JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I had sort of the reverse of your situation. I had accidentally let my CPL lapse so I went down to reapply and was denied due to my juvenile record. I've had this license for over 20 years and had actually let it lapse once before and re-applied no problem. But suddenly that one stupid thing I did when I was 13 makes it a no-go. Back in the day, when I had turned 18, I got a packet from the courthouse on how to expunge your juvenile record and the first step was obtain a copy of your record. Which I attempted but they said I had no record, so it was definitely sealed.

Now, as I heard earlier this year that State Patrol was going to start accessing juvenile records for NICS background checks. After my CPL debacle I was too scared to even attempt it, and looks like you've just answered my fear.

I wonder if ol' Mr. William Kirk will take my case on?
Sadly at this point all you can do is pay a lawyer to get it fixed for you. I know I feel MUCH safer of course that they turned you down now as hordes of scum run around with guns and the DA's here could give a 💩 less 🤬

so OP's case was treated as an adult case?

if case was sealed/expunged before adult, this wouldn't happened?
Originally he said it was a juvenile case. Those records are sealed against public inquiry. But officials can look back on them.

I'm just now reading OP's post #40 where he says:

Yep turns out my record was sealed and expunged at 18 and then 23, but I had to restore my firearm rights before then (which I wasn't told) so now I'm in the process of that!
Supposedly, expunged records no longer exist so they can't be looked into. If his records have been expunged, I don't know why he wouldn't pass a BGC now.
Unless restoration of firearm rights is another additional step, which the OP seems to be saying in the quote above. However, if the expunged record no longer exists, how would they know his firearms rights need restoration?

And there is the deal where he's had a CPL for a year and a half, which is gotten after a WSP background check, so how did he pass that yet got denied on the transfer? This is giving me a headache.

One thing I do know from other's experience, records of conviction that get lodged in the NICS database can get stuck there in spite of later state expungements. And maybe this is the answer as to why he got denied the transfer.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews