JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm looking for a place to do some handgun shooting this weekend...Can anyone recommend a good spot? This will be my first trip to an outdoor range in Oregon and I've got a new Glock 27 that I'm looking to put a couple hundred rounds through. Already have trash bags and a tarp (to collect my casings through the day) in my range bag and I plan on doing some cleanup before and after.

Thank you!

I'm looking for a place to do some handgun shooting this weekend...Can anyone recommend a good spot? This will be my first trip to an outdoor range in Oregon and I've got a new Glock 27 that I'm looking to put a couple hundred rounds through. Already have trash bags and a tarp (to collect my casings through the day) in my range bag and I plan on doing some cleanup before and after.

Thank you!

I'd suggest doing some cleanup first, and, well, joining everyone else!
https://www.northwestfirearms.com/threads/mt-hood-nat-forest-cleanup-april-23rd-2016.217108/

This spot is about an hour from downtown. I've only shot there once.

Looks like a good time; I don't think I have anything going on that day so I'll try to join in. This may be a dumb question but is that area open for shooting this weekend? I'm hoping to get out sooner rather than later to kill some paper.

Looks like a good time; I don't think I have anything going on that day so I'll try to join in. This may be a dumb question but is that area open for shooting this weekend? I'm hoping to get out sooner rather than later to kill some paper.

It's open. 7 days a week. Sunrise to Sunset.

Thank you! I was confused by the Target Shooting Closures map for Wildcat on this page: http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/mthood/recreation/?cid=stelprdb5422894.

There's also Firearm Forest Order MH-292-09-2003 (Firearms - Wildcat Mountain): https://fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fsbdev3_036500.pdf; does this mean there's a place I'll need to go to get a permit for target shooting?

If you go to the site where the cleanup is, then you can just go and shoot. The closure is on the south side of the road that leads up. Shooting is OK to the north. There are a couple berms setup for shooting.

The green bridge from highway 224 is still closed as a result of BLM not completing hazard tree removal. I am going to make another run at encouraging them to open it ASAP here soon.

Rd 45 is open from the other direction from 211, and one can access Oz Pit and Helion Pit that way

The green bridge from highway 224 is still closed as a result of BLM not completing hazard tree removal. I am going to make another run at encouraging them to open it ASAP here soon.

Rd 45 is open from the other direction from 211, and one can access Oz Pit and Helion Pit that way
Thanks. Yeah the 211 is the way I go into it last year.

I guess I will join the search also. I don't get how they can shut the whole areas down and not give the shooters something to work with. It just blows my mind. When I went up to wild cat i did see people shooting who didn't care I guess. Or they just don't know. I thought the state road was still open on highway 26. I believe it is called Miller road. You have to walk in with your gear but it is next to a body of water so it probably makes it off limits right? There are big piles of asphalt to us as backstops. I use to use it but the area got kinda scary cause people had there cars messed with just siting on the highway for hours.

The Miller Road Quarry is on BLM land and there are frequently fish biologists working on projects along the river that necessitate shutting down shooting. It should be posted when they are there, but people obviously need to look. The area was never intended to invite or support target shooting.

Is it actually ok to shoot there? No backstop other than stumps and trees that I can see. I see people at that spot every time I go up there.

Target shooting in Mt Hood National Forest is an appropriate use of the Forest, when done safely and with respect to the land and forest property. The Mt. Hood National Forest is open to target shooting unless specifically ordered and signed closed. But that doesn't mean just any old place. It has to meet the criteria of the Forest Service rules... Here's just a couple...

No person shall place targets on trees or shoot trees for any purpose.
Persons engaged in target shooting shall utilize an appropriately sized, natural backstop.

If you see a place that has no backstop and only trees to stop the bullets, then NO, it is not an appropriate nor legal place to shoot. If it fits in with the rules, have fun!

I've never been to this spot but by the overhead map, it looks like it's fairly flat and no earth berm backstop. If that's the case, skip it. Better safe than sorry.

You really will enjoy the Oz pit. It's a better place where you don't have to worry if you're in compliance with the rules. And it offers some good distance!

Have fun out there!

Cogs

I know exactly were that spot is. It is an illegal place to shoot. There is an officer that patrols that area regularly. He hands out maps too of legal places to shoot, in the Mt. Hood forest, Places that have a good backstop. I know this because I ran into him at this very spot. :oops: Needless to say I got a map and I went a long my way. WeldonMiguel PM me and I will point u in a good direction.

Just before the above mentioned spot, is the first one you come to on the NF 45 road. It is also illegal because of no backstop. Only trees. Still, people shoot there just because it looks like others do, so, it must be okay. Not! You'll notice, in the video, we are cleaning up that first spot where there is no backstop. I checked the map and found that if the bullets miss the trees, they will sail across the sky and to or over the Clackamas River and Hwy 224! Not cool!

We gotta be careful where we shoot!

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads