JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
hey there
Just getting started in the long range thing for my 6.5. I don't have access to my reloading stuff, so I need to pay to play. Anyone have some good recommendations for decent match ammo at an affordable price? Will be shooting my Bergara BMP up to 600 yards

Thanks

I can tell you not to use Agila about 1/2 the box were duds and the others would barely shoot pie plate groups at 100 yards . You probably have to experiment a little I have one Browning that will shoot anything and the other one prefers 130gr + both are X bolts .

For factory, I would also vote for Hornady ELD-X. I would also consider Underwood 140 grain. Not match ammo but a decent price and reliable. I didn't notice much difference but wasn't shooting beyond 300 yards. Finally, and not Berger, but I use Federal Terminal Ascent 130 grain for my hunting ammo (no longer reload) and have found it pretty darn perfect.

hey there
Just getting started in the long range thing for my 6.5. I don't have access to my reloading stuff, so I need to pay to play. Anyone have some good recommendations for decent match ammo at an affordable price? Will be shooting my Bergara BMP up to 600 yards

Thanks

And you can buy direct from Federal.
Looks like they have quite a bit of 6.5CM in stock.
Couldn't link the 6.5CM page....you'll have to toggle it in.

I shoot 6.5CM in both mid-range (300-600yd) and long-range (800-1000yd).

* For just target shooting you'll want the ELD-M. The ELD-X series are fine bullets but they're designed to expand so they can be used for hunting.
* Creedmoor Sports has a number of choices in loaded ammo. Might be pricy. Looks like the 140 gr Berger is in stock.
* Double check your twist rate before buying anything. I believe 1:8 is standard for 6.5CM which will handle up to 140 gr. Mine is 1:8 and handles the 144 Berger Hybrid. If you're thinking of getting into heavy stuff (greater than 144 gr) really check you have enough twist first.
* Speaking of heavy stuff, it's not necessary at the distance you mentioned. My 600 yd load is the Hornady 130 ELDM with Reloader 15. I reserve 140/144 grain bullets for long-range (1000 yd).
* Nosler makes nice 6.5 CM brass for reloading. Lapua would be the other top-shelf choice for brass. I do use Hornady and Sig brass but only at 600 yd or shorter.
* For target shooting bullet brand choices are Berger, Hornady, Sierra. Not in any order.
* For hunting brand choices are Nosler, Hornady, Sierra. Not in any order.
* Avoid Nosler for competition. As the say regarding Nosler "There's a 9 in every box".

I shoot 6.5CM in both mid-range (300-600yd) and long-range (800-1000yd).

* For just target shooting you'll want the ELD-M. The ELD-X series are fine bullets but they're designed to expand so they can be used for hunting.
* Creedmoor Sports has a number of choices in loaded ammo. Might be pricy. Looks like the 140 gr Berger is in stock.
* Double check your twist rate before buying anything. I believe 1:8 is standard for 6.5CM which will handle up to 140 gr. Mine is 1:8 and handles the 144 Berger Hybrid. If you're thinking of getting into heavy stuff (greater than 144 gr) really check you have enough twist first.
* Speaking of heavy stuff, it's not necessary at the distance you mentioned. My 600 yd load is the Hornady 130 ELDM with Reloader 15. I reserve 140/144 grain bullets for long-range (1000 yd).
* Nosler makes nice 6.5 CM brass for reloading. Lapua would be the other top-shelf choice for brass. I do use Hornady and Sig brass but only at 600 yd or shorter.
* For target shooting bullet brand choices are Berger, Hornady, Sierra. Not in any order.
* For hunting brand choices are Nosler, Hornady, Sierra. Not in any order.
* Avoid Nosler for competition. As the say regarding Nosler "There's a 9 in every box".
I agree with YippeeKiYoRed and would recommend Hornady ELD-M/X, Norma Golden Target or Berger as your best choices for factory loaded ammunition.

This is a great deal. With SDs that low, it will work just fine for 600 yards.

I reload all my ammo but if I had seen this a couple of days ago when I was on that side of the state, I would have picked up a case. Pay almost that much for empty brass.

For factory hornady like everyone else said is solid, I have shot the Nosler 120gr ballistic and 129 gr accubond with solid results. But I'm really surprised no one has mentioned prime : not 6.5 creed but can check them out.

For 600 yds and in the Hornady Black or American Gunner 140gr BTHP is really hard to beat for the price. I can't shoot the difference between it and factory match 140/143/147 ELD-M/X until 800-1k yds.

hey there

Thanks
I started competitive shooting here in the Tri-Cities (Richland) about 10 yrs. ago. Messed around with a Ruger Precision Rifle in .308 cal. Eventually learned it maxed out at about 830 Yds. So I bought a replacement barrel from Snipe Arms in Kentucky, in 6.5 Creedmoor caliber.

If you are just starting out... do nothing until you read the "Secrets of the Houston Warehouse". It is on-line just Google it. It did more for me than anything else did when it came to reloading for accuracy. Starting with barrel length of my Creedmoor barrel. It is between 1/4 and 1/2 MOA. Perhaps even better if our range didn't have such lightweight (wobbly) shooting tables.

Just to get started I'm going to send you all my notes that I took when developing a match cartridge. I have been using it for as long as I can remember. Never change a thing. The downside to it is that I use CCI BR-4 bench rest primers, Lapua small primer match cartridges, Nosler RDF match 140 gr. bullets and H4350 powder. I got spooked back when all of this stuff became hard to find so I stocked up, big time. Haven't seen any of this stuff for sale, in ages. But it would be a starting point.

This tome should, if nothing else, relieve you of shooting lots of ladder loads to figure out what YOUR rifle likes. These rifles are way more picky about ammo than I ever expected, but once you get it dialed it works remarkably well. I probably shot at least 500 development loads. Tweaking these cartridges for consistency. I also got a lot of good advice on line from other shooters that no doubt saved me a lot of time and effort, but I still had to verify what they were telling me was actually true. As far as I'm concerned, reloading is as much an art as it is a science and there is zero assurance that what I shoot in my rifle will give you the results that I get, but it will get you in the ball park with less work than I put in.

So, read my notes... glean what you can from them and my other reference to the Houston Warehouse. It will get you started on your journey.

I'll post the remaining pics in a follow up post...

IMG_3636.JPG IMG_3637.JPG IMG_3638.JPG IMG_3639.JPG IMG_3640.JPG

More pics...

One more thing. With the .020" jump gap the cartridges are too long to fit in a magazine. So I have to load one at a time when shooting. To do this you need a "Lead Sled" to fill the space occupied by a typical magazine. This lets you to just drop the cartridge in without it falling through the magazine "hole".

IMG_3641.JPG IMG_3642.JPG IMG_3643.JPG IMG_3644.JPG Ruger Precision Rifle 6.5 Creedmoor Version with Snipe Arms Barrel.jpg

More pics...

One more thing. With the .020" jump gap the cartridges are too long to fit in a magazine. So I have to load one at a time when shooting. To do this you need a "Lead Sled" to fill the space occupied by a typical magazine. This lets you to just drop the cartridge in without it falling through the magazine "hole".

View attachment 1379165 View attachment 1379166 View attachment 1379167 View attachment 1379168 View attachment 1379174

Have you tried the Larue Mags? They allow for a longer COAL. I had the same issue, with 308 win.

Pic is direct comparison of pmag, and larue mag. P mag can only feed one at a time, Larue mag can load like normal. Should work for 6.5 as well but would have to verify. Other pic is just showing mags can feed both 6.5 and 308. They are pricey but impo no other mag beats it for the price.

07BB8339-5F56-4E1D-A2AE-AA9EA2C239EE.jpeg A5928BD0-9E23-4B66-8593-12CDD6B78CE6.jpeg BB58B016-E09C-49F4-9C14-A01A25F0F1B0.jpeg

Have you tried the Larue Mags? They allow for a longer COAL. I had the same issue, with 308 win.

Pic is direct comparison of pmag, and larue mag. P mag can only feed one at a time, Larue mag can load like normal. Should work for 6.5 as well but would have to verify. Other pic is just showing mags can feed both 6.5 and 308. They are pricey but impo no other mag beats it for the price.

View attachment 1379205 View attachment 1379206 View attachment 1379207
The pick of the mag in the package looks like a standard Duramag. Does Larue start with a basic Duramag and add their follower and base plate?

No I haven't but I have a filing cabinet drawer full of MagPull that I don't use. I actually prefer no magazine for comp shooting. Nice to know though.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top