JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
What I know, and have known for a decade, is that a specific brand of "Turkish" pistol are very well made. Canik.

The one with the MS Paint red dot I bought used from a member here, he tuned it a bit, it's truly exceptional. The "blue dot" pistol has around 16K down the pipe, all original springs, all rounds fired from the same mag - it functions flawlessly, can't make it choke. You don't even have to lube or clean it :D

I have a few Tisas 1911s that I haven't fired, I'll learn about those someday :D

Yeah%20About%20Canik.jpg

Being full Greek, having family death marched out of Greek but Turkish controlled land, friends and family with Armenians who suffered the same fate and having Turkey and Turkish people constantly trying to lay claim to things that have been well established as originated from Greece or influenced by ancient Greek culture makes it very hard for me to give Turkey money.

And that makes it hard for me to buy a Turkish 1911. Looked at them pretty hard, but couldn't do it.
A valid concern. If you're interested enough in the product maybe buy used? Then you're not really giving money to Turkey.

The real surprise is a Tri-Star Bristol SxS shotgun. Looks good, excellent trigger, well balanced, and when using it, makes me look like I know how to shoot clays.
I sat on the fence on a purchase of a Bristol SXS in 410 for a couple of years costing me about $125 Biden Bucks. For the price range, a small frame SxS with ejector is unheard of. Happy with the purchase of my pre-retirement squirreler, now to pick up a Voodoo barreled action and install it in a nice G3 or Exhibition walnut stock and I'm set.

Sorry, I had the Mauser on my mind. Because I was shooting my Yugo 24/47 this morning.

This session......I noticed that my eyes were having a difficult time seeing my front sight. Man, it sucks to grow older. Plus, the shape of that front sight (and notch rear sight) doesn't help matters.

Aloha, Mark

Yeah…. NO

They are not exact clones, and there are glaring differences in quality. MKE has been using the same HK tooling since the 70s. The tolerances of the MKE built guns are no where near as good or tight as the HK built guns.

I have a HK SP5 and SP5k, and a MKE built AP5 and AP5-P and there is a reason why the HK guns cost a lot more. Everything is straight and aligned properly on the HK guns, the magwells are perfect, with the bolt open, every mag locks in tight, unlike the MKE guns that have alot of play in the mags. I had to return the MKE guns 3 times before I got one that had a rear sight welded somewhat straight and or the charge tube wasn't crooked.

The chrome lining on the HK guns is perfect, while the chrome lining on the MKE guns are mixed bags.

I originally had buyers remorse buying the HKs, but after seeing and experiencing the lower quality of the MKE built guns, I had no reservation spending the money. The MKE guns shoot fine and have been reliable, but they are nothing more than range beaters.

I suppose if you can't afford the finer things, MKE will be fine, but never settle for less if you don't have to.
I tried to go cheap with the AP5 and AP5P, too. I'm on my fourth exchange for the AP5P, the problems I've seen are mind boggling. The steel is also noticeably softer on the Turkish guns and the tooling they use is old, worn out, and operated by unskilled laborers.

Germany perfected stamped firearms; even when they had their MP5s contract built, they had HK reps QC checking constantly. MKE's contract expired long ago as did their QC... and Century is being far too lenient with what goes out the door.

My SP5 is superb. I don't care that it has a better finish, I care that HK manages to get their triple trees plumb, their threads nice and crisp, their sights straight, their receivers in spec, their magwells and magazines tight without wobble, their cocking tubes straight, their welds nice and clean, proper carrier hardness, rust-free trigger packs, yadda yadda.

The Century MKE guns are some of the worst I've seen in my time as a shooter and collector. If Turkey made a good MP5, I'd be all over it... I have no brand loyalty to HK.

Last Edited:
I have a Sars CM9 gen 2 and a Tisas 1911 and both are great, and I've never had a problem with either. In fact, the CM9 is one of my favorite pistols to shoot. The boy has a Canik and it's his go to. Good guns for the money.

Ray

A year ago it took 19 Turkish Lira to buy one dollar. Now it takes a little over 32 Lira to buy a dollar. One dollar should buy 1.68 times as much Turkish stuff as last year, or to put it differently, the same gun should cost 40% less.

Current stock of guns on the market were probably bought when the Lira was stronger, so it may take a while for a supply of guns imported at the lower cost to make it to the market. That is, unless the wholesalers just pocket the savings. :rolleyes:

I recently picked up a $419 Turkish "Panzer M2" which is an exact copy of the pre 2023 Benelli M2. 100% parts compatibility. I shot a bunch of random ammo out of it and it worked perfectly. Tore it completely down last night. Besides the importer marks, I can't tell the difference between it and a Benelli. Even the drop/cast shims are identical. The drop/cast rectangle washer in the stock has the exact same laser engraving. The only thing I see different is one light machine mark on the loading ramp that will buff out. Bought it as a truck gun, something that will look right at home with a bunch of scratches and patina.

I am not endorsing their M4 clone, or their AR style shotguns, but this M2 seems to be 99% of the Benelli for a fraction of the cost. Time will tell.

Upcoming Events

Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top