JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Saw the Ruger post and made me think of this one

From Wiki:

The Colt Official Police is a medium frame, double-action revolver with a six-round cylinder, primarily chambered for the .38 Special cartridge, and manufactured by the Colt's Manufacturing Company. Released in 1908 as the Colt Army Special, the revolver was renamed the "Colt's Official Police" in 1927 in order to better market to law enforcement agencies. It became one of the bestselling police firearms of all time, eventually coming to exemplify typical law enforcement officer weaponry in the 1950s.[2] The Official Police was also used by various U.S. and allied military forces during World War II.

The one I have is my great grandfather's law enforcement service pistol made in 1929.

I have never shot it but I have 2 boxes of low recoil .38sp for it, even though I'm sure it would be fine with regular loads.

At some point one of my ancestors replaced the grips with the wrong ones so it looks a little wonky and they clearly do not fit the gun so that is the main reason for not having shot it yet.

One of these days I will have some disposable cash and the itch to fix it at the same time but for now it sits in a safe along with others I cherish.

Someday I will pass it on to a grandchild since my daughter is not interested but it gives me something to look forward to.

I have others that mean an awful lot to me and get used but this one takes the title of oldest firearm with personal history to me.

Cheers

IMG_0889.png

I have a Sears & Roebuck Ranger 16 gauge bolt action shotgun that was left to me by my father. He got it from his uncle when he was a teenager. My father was left handed, but learned to shoot it right handed so he could work the bolt quicker. I have no idea how old it is. The bore still shines like a mirror.
That shotgun, an old Case knife and a flat four finger left handed baseball glove is all I have left from my father.

Old guns...?
Yeah I might have a ......few....:D

Having an old gun , as well as a connection with it is something to treasure.
I have three guns that have family connections...and while not as old as what Joe13 has...
Or anywhere near as old as what tend to collect....
They are "old" in so far as what is commonly seen or posted about here on the forum.
My first gun is a Wingmaster from 1962 , given to me by my grandfather....
I have my dad's Colt Series '70 Government model from 1972 ...and a H&R 649 , given to me as a birthday present at age 13.
A long time gone...:D

The Colt Official Police is a fine revovler.
At one time I owned two...both from the late 1940's.
One in .38 Special the other in .22LR.
I used both "standard " loadings in .38 Special of the lead 158 grain type and the wad cutter 148 grain loadings.

Old Colt revolvers as well as old Smith & Wesson revolvers and "old" Ruger revolvers used to be a common sight at gun shows and shops ...along with many other fine "old" firearms....nowadays not so much , sad to say.
Many an "old" gun still works well for what it was designed to be used for.

Looking forward to a post from Joe13 where he has the proper grips and range report.
Andy

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR