JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi guys,
I'm just trying to get a rough value on a 1950 very nice condition Winchester model 70 30-06. Was dads, but I shoot a Seko from my grandpa so unsure if I'm going to keep or not. I've heard of the pre 64s being exceptional rifles. And will admit it has very nice action. Anyways. Trying to get a semi decent idea of value on it, and the auction sites are kinda all over on it. He also had a rem 700 7mm from the 60s in very nice condition, but again I like my Seko for both deer and elk. If anyone has an idea can PM me or post here. I like them both, sentimental value is there but I don't need lots of big game rifles either. Anyways any comments on how good o bad they are is also much appreciated, id like to learn more

:s0122:

It depends on the condition and local market; pictures are necessary. Look at sale prices on GB, don't use the open auctions as a price. GB typically falls 30% higher than local values.

The older rifles are great guns, there is some debate if the pre64 70s are better than the new FNs. Unfortunately, most new shooters are going after black plastic rifles, so the older wood guns aren't valued as high.

Depending on the condition and local market, you'll be in the $600-$1500 range for a special edition. In the end, your items are only worth as much as someone is willing to pay. Realistically, you could probably sell it $800-$1200 for a nice rifle.

Last Edited:
I've bought 2 Winchester Model 70's in the last year or two. Both Pre-64. One a bit of a beater for $600 (probably paid a bit too much) and one very nice, but modified for $500, which I felt was more than fair. I had a very nice early 50's 70 that I sold for about a grand 5-6 years ago.
Condition, rarity, location and advertising outlet are the biggest variables in the amount of money these guns are "worth".

I look up gun values and recent sale prices on this site.

Here is what I found.

.30-06 70 Featherweight Winchester Model 30-06 Pre 64 1956 Excellent C&R .01 NR 22 inch " barrel

value-r-751446.jpg

PRICE: $1,275.00 MANUFACTURER: Winchester
CONDITION: Used MODEL: 70 Featherweight
SOLD: 4 days ago UPC:
CALIBER: .30-06 MANF. PART #:
CAPACITY: BARREL LENGTH: 22 inch

I look up gun values and recent sale prices on this site.

Here is what I found.

.30-06 70 Featherweight Winchester Model 30-06 Pre 64 1956 Excellent C&R .01 NR 22 inch " barrel

View attachment 1102646

PRICE: $1,275.00 MANUFACTURER: Winchester
CONDITION: Used MODEL: 70 Featherweight
SOLD: 4 days ago UPC:
CALIBER: .30-06 MANF. PART #:
CAPACITY: BARREL LENGTH: 22 inch
Out of my own morbid curiosity, what is the sales medium on this?

Since we can't see it. You could try.....going down to your favorite Pawn Shop or Cabela's. Then, ask them what they'd pay you for it.

Mind you that, you don't have to sell it to either of them.

Aloha, Mark

Impossible to say without some good photos, but the 30-06 is by leaps and bounds the most common pre-64 model 70 made, so it's going to be on the low end of M70 pricing. Like everything collectable, condition, completeness, and presentation will dictate what you can get out of it.

My favorite rifles and I'd never let my dad's go for any price.

Check gunbroker for sold prices.

Out of my own morbid curiosity, what is the sales medium on this?

What is a WINCHESTER MODEL 70 PRE 64 Rifle Worth?

A WINCHESTER MODEL 70 PRE 64 rifle is currently worth an average price of $1,576.43 used . The 12 month average price is $1,526.48 used.

The used value of a WINCHESTER MODEL 70 PRE 64 rifle has risen $115.22 dollars over the past 12 months to a price of $1,576.43 .

The demand of new WINCHESTER MODEL 70 PRE 64 rifle's has fallen 3 units over the past 12 months. The demand of used WINCHESTER MODEL 70 PRE 64 rifle's has risen 9 units over the past 12 months.

Estimated Value

*Using 80% condition for calculating used Values.
*Caliber, Barrel Length, Generations, Sub Models may all affect item price. Make sure your search is specific enough to get the correct value.

What is a WINCHESTER MODEL 70 PRE 64 Rifle Worth?

A WINCHESTER MODEL 70 PRE 64 rifle is currently worth an average price of $1,576.43 used . The 12 month average price is $1,526.48 used.

The used value of a WINCHESTER MODEL 70 PRE 64 rifle has risen $115.22 dollars over the past 12 months to a price of $1,576.43 .

The demand of new WINCHESTER MODEL 70 PRE 64 rifle's has fallen 3 units over the past 12 months. The demand of used WINCHESTER MODEL 70 PRE 64 rifle's has risen 9 units over the past 12 months.

Estimated Value

*Using 80% condition for calculating used Values.
*Caliber, Barrel Length, Generations, Sub Models may all affect item price. Make sure your search is specific enough to get the correct value.
So GB?

True Gun Values. Click on the link I provided.

Select "Rifle" category. Type in "Winchester Pre 64 Model 70" and scroll through the findings.

Probably internet sales.
I use it as ballpark pricing, not as a definitive look no further price.
GunBroker is another place to try and get a heads up.

Here's the Remm8ngton 700 7mm mag, I read the barrel letters it appears to be 1962. I also have the original wood stock for it, not pictured. Any comments on if this is a good solid gun? Never used Rem big game riifles, just shottys

20220106_194528.jpg 20220106_194420.jpg

That 70's value will be affected by the shortened butt and added recoil pad. Also, while a very nice rifle, it shows wear and tear to the bluing and is missing the rear sight and front sight hood. If the stock's been modified for the bipod, deduct a little more. If that is actually a Winchester buttpad and I'm wrong and it's not modified, add some back.
All of that said, minus the scope I'd still say it's somewhere between $800-1000. I had a very hard time getting $900 for a gorgeous Featherweight with vintage tip offs and a good scope. I've been watching Model 70's on here for a decade and honestly, I don't think this is the place to get maximum dollar for that rifle. An auction site is probably better, but that's another story.

A few years ago, I sold a Pre 64 Model 70 Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. It had a Bauch & Lomb BALTUR 2x scope in Stith mounts. The only thing missing from the rifle was the front sight hood (which I couldn't find at the time), the rear sight (because of the scope mounts), and a bit of bluing at the muzzle about half the size of my little fingernail.

I had it appraised at the Cabela's in Lacey, WA.

I sold it in a private sale for a couple of hundred dollars more than the appraisal.

It sold for $1500.00 and the buyer was very happy to get it at that price.

On the Remington 7mm, look at the inscription on the barrel, left side, does it mention "stainless steel"? Those guns with the stainless barrels are real shooters.

As a Model 700 7mm from the 60's (let's assume stainless barrel), used but not abused, and both stocks, $500-700. (Without the gun in hand, hard to narrow that down.) The original stock is important to have. Scopes (unless top-of-the-line) add little value.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top