JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Sounds cool on the classifieds. Probably never get the chance to activate the laser in a self defense situation. The laser might be cool for range practice though it's probably wobbling all over the place.

I don't see the benefit but I'm guessing there is a practical piece to it. Just curious everyone's thought. Would like to be educated if I'm missing something.

I've heard lasers add +5 intimidation.
But you are spot on, I'm curious if there are any YouTube videos timing a CC deployment and activation with a laser versus a light versus bare bones.

I'd assume it's more for longer shots or bad eyes, not high stress.

Sounds cool on the classifieds. Probably never get the chance to activate the laser in a self defense situation. The laser might be cool for range practice though it's probably wobbling all over the place.

I don't see the benefit but I'm guessing there is a practical piece to it. Just curious everyone's thought. Would like to be educated if I'm missing something.
These have LONG been something that are certainly not for everyone. When I was young and eye's worked far better I was not really interested in one. As I got older and eyes got older I did. When they perfected the "pocket pistol" then I really started to become a fan of these. With the mouse guns I can't hit what I shoot at well unless the target is pretty damn close to me. Now many of my mouse guns wear a laser. They come on as soon as I grab the pistol so its there when I bring it up. No longer have to try to find the front sight as where the dot is the bullet goes. MANY shooters do not want them which is great to me. I as far as I know do not own a piece of the companies that make the ones I buy. I do now also keep one on my "go to" house guns. Those wear a laser that is also a light which I can choose to have either or both on at the same time. Again not for everyone but I was long ago sold on them.

Seems like if you ended up in a less than ideal shooting position, like lying on your back in a scuffle or something, that being able to put that dot on your target without having to "aim" the gun would be useful.

During the time of major ammo scarcity I also recommended a friend who was getting their first home defense gun consider it because they probably weren't going to have an adequate amount of training ammo and it seemed like the sort of aid that could be useful if they ever needed to use their gun and weren't well practiced with it.

I don't have one on anything.

I have them on my HD guns cuz they work better for me than night sights. My HD AR and Moss 500 both have reflex optics but the laser/light combo is quicker to activate with one finger.

Have always believed them to be a crutch for newbies when used on a carry gun. Don't have them on my carry guns.

I think some turn on and off with a switch only. The Crimson Trace lasers have a sliding safety and use a dead man switch that goes on when held in the firing grip and off when relaxed. You put the laser on what you want to hit and touch it off. No holster mods needed most of the time as the laser is in the grip, not bolted under the barrel.

Depending on the situation, a laser could be an 'intimidation factor'. Not only does the Bad Guy know you have a weapon - he also knows that you're aiming straight at his…. whatever.

It allows even an inexperienced person to 'point-shoot'. Same for an older person who might have trouble holding a gun steady for aiming, or for someone who can't see the sights on their gun very well.

In those cases, being able to put the dot where the bullet should go and squeezing the trigger can be a much faster and instinctive way to hit a target.

The lasers that come on as soon as the gun is picked up are best, in my opinion. No fiddling around trying to push an activation button during a stressful moment - just put the dot on target and fire.

Another advantage to having a laser is that a person's eyes are on the target, instead of on the gun.

I'm not saying a person shouldn't know how to use iron sights. But for a lot of us, a laser is much faster and allows us to hit a target more easily - even from a compromised position.

A laser is helpful for dryfire practice, too. It's surprisingly difficult to hold a pistol steady while pulling the trigger, and a laser dot lets you see what kind of movement or flinching you might be doing.

A coin balanced on top of the barrel, plus a laser dot on the wall, is a good way to practice pulling the trigger without getting off-target.

IMG_0639.jpeg

A potential drawback to having a laser or a laser/light combination on your firearm is that your position can be given away, if you're searching room-to-room in your house after hearing a bump in the night.

Last Edited:
I much prefer the green lasers for visibility. It's one of those things that, can't hurt and would probably help in some scenarios.

I don't have them but have used them. If you can't see what you are shooting you probably shouldn't. If you can see, why do you need a laser?

