JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have run several hundred rounds of 2-3/4" high-base (00 and slugs) and low-base rounds (cheap trap and dove loads) through my 930 and have never had a single malfunction.
Thanks, looks like I might give Mossberg a call and see if there's an issue with the gun or if I'm missing something.

Kgood luck my friend, can't wait to hear of the range report. I have yet to take my down for a cleaning, but was planning on doing so at 1000 rounds.. I'll let you know what I find when I do and we can swap notes?

Ps. I added this choke/brake to mine and love it..mostly for the looks 🤩

@Illuminaughty -- Wow! The Carlson tactical breecher muzzle brake definitely looks sexy.
I wouldn't mind the fact it lengthens the barrel by projecting 2.75 inches beyond end of barrel since I'm not planning to use my 940 indoors. If it actually does cut recoil substantially that might matter more than the extra length on the barrel. And they say its okay with every size of shot as well, and slugs, and steel shot.

Does yours actually cut recoil significantly? And does it blast debris and more noise back in your face? (I found out the expensive way that I don't like porting on my .44mag revolvers. I hate the extra noise way more than I like the lesser recoil.)

The other variant on the breecher is extra full choke. They say no slugs but any size lead shot. But only certain steel loads, those below a specified size and velocity. They say excellent choice for hunters using larger shot sizes to take coyote, hogs, and deer. That's interesting too.

I wonder if a full or an extra full choke would be compatible with the Flight Control Wad in some Fed loads. My understanding is the wad stays with the shot after they leave the barrel and a few feet later gently releases the pellets. If a tight choke instead rips the wad off and smashes the established arrangement of pellets, it might actually create a wider and more erratic group than if you just skipped the choke. Anyone have any experience with the compatibility of Flight Control Wad technology and chokes?

Anybody have any idea on how you would actually open a door or lock of some sort with a breecher? Anyone ever done it? :p

Last Edited:
Friends --
Thanks to all here who responded to my query for their experience with the Mossberg 940 PRO. I waited until the tactical version with mounted Holosun Red Dot became available at stores on Gunbroker. Cost was $1,039. No credit card fee. $39.99 for shipping.

Picked up gun at local FFL Tick Lickers Firearms--Corvallis just this afternoon.

WOW!!! Trigger pull is way better than what I was expecting on an under $1000 shotgun (not counting the Holosun sight). Its a 2-stage trigger. About 2 mm of takeup. Then a completely crisp release. About 4 lbs I would guestimate. The Holosun sight is glorious. Boy is it gonna make a difference to my 78-year old eyes. Very glad I got the version with the installed Holosun. I was surprised by how heavy the gun was and the muzzle forward balance. But so much the better for absorbing recoil. LOP was just a slight bit long for me, which is fine since gun came with the three LOP adjustment shims in front of the butt pad installed. So its clear that I will be able to get a perfect LOP fit. There are shims to adjust DROP too. I'll need to play with them and figure out what works best for me.

Thanks everyone!
:s0132: :s0132::s0132:

Last Edited:
Congrats……it's a great gun
I've had the JM model for a few years and it's been very reliable. Use some good shells for break in
Any suggestions about what to use or to avoid during breaking-in period? I'm primarily interested in #4 buck and secondarily in 00.

Where do you buy your ammo?

Last Edited:
Any suggestions about what to use or to avoid during breaking-in period? I'm primarily interested in #4 buck and secondarily in 00.

That will be fine……just avoid the lower FPS loads like the cheap target loads. A few hundred at the most should do it.

I would clean and lube before shooting. Often the lube/preservative oil can get sticky.

The ONLY thing I don't like about the 940 pro tac is re installing that slinky spring when re assembling. Haven't figured out whether the technique is just beyond me or maybe it's fat finger syndrome. They should be able to come up with a more manageable spring. Get it wrong and feeding issues MAY arise.
Many operational differences compared to the 590 pump. Take time to learn the gun.

When unloading the gun this thing will do a 7 round mag dump in less than a second....then you spend a minute or two finding where the shells have been scattered across the room, under the sofa or ?.......I consider it my stretching exercise for the day.

As far a rate of fire you can send all 8 in 3 seconds or so.

Leaning towards the Holosun EPS red dot.
Working on it today as a matter of fact....

Enjoy..

Last Edited:
trueshotammo.com/ammunition/shotgun-ammo/12-gauge/sar-usa/sar-usa-12-gauge-4-buck-shot-2-75-27-oz/?attribute_pa_quantity=200

1325-1350 fps.

Never used this ammo but it is available at $.46/round + $20 shipping to Oregon..$.56/round.
2 cases (400 rounds) drops the delivered price to $.536/round.

globalordnance.com/12-gauge-2-3-4-4-buckshot-27-pellets-case-of-250-rounds-upc-754908537938/?sku=754908537938&avad=74383_e371f256d&utm_source=Avantlink&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=AmmoSeek.com&utm_content=Custom+Link

1150 FPS

$.639 per round delivered to Oregon.

Velocity Ammo has been good for bulk 12 gauge but they are sold out of #4.

Last Edited:

When I bought a new shotty bit ago I just went to SG for more ammo. Probably find it at local Bi-Marts for the same deal and maybe better. I just use SG because its easy to just have them drop the stuff at my door and price seems to always be good enough to keep me from driving around looking for better.

Which Holosun did it come with? I've got a couple of the 403C-GR's and love 'em. Green dots and a 'shake awake' feature.
Mine is a red dot. No shake and wake. Green dots start out more expensive because the technology used to produce that color is more demanding. That's before you get really fancy with shake and wake.

You looking for 2 3/4 #4 buck?
Given my druthers, 2 3/4" #4 buck to start with and learn on. But I also would like to get some of that Fed Premium 3" you suggested. Gun will take both. As I recall that's more pellets but still only at about 1100 fps. And copper coated and buffered. That's what I'm thinking to load with for real.

By the way, I had a chance to catch up on our neighborhood cougar. A neighbor was out walking at 5 am this morning and saw two adult females and two cubs walking as if a family group. Presumably on the way back to wherever they hide during the day. They are still generally careful to hide out during daylight. They don't bother anyone. Nobody does anything stupid like feeding them. Nobody leaves small or elderly dogs or livestock outdoors at night. Everyone feels quite mellow about our cougars. Deer overpopulation has ceased though there are still plenty. This is a neighborhood of a hundred or more homes, mostly on about 15 acres each, all partly wooded, neighborhood contiguous with MacDonald Forest. Every household has guns. That probably matters, because nobody feels helpless . We could and would eliminate cougars if we needed to. But we dont. We appreciate their discretion and their ecological services .Nobody reports our cougars to the Macdonald Forest officials or any authorities who put up signs asking about cougar sightings. BC--before cougars, the place was so overrun with deer nobody could garden. And no little dogs outdoors yapping at night is nice too. Things are way better now. Cougars? What cougars? That's our story and we're sticking to it.

Last Edited:
When I bought a new shotty bit ago I just went to SG for more ammo. Probably find it at local Bi-Marts for the same deal and maybe better. I just use SG because its easy to just have them drop the stuff at my door and price seems to always be good enough to keep me from driving around looking for better.
What is SG?

Given my druthers, 2 3/4" #4 buck to start with and learn on. But I also would like to get some of that Fed Premium 3" you suggested. Gun will take both. As I recall that's more pellets but still only at about 1100 fps. And copper coated and buffered. That's what I'm thinking to load with for real.

By the way, I had a chance to catch up on our neighborhood cougar. A neighbor was out walking at 5 am this morning and saw two adult females and two cubs walking as if a family group. Presumably on the way back to wherever they hide during the day. They are still generally careful to hide out during daylight. They don't bother anyone. Nobody does anything stupid like feeding them. Nobody leaves small or elderly dogs or livestock outdoors at night. Everyone feels quite mellow about our cougars. Deer overpopulation has ceased though there are still plenty. This is a neighborhood of a hundred or more homes, mostly on about 15 acres each, all partly wooded, neighborhood contiguous with MacDonald Forest. Every household has guns. That probably matters, because nobody feels helpless . We could and would eliminate cougars if we needed to. But we dont. We appreciate their discretion and their ecological services .Nobody reports our cougars to the Macdonald Forest officials or any authorities who put up signs asking about cougar sightings. BC--before cougars, the place was so overrun with deer nobody could garden. And no little dogs outdoors yapping at night is nice too. Things are way better now. Cougars? What cougars? That's our story and we're sticking to it.
Good rule of thumb.....they don't bother you, you don't bother them. Be aware the 3 inch #4 buck is not easy on the shoulder!

trueshotammo.com/ammunition/shotgun-ammo/12-gauge/sar-usa/sar-usa-12-gauge-4-buck-shot-2-75-27-oz/?attribute_pa_quantity=200

1325-1350 fps.

Never used this ammo but it is available at $.46/round + $20 shipping to Oregon..$.56/round.
2 cases (400 rounds) drops the delivered price to $.536/round.

globalordnance.com/12-gauge-2-3-4-4-buckshot-27-pellets-case-of-250-rounds-upc-754908537938/?sku=754908537938&avad=74383_e371f256d&utm_source=Avantlink&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=AmmoSeek.com&utm_content=Custom+Link

1150 FPS

$.639 per round delivered to Oregon.

Velocity Ammo has been good for bulk 12 gauge but they are sold out of #4.
Thanks @Barefootdog . Your email is quite cheering. I've never fired a shotgun. So something inexpensive to learn on would be ideal. But in #4 buck I was only finding stuff at $2 each or more before shipping. The gun store where I picked up my shotgun didn't having any #4 at all. I'd really prefer #4 buck rather than 00 for use in my neighborhood.

Have you bought from all of the vendors you mention?

Have you any experience with the ammo in theglobalordnance.com.listing?

Does any one else have experience with trueshotammo.com, globalordinance.com, or Velocity Ammo? Or with either of the two specific brands mentioned?

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews