JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm looking at getting a bolt action rifle for hunting, mostly whitetail/deer or occasional elk. I'm thinking 6.5 creedmoor or .270 but leaning more to 6.5.

After reading around the web im considering the b14 ridge w/ the heavier barrel over the b14 hunter in case I want to plink with it too. The ridge comes in at about $850 which is about as much as im trying to spend currently.

I guess my question is the bergara really gonna out perform say the howa, cva weatherby or savage models at lower price points? Would an amateur really see a difference in performance until I get a little more experience? Living in Illinois I didn't get many opportunities to shoot rifles above a .22 lr.

The Tikka lite is nice but barrel is not threaded and the Tikka tx3 w/ threaded barrel is $1000 or more. Would it be worth springing the extra dough for the tx3?

Not really looking to building a rifle at the moment either. Thoughts or advice for me to consider.

Tikka T3 or T3X

Look at the roughtech model. It's around 1K new and less than that used. It comes factory with a threaded barrel.

Last Edited:
Tikka… T3x CTR

They will run you about $1,100 - $1,200 (not counting a scope). Maybe @LuckySG can get you the hookup for a bit less, but prices (on everything) these days is volatile.

IMG_1285.jpeg IMG_1341.jpeg

Whatever you get, get the .270. Ammo will be easier to find and it will be a better round for elk. Learn to hunt, not snipe. Shooting an animal and making a quick and clean kill is far harder than poking holes in paper or banging steel at 1000 yards.

You can go to backfire.tv for some reviews on guns at each price point. He does a good job remaining in biased, and also has YouTube videos talking about pros and cons of each.
https://backfire.tv/best-hunting-rifle/

The B14 Ridge was his reco in that price point too, along with the Tikka. He also noted the travesty that the Tikka lite was unthreaded.

He also rated the CVA highly in the lower price points. Check his vids out!

You can go to backfire.tv for some reviews on guns at each price point. He does a good job remaining in biased, and also has YouTube videos talking about pros and cons of each.
https://backfire.tv/best-hunting-rifle/

The B14 Ridge was his reco in that price point too, along with the Tikka. He also noted the travesty that the Tikka lite was unthreaded.

He also rated the CVA highly in the lower price points. Check his vids out!
Thanks I'll check them out.

I 100% recommend the B14. They are REALLY good rifles, accuracy out of the box will stand up to any other brand. I had one in 6.5CM and it made me look good on the bench.

I've owned two Tikka's as well. They have a cult following around here and they are damn fine rifles but the Bergara is just as good IMHO.

I 100% recommend the B14. They are REALLY good rifles, accuracy out of the box will stand up to any other brand. I had one in 6.5CM and it made me look good on the bench.

I've owned two Tikka's as well. They have a cult following around here and they are damn fine rifles but the Bergara is just as good IMHO.

We're not a cult, dammit! :s0118:

Tikka Tikka Tikka! :s0139:

:s0112:

Tikka, Bergara, Sako, Sabatti and a few other European brands are really hard to beat.

American, Savage, Browning, pre-stupidity Remingtons, Christiansen Arms.

Ruger Americans used to be really nice for the money, but I think they have been having old tooling issues with the recent examples.

Tikka, Bergara, Sako, Sabatti and a few other European brands are really hard to beat.

American, Savage, Browning, pre-stupidity Remingtons, Christiansen Arms.

Ruger Americans used to be really nice for the money, but I think they have been having old tooling issues with the recent examples.
My experiences with Ruger Americans hasn't been great. Accuracy has been less than stellar from the few examples I've spent time with.

For your consideration:

Phenomenal gun. Wouldn't consider moving it had I not picked up a Fierce.

My experiences with Ruger Americans hasn't been great. Accuracy has been less than stellar from the few examples I've spent time with.
I've owned 4 center fire Americans. The 1st 3 were early examples. The fourth being within the last year. The 4th wasn't the same at all. I've read a lot of similar lately, that the quality has dipped. My very first one was a very early example 30-06 and that thing took Remington Cor-Lokt and made it 1moa ammo. Took my one and only Bushalope with that rifle.