Nobody needs anything more than a pump shotgun. The sound of racking a shell will scare off all but the most baddestazz perps.

That's how much intimidation I think of with lasers. :D

Seems like if you ended up in a less than ideal shooting position, like lying on your back in a scuffle or something, that being able to put that dot on your target without having to "aim" the gun would be useful.
at that range you wont be thinking of aiming a laser, point shooting solved this issue decades ago.

I much prefer the green lasers for visibility. It's one of those things that, can't hurt and would probably help in some scenarios.

I don't have them but have used them. If you can't see what you are shooting you probably shouldn't. If you can see, why do you need a laser?
Because VERY few people can actually shoot anything like they say they can. I have in my life known a couple REALLY good shots. Its a rare gift that you either have or you don't. I have lost track of the number of people who said they were crack shots and made fun of optics or even sights saying they were a waste, who when I got to the range with them could not hit paper. This is paper that is not shooting back or charging them. When you are dealing with full size pistols most can learn to shoot fairly well, fairly easy. Get into the more compact pistols and things change VERY fast. Smaller the pistol the faster it changes. An amazing number of people told to fire fast at 30FT can not even hit the paper. When I have shot with someone like this I could, if they would listen, get them FAR better in a matter of hours. That was if they were able to get over the fact that shooting for defense was not like on TV. Some of course the ego would prevent them from being helped. :s0092:

the only thing I can think of is for someone with aging/poor eyesight. Otherwise I think they are a gimmik... the problem is they radically change ones training muscle memory away from every other pistol out there without a laser. Focus on the front sight, to focusing only on the target. Finding the dot is another factor too, especially under stress.
As far as aging eyes, I would think an RMR solves that issue.

I dont even think the swat teams use them anymore?

My wife's 43X wears a Lasermax Gripsense light/green laser combo. The laser and light are activated by a sensor when you grip the handgun normally. No switch involved. If you can put the laser on the target, you can hit the target. +1 on adding an intimidation factor.

Lasers are tacti-cool garbage and only make sense when IR and used with nods. A quality pistol red dot and WML are infinitely more usable.

They're great cat toys, though...
That may very well be one of the first things I've ever agreed with you about.

If you can't see your sights?
The dot/sight is on the target, not the gun.

My wife's 43X wears a Lasermax Gripsense light/green laser combo. The laser and light are activated by a sensor when you grip the handgun normally. No switch involved. If you can put the laser on the target, you can hit the target. +1 on adding an intimidation factor.
The one Lasermax makes is what rides on 2 of my Ruger LCPII's now. Love them. Still have one OLD .32 made by KT that has an old CT on it. Has the button on the grip so when you grip the pistol the light is on. The Lasermax idea came out many years later and as soon as Wife tried one we bought a few more of them.

The other day my wife was playing with our cats.........scared the hell out of me.

:D OK I'll stop.

I think they have their place.

Point shooting gets faster with one. I've tried with a revolver and I was faster watching the dot than using the sights. May not always get As, but my first shot splits were faster.

Older folks tend to like them as sights and irons can be hard on older eyes. Big red dot on bad guy (or green) and bang.

Anything that aids in shot placement, in my opinion, is a good thing.

In self defense, if another gun is involved, first shot hit-speed is important in my opinion.

I think they have their place.

Point shooting gets faster with one. I've tried with a revolver and I was faster watching the dot than using the sights. May not always get As, but my first shot splits were faster.

Older folks tend to like them as sights and irons can be hard on older eyes. Big red dot on bad guy (or green) and bang.

Anything that aids in shot placement, in my opinion, is a good thing.

In self defense, if another gun is involved, first shot hit-speed is important in my opinion.
In all seriousness my dad had a laser on a couple of his guns including his shockwave. He could use/aim the laser from his wheelchair. In that instance, I fully supported and understood the laser. But for people with full mobility I think its a gimmick. I've seen members at our range target practicing with them and they chase the bouncing dot all over the place instead of using normal shooting skills. It really makes them a worse shot.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top