JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello all. Im curious what it would take/ what is the process to change hunting regulations? Specifically in reference to the minimal caliber size for elk in Oregon. I don't want this to become a caliber debate but bllet technology has come a long way in the last few years making bores smaller than .24 a viable option (assuming the shooter is skilled enough).

The problem I see is how does a warden determine if the proper bullet is being used and if the shooter is skilled enough.

Bruce

Last Edited:
Why would you want a smaller than .24 cal?
Not speaking for myself, but I've heard several people wish they could hunt deer with .223.

I would imagine with the popularity of .223 and the prevalence of it in so many homes its an option people wish they had.

Last time I checked there were only a dozen or so states that did not allow deer hunting with .223... 🤷‍♂️

Not speaking for myself, but I've heard several people wish they could hunt deer with .223.

I would imagine with the popularity of .223 and the prevalence of it in so many homes its an option people wish they had.

Last time I checked there were only a dozen or so states that did not allow deer hunting with .223... 🤷‍♂️
You can hunt deer in Oregon with .223.

less than 24cal for elk.
My guess is you'd have to collect enough signatures to submit a citizen ballot initiative.

Please tell me this isn't influenced by that huge Rokslide thread on hunting elk with 223?

What bullet technology has improved to justify 223 for elk?

I've taken two deer with .223 and one with a .308 (all in Oregon)… all one shot kills, all about the same range of <50 yards, and the .308 did WAY more internal damage than either of the .223 shots.

I wouldn't attempt elk with a .223 (except for a survival scenario), deer no problem.

Hello all. Im curious what it would take/ what is the process to change hunting regulations? Specifically in reference to the minimal caliber size for elk in Oregon. I don't want this to become a caliber debate but bllet technology has come a long way in the last few years making bores smaller than .24 a viable option (assuming the shooter is skilled enough).
Just curious how many elk you have killed?

Its that skilled shooter ( and hunter ) part that is the sticking point.

I know that bullets have come a long way from lead round ball...not to forget to mention stone and steel arrow points.
However...even with the latest in projectile technology...you gotta be a good shot..and hunter to bring home game.
Luck plays a role here too.

Any game animal should get a clean , quick kill from a hunter.
This at times , may require a heavy projectile. or a specific bullet design...this may exclude calibers smaller than .24 for elk.
Andy

Edit to bold that last bit...since it seems to have been missed.

Last Edited:
Changing the rules (I could be wrong on this).

I believe that the caliber requirements are Administrative Rules set by the ODFW Commission. They have the force of law but are not specified in the Oregon Revised Statutes. You can submit your proposed changes to the ODFW Commission during any one of their meetings, either in person or virtually, and there are rules on how to do that.

You can also do it through the initiative or legislative process, which will become law if successful, superseding any Administrative Rule.

If this thread was a poll, I would vote thumbs down.
Yes, bullets are better than they used to be, but a 223's still a little bullet for a big animal like elk. I don't believe there is enough energy in those bullets to drive really deep on a poor angle shot.

The question I would have is simple what round loaded in .223 Rem has the energy to drop a Bull elk at 300 yards.

The other problem with this is not the ultimate load possible to stuff into a .223 Rem. Its the run of the mill BiMart bargain basement spire point.

I've hunted deer for 55 years with .22-250 to .50cal muzzle loader even .348 Win as a kid with dad. And I'm not sure I would even go cow Elk hunting with a .243Win or 6mmRem
In fact I am building a .35 Whelan as an Elk Black Bear rifle.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top