MultCo DA goes. He may be a good man, but the elites of potland/Oregon won't allow him to take out the garbage. That's my prediction anyway.

I think this incident and the degradation of police agencies all across big US cities are two different topics. Now maybe the dead guys priors played into this. Did Eddie overreact? Clearly but maybe he is just fed up with the fall of society like most of us here. He just acted inappropriately for a couple minutes more than we have. Neighbors posting bail actually tells you what they think of Eddie. Maybe I need to see Falling Down again soon. It seems whenever I leave home, my day turns to chit. This morning a Mustang cute off in a construction zone as I was going 55 on my SV650. I am not a fan of human beings.

A non-degraded police force probably would have had the deceased wanker in jail for prior offenses long before it got to this stage.
Sorta... even a felony indecent exposure charge will only get you a year and then put on a special list once you're out...

Side note... anyone else down for a special hunt tag for said list... :s0092:

The sum totality of evens gives me strong vibes of this being a long festering problem
Lotta fancy talk there fancy pants... a sprinkle of assumption too... 🙃

Anyhow... one POS is dead and the other POS will soon find out how much of a "man" he really is when he meets his new roomies.

Sorta... even a felony indecent exposure charge will only get you a year and then put on a special list once you're out...

Side note... anyone else down for a special hunt tag for said list... :s0092:

Lotta fancy talk there fancy pants... a sprinkle of assumption too... 🙃

Anyhow... one POS is dead and the other POS will soon find out how much of a "man" he really is when he meets his new roomies.
Yeah, we are all making assumptions about this incident based on the given article. I would really like more details but for the purposes of this discussion I think the assumptions are reasonable. After all the guy was well liked enough by his neighbors for them to spring for his bail. That says a lot right there. It certainly seems like a whole bunch of people a lot closer to the issue than we are don't think this guy deserves jail time despite his hot headed comments, which really makes me think there is more here than meets the eye. I assume a long festering issue within that community with the deceased fits that bill nicely ;)

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top