JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
coming in from 26, pretty sad how bad the first pit was. People were shooting there both this morning and late afternoon, not saying any of them were the problem. In the morning they were just setting up it seemed but were surrounded by trash, it was real bad. no pics.
Pit 2, trash
Pit 3,.... wasn't as bad as I expected until closer examination.... somebody taped water bottles to two trees for targets. Not only that, those bottles were on trees above the berm backstop so they were shooting into the air (no backstop) if they missed AND were shooting trees.
quarry pit, trashed.

I was out hunting today so wasn't prepared to clean up but I filled a spare trash bag with junk from the quarry pit. I also took down the two water bottles taped to the trees at pit 3 so it wouldn't encourage others.

front and back, same tree..
Selection_001.jpg

the other tree....
Selection_002.jpg

quarry pit:
Selection_003.jpg
I wasnt able to collect all that trash but filled a spare trash bag.

I notice people like to leave their target stands behind, this one I thought interesting since they put some effort into making it, its not a bad design, painted it black and while still illegal to shoot at water bottles I though it clever they painted them orange. I bet you could get a few uses out of this stand depending on how good a shot you are... but they left it. I bet it took them longer to make it than it would to throw it away...
Selection_004.jpg

Is this an 'Oregon' law? FS law? - never heard of this before but I WILL say categorically shooting at trees IS illegal and WILL get you cited if observed by LEO.
yes, and yes.

looks like the Tillamook State forest website has changed for the worse but here is the link to the actual dept. or forestry law (you will have to scroll way down):
http://arcweb.sos.state.or.us/pages/rules/oars_600/oar_629/629_025.html
629-025-0040
General Forest Recreation Rules
(9)Target Shooting(e) No person shall shoot targets other than those commercially manufactured for the specific purpose of target shooting, except for paper targets privately manufactured by the person or people engaging in target shooting.

Damn! I like shooting Gator Aide jugs, or jugs that are fairly solid. I shoot just slightly under them to see how far back and in the air I can get'm. Nice thing about the jugs is I always have room in the blue recycle bin at home so I clean up after.

its still the law but just for the record I dont have a problem with cans, plastic jugs etc as long as people clean them up and dispose of at home. I know all of us on here do. I share the information here in hopes these new shooters etc. might see it here searching the web where to go etc.....

I was in the spot that I think you are referring to as pit 3 today with my daughter. It was way better than the last couple times I was there. My daughter swept for reloadable brass and I filled a couple grocery bags with trash. While I admit that I certainly didn't get everything, I mainly focused on the non biodegradable stuff first. If it weren't for the neon orange clays that someone had been using, it would look pretty good as of about 4:00 this afternoon.
If we could convert everyone to the potato system the world would be a better place;)

PS. The first pit was an absolute disgrace. It could probably fill a couple full sized pickup beds at this point. Effing savages.

Last Edited:
Thanks to everyone who picks up and packs out.

If I'm not mistaken, someone posted new target restrictions in another thread.

One of the jurisdictions made it illegal to shoot an expedient target (all those other than a designed target made at home or by a manufacturer). So potatoes, pumpkins, cans, bottles, TVs, brake rotors, propane tanks, paint cans etc., would be a violation.

its true, if we go by the letter of the law only commercial (purchased) or home made paper targets can be used.

I don't have a problem with potatoes, or most anything someone will take home with them... but the dilemma is how to we tell someone whos trashing the place with their garbage to shoot lawfully if we don't ourselves.

its true, if we go by the letter of the law only commercial (purchased) or home made paper targets can be used.

I don't have a problem with potatoes, or most anything someone will take home with them... but the dilemma is how to we tell someone whos trashing the place with their garbage to shoot lawfully if we don't ourselves.

Trail cams; watching the trail cams that are watching the litter bugs.

Trail cams; watching the trail cams that are watching the litter bugs.
trail cams take notoriously crappy photos and have limited range. Its a good idea, but they'd have to be placed close enough to get a clear picture of license plates so they'd be found, stolen or shot up.

Last Edited:
I was up at the Salmonberry pit for the first time ever today and was amazed there was only a few targets of cardboard and some wood around. The pit at Browns camp has got so bad I am surprised it is still open (altho right now it is closed)
I have a 3/4 tom Dodge pickup and would be happy to meet anyone that wants to clean this up. Weekdays or weekends...either way.

Good work Gents! Here's the contact you need to know when in Tillamook State Forest...

Randy Peterson
Oregon Department of Forestry
503 359-7470

Randy will arrange for someone to pick up your bags of trash. Just give him a call and let him know the location you left them at. Also, let him know you are with NorthwestFirearms! (and take pics of your clean up to post here!)

It's hard to keep it cleaned up. They just trash it again the next week. We gotta keep trying to get the message out and hope people get it. The more they trash it, the more we loose it.

Thanks again for helping to keep public land open for shooting!

Bill

Pit #3 as I drove past Saturday morning. Yes, that tree was gunned down.

Some trash along the berm and pink 12ga shells everywhere. Probably would have been worse if it weren't for the standing water.

getPart_zpsgqswiu5j.jpg

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top