JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It might be counterfeit - even with a cage code and serial number. Leopold is very aggressive in regards to this issue, and they will follow through.
That was my first thought too. It's also just as possible that the person that traded it wasn't the first owner, and/or, was completely unaware of it's status. Modern technology being what it is... short of purchasing direct from the mfg... it can be very difficult discerning what is real and what is fake.

Fortunately, with a resource like the internet you can typically find info on how to spot a fake.

I didn't even think of that. Not that I know what to look for specifically on counterfeit scopes but it seems like a normal quality leupold. That would make since why I was having problems with it!
It won't do you any good with that Leopold, but most "high end" optic mfgs, including Leopold, have a serial number verification process and other means to identify counterfeits before you buy. Hope it works out for you.

That would make since why I was having problems with it!
FATAL disagrees

20240509_194812.jpg

A CAGE code is simply the US govt (Pentagon/DOD/GSA) way of tracking which manufacturer/contractor has contracts/items in the NSN (National Stock Number) databases.

Edit, especially if multiple contracts awarded to multiple vendors for one NSN

My Doublestar ACE ARFX stock has their (Doublestar) CAGE engraved on it somewhere; my Ontario MK 3 Mod 0 USN knife also has OKC's CAGE on it, and so does the USGI NVG mount bracket on the MICH. Most of the newer USGI MOLLE pouch tags also have CAGE codes plus makers names on them.

Nothing to do with "stolen" items.

Now... some items were "never released for surplus market"; those may involve theft and DOD LE.. an example were the SAPI/ESAPI armor plates. Another, the NVGs issued to military.

Leupold occasionally has (or had) sales to their employees of various products for very low prices - mostly rifle scopes. My SIL used to work there and I got a couple scopes that way. I am pretty sure some employees buy those scopes and turn around and sell them for a profit, which they are probably not supposed to do.
It's not illegal but they can refuse to deal with you as a customer in the future.

Lots of folks will buy things using an LE/Mil discount then sell for a profit. Not illegal, just shady.

A CAGE code is simply the US govt (Pentagon/DOD/GSA) way of tracking which manufacturer/contractor has contracts/items in the NSN (National Stock Number) databases.

My Doublestar ACE ARFX stock has their (Doublestar) CAGE engraved on it somewhere; my Ontario MK 3 Mod 0 USN knife also has OKC's CAGE on it, and so does the USGI NVG mount bracket on the MICH. Most of the newer USGI MOLLE pouch tags also have CAGE codes plus makers names on them.

Now... some items were "never released for surplus market"; those may involve theft and DOD LE.. an example were the SAPI/ESAPI armor plates. Another, the NVGs issued to military.
Whoa whoa whoa there homie...

Slow down on the smart talk. Way easier to just assume its stolen... 😉🙃

US property marked plates are fairly common. Most are " expired " according to the date . So I doubt anyone cares.

Speaking of surplus... M151s. :rolleyes: there's a saying going around that the DOD may try to confiscate civilian owned M151s even if they were sold quarter-sawn... however nowadays, the DOD trying to get rid of HMMWVs and other vehicles (MRAP/MATVS)

Edit. DOD's own inventory of vehicles in order to justify getting new vehicles that nobody seems to like except the manufacturers and the brass

Last Edited:

You should change your screen name to either, DoctorDeafie or, InspectorDeafie.

;):D

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR