JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Neat thread.
I have always had soft spot for a well made inexpensive single shot shot gun.
To me it seems a shame that more companies do not offer one.

Looking forward to seeing how your project turns out.
Andy

I've got an H&R Pardner break-barrel 12 gauge. As I recall I got it for just over $100 a couple years back. For the price, the quality is quite nice. It shoots well and it serves double-duty as the host for my Chiappa X-Caliber adapters. It's a ton of fun to shoot!

8-nef-72094_1.tif&wid=480&cvt=jpeg.jpg

Now I like that way of thinking. I can see myself working on the trigger, polishing the chamber and lengthening the forcing cone and porting it and adding a good pachmayr recoil pad to reduce some of that recoil. Would make a fun project...

Those would all really help to tame the kick. Not sure what can be done about the trigger, but MAN does it need work. Even with the pull lightened it's utter garbage.

You guys talk my language. How many times have I bought something that "needed work" and ended up spending almost as much --or more-- time, money and effort as I would have if I bought a new-better one off the rack. People don't understand; it's a Zen thing.

It's fun tinkering on stuff. As long as you aren't making it unsafe in the process, it's all win win...;). Better than hanging out at the bar and far less expensive..

...the trigger is miserable, so miserable infact one reviewer's girlfriend had to use two fingers to pull the trigger.
That problem can be easily remedied....

To tame the kick (without having to resort to target or mild handloads) check out the LimbSaver - Recoil Pads | Archery & Firearm Accessories.
I put the slip-on version on my little 5 lb. 20 ga. Topper and since, high brass "Duck & Pheasant" loads are no problem.

Good luck. Give us a range report once you get to usin' it a bit. =)

Dean

Last Edited:
I have one of those Pardners in .20 gauge with a 26 inch barrel and MOD. choke
Great little grouse getter.
Those X-caliber adapters seem like a neat idea.
Andy
Me too! (well, mine's a Topper, actually)
Mine was originally a full choke, but I had it opened to modified....I do wish they still made a 30" barrel for it, though.
I wonder if those X-caliber adapters would work in an older Topper model...hmmm...o_O

Dean

That problem can be easily remedied....

To tame the kick (without having to resort to target or mild handloads) check out the LimbSaver - Recoil Pads | Archery & Firearm Accessories.
I put the slip-on version on my little 5 lb. 20 ga. Topper and since, high brass "Duck & Pheasant" loads are no problem.

Good luck. Give us a range report once you get to usin' it a bit. =)

Dean

I've adjusted the trigger as such. It's improved, but still in the vicinity of miserable. Needs some serious attention to become what i think most would call "just okay". Then again... $99 right?

A slip on limbsaver would be wise. I keep hoping I can find a used gracoil recoil reducer that I can toss on with a recoil pad. Sure it'd cost more than the shotgun.. but it just might work!

Shredjesse,

At this point, you need to shoot the gun A LOT.
You can also get a snap cap (or fired round), chamber it and just cock and "fire" the weapon many times.
This will wear-in the inner workings, eventually resulting in a "nice" trigger feel.
This is not an uncommon situation to run across with just about any brand new gun.
It's just that I've been seeing a lot of comments concerning issues with the trigger and hammer pull and found that video, so I was just passing the word along.
I didn't think it would improve the feel all that much, but at least it would make the pull more tolerable.

Dean

Oh it entirely helped the weight of the trigger pul.. It's down from 15lbs or so to 7lbs. Still not great, or even decent, but improved. A bajillion trigger pulls may help, but I think you gotta try it for yourself to see. It's pretty junky!

I've yet to take this thing to the Vancouver Trap Club. Been focusing on getting my 1100 just right. I may tool around a bit more with this as I hope to have an extra recoil pad soon.

Oh it entirely helped the weight of the trigger pul.. It's down from 15lbs or so to 7lbs. Still not great, or even decent, but improved. A bajillion trigger pulls may help, but I think you gotta try it for yourself to see. It's pretty junky!

I've yet to take this thing to the Vancouver Trap Club. Been focusing on getting my 1100 just right. I may tool around a bit more with this as I hope to have an extra recoil pad soon.
I've got a single...in fact, I've got 2.
It's a bit of a drive, but I might just come down for a visit and check you out.

Dean

Boy, I'm definitely bucking the grain here, or visa-versa! Now I get
that there is a place for single shot shotguns! Like for folks who can't scrape up another $89 to buy a repeating shotgun!

Sow's Ear to a Sow's Ear! Sorry! :D

Don't forget to add the custom cerakote or python schemed (rattle-can) paint jobs for maximum tacticool effect. That alone can start fierce competition during the build challenge. ;)
$ingleshot-cerakote.jpg

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR