JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I shoot .45-70 hand loads in a replica Remington rolling block rifle. I cast my own bullets. I've developed several loads using pistol or rifle powder or black powder. Accuracy is fair, averaging 4 inch groups at 100 yards. Anyone else doing this?

I do, some. I've owned three .45-70's in my life.

1. New England Firearms SB2 single shot.

2. Marlin 1895

3. Henry Single Shot (steel). Which is the one I have at present. Which fired to point of aim right out of the box. Very nice little gun, well made, nice finish, very nice wooden furniture. Nicer gun that the NEF single shot.

I used to cast bullets for .45-70, I bought a special mold that was a group order. It used GC bullets. When I sold No. 1 and 2., above, I also let go of my casting equipment.

However, when I shoot .45-70, even mild loads, I'm not up for all that many shots at one go. When I bought the Henry a couple of years ago, I determined that I wasn't going to get back into casting again. And at the time, .45-70 bullets were a bit scarce. So I bought some 350 gr. Berry plated RN, which I used with success on the new Henry. Since then, I've bought a couple of different cast bullets in heavier weight that I haven't tried yet. Brass is still scarce; I think I have about 40 cases. But then again, I don't shoot many on any occasion, so 40 ought to be more than enough. I have some more on my Midway "notify me" list.

No 1, the NEF SB2 single shot, had iron sights, I could hit the black of an SR1 target at 100 yards, no problem. That's pretty good shooting for me. I kept the receiver, sold the bbl., and mounted a .223 bbl. on the receiver which I still have.

No. 2, the Marlin Model 1895, that was a semi pistol grip model with round bbl., made by Marlin circa early 2000's. I put a rear aperture sight on it, sighted it in, then never used it again.

My favorite powder for .45-70 hand loads has been IMR 4198. H-322 is a good one too. I'm also going to try Accurate 2015 when I get a chance.

Last Edited:
I shoot a 45-70 high wall replica. I don't have the equipment for casting yet but am very interested in it. I have had good success using coated caste 405gr.

Load some powder puff rounds using "The Load" of red dot(13gr). Have a chrono on the way, according to data should be getting 1200FPS. It has been an accurate round out to 100 yards with that charge.

For jacketed 405gr soft points, I've had really good success with IMR4895. I've tried h335, h4895, IMR4198, Acura5744, IMR3031 with various results. The IMR 4895 produced the best with jacketed loads. Book says they should be between 15-1600FPs. Can't wait for that chrono so I can verify.

I have been shooting a 45/70 for about 45 years or so, started with a Ruger #1 that I loved the look and feel of but it kicked very hard with my hand loads, got a Marlin sbl and then a custom T/C encore.
Today I still have the encore rifle and have never shot a factory round ever and load 300 gr to 540 gr bullets, my favorite for hunting is the 300 gr Barnes.

I shoot a Pedersoli Lever 86/71 -- thankfully one without the picatinny they put on now.
When I bought it, I didn't have a mould for 458 bullets, and bought a box of 405gr hard cast. I shoot those using VV N120. I now have a 350gr mould.
I never bothered checking the MOA accuracy of it, since it's just buckhorns. But, it does knock down the steel targets at the TCGC black powder range 100 yard berm.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews