JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
If you want to keep your outdoor shooting places then clean them after you use them. I don't know how many places have been shut down because people left their garbage in the area after shooting. If you wouldn't have the stuff in your own living room then pick it up and throw it away.

jj:D

I have seen a few shut down. One I frequent got shut down and then re-opened, and now people are trashing it again so its just a matter of time before it is gone for good. Always bring a trash bag and clean up your garb as well as others. It only takes a few minutes and make a big difference.

Down were I live we are getting areas closed down all the time and when I hear people piss and moan about it I ask them if they ever clean any of the mess up they always say it wasn't my mess:angry:. Then I want to choke them I don't care whos mess clean it up if you want to shoot.

Do you guys take the time to clean up brass? I always have been one to pick up shotshells, targets and whatever trash is there, but I dont really put out the effort to pick up 500 .22 and other things I shoot. But sometimes I try and have my emties eject into the trunk of my car.

Joey and I were talking about setting up a Northwest Firearms shoot and clean up when it gets into the warmer months...

I think it would be really nice to clean up some of the local areas :)

JennyC - I am in for a shoot and clean! I was up at Larch Mountain today testing out my newly acquired .308 and of course plinking with my .22 (I collect all my brass by laying out a large tarp and gathering it all up.

I picked up people's junk today, but I could see much more out there. It is a big job- but I think we could earn ourselves a good rep with the environmental crowd in the Vancouver/ Portland area if we advertise the fact that we have a shoot and clean session every few weeks to clean the local shooting areas!

Excellent Idea!

I typically pick up all of my centerfire brass for reloading and any shotgun shells just because they're so obvious but I don't generally go to the extra effort to pick up the rimfire stuff. :eek:

MY excuse is that it's too small to notice and there is usually too darn much of it!! :p

Though I suppose a rake and shovel would make quick work of even that little stuff.

The "other" garbage though... absolutely!! :s0155:

Maybe after we've met sometime we can ALSO get a member with a trailer and go pick up garbage at one of these sites. I would be up for that.

I've got the trailer! I was actually considering doing this over at Brown's Camp but then the gravel maker's showed up. :)
My rule has always been to take home MORE trash than I brought.

I usually bring a 55gal plastic bag to pick up after myself and those before me. My apologies for not picking rimfire. And sometimes I am too tired to pick up steel cases. But I am getting better at it.

Browns Camp pit may never re-open 'cause we did things even pigs would not do. So, "Shoot-n-clean! Don't be a pig!" Would you wear a T-shirt with that slogan, or something like that?

Sadly I think that's probably the biggest reason shooting spots get closed. It's not the noise or the gunfire because most places are far enough out for neither of those to be a big deal. But when the place is littered with trash and looks like the people who DO use it just don't care then why should the owner have to put up with that sort of disrespect?? :(

Why dont we all make a plan to bring a few 30 gallon trash bags with your shoot and plan on doing some clean up regardless if its your trash. If you at least bag it its better then nothing Im sure on the way out theres some local trash dumpster you could drop it in. Better to Police your own and others stuff where you shoot then having the Police... Police you.

Sadly I think that's probably the biggest reason shooting spots get closed. It's not the noise or the gunfire because most places are far enough out for neither of those to be a big deal. But when the place is littered with trash and looks like the people who DO use it just don't care then why should the owner have to put up with that sort of disrespect?? :(

I definately agree. One of the places I go to is a small rock pit that's at least a quarter mile from the nearest house. I know nobody could care about the noise. I mainly go to that pit for 22 and pistol shooting, and for shooting clays. Normally I don't worry about 22 brass, but try and collect as much of my 45 brass as I can find. I usually take a couple large garbage bags, and all the shotgun shells come home with me, as well as the smaller "targets" that people leave out there (G.I. Joes, naked Barbies, pots, pans, stereos, and beer cans). The larger stuff I leave, mainly because I don't have room in my car for TV's. I try and use the White Flyer bio clays, but since it's a gravel covered, well traveled pit, I don't worry too much about it. There's no way I'm going to clean up and pack out every broken piece of clay from a couple cases, but after a week they've been driven over enough times that they disappear.

Good job!! :s0155:

Clays (and even brass for that matter) isn't really the main problem. The things that are most "noticable" are where the problems are. Things like the TV's, the stereos, the old "junk" that is used for targets, the shotgun shells, etc, those are the problem. I think if THOSE things were reduced nobody would really notice the "small" pieces.

Now if it would just start to warm up

Seems like the longest winter I can remember. It would be nice to go to the range without shivering the rounds into a cluster and instead, shooting them into a group.

Funny how folks don't take kindly to a hole-riddled washing machine on their property. No sense of adventure I guess.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top