JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Got this today... sounds promising.

Hello,

Thank you for contacting the Oregon Secretary of State. I have forwarded your request to the appropriate staff person. We will let you know if we have any additional questions or need additional time to fulfill the request. Otherwise, you will receive the documents responsive to this request via email.

~ Ben Morris, Communications Director

Got this today... sounds promising.

Hello,

Thank you for contacting the Oregon Secretary of State. I have forwarded your request to the appropriate staff person. We will let you know if we have any additional questions or need additional time to fulfill the request. Otherwise, you will receive the documents responsive to this request via email.

~ Ben Morris, Communications Director
Don't hold your breath.

Well,
here's the estimate to get copies.

1671733405670.png

Less than what I expected. This is why the lawsuits don't get filed, there's just not that many people interested in donating to this type of cause. It takes time and money and people don't have much of either to contribute.

Exactly. If theres presumably a discrepancy in the signatures. While you might have the evidence in your hands, its going to cost money in litigation and attorney's. You can bet the Secretary of State will stall any investigation since it goes counter to their parties agenda.

But not directly related to a public records request I assume? And how would they recover the cost of producing them in a lawsuit? Genuine question. Not being a troll.
Correct. In many cases, both sides in a lawsuit copy and exchange several hundred pages and call it a push. Since one party in a lawsuit against the petition would be producing over 32,000 pages, they will want to be compensated, no doubt. When one party has a large copy job, especially with labor involved, they will send an invoice like the one posted above and say, "This is our estimate — pay it (or Mr. Opposing Lawyer, you promise to pay it) and we will get you the docs." No agreement, then no docs.

Correct. In many cases, both sides in a lawsuit copy and exchange several hundred pages and call it a push. Since one party in a lawsuit against the petition would be producing over 32,000 pages, they will want to be compensated, no doubt. When one party has a large copy job, especially with labor involved, they will send an invoice like the one posted above and say, "This is our estimate — pay it (or Mr. Opposing Lawyer, you promise to pay it) and we will get you the docs." No agreement, then no docs.
10-4, thank you. I appreciate it. So basically the cost is still a hurdle and there is no way around it?

I lifted this piece from the Governor's Public Record Request page, https://www.oregon.gov/gov/Pages/public-records-requests.aspx

Fee waivers for public records requests
Requests for fee waivers or reduced fees must be made in writing to the Office of General Counsel, 254 State Capitol, 900 Court St. NE, Salem OR 97301. The General Counsel's office may furnish copies without charge or at a substantially reduced fee if it is determined that the waiver or reduction of fees is in the public interest because making the record available primarily benefits the general public. The General Counsel's office will determine the appropriateness of fee waivers or adjustments based on the guidance of the relevant law including ORS 192.440(5), the Attorney General's Public Records and Meetings Manual, and DAS Policy 107-001-030.

Reduced Fee Schedule
This schedule applies when the General Counsel's office waives part of the fee because it determines that fulfilling the request would serve the public interest by primarily benefiting the general public; per DAS Policy 107-001-030.

• Copies (letter sized, black and white): 7 cents per copy
  • Certification of Public Records: $5
Reduced Labor Charges
  • Clerical Staff: $20 per hour
  • Managerial Staff: $32 per hour
  • Professional Staff: $60 per hour
  • Attorney Review: $75 per hour
I wouldn't hold out a lot of hope, but you can ask.

Given the three day rule which I think is 1 plus three days, given an up and coming hearing the on the 23rd, when is the last day you can safely purchase a handgun given a likely 1 plus 3 days or in total is it 5 days? Thanks.
Different FFLs have vastly different views on days they count towards three day rule releases. Some don't count weekends, some don't start countdown until transferee is under review or delayed, etc.

Tigard Pawn counts everyday OSP is processing background checks, then they pad it by a day. They don't count the day you filled out the 4473. For example if you filled out a 4473 on a Monday they would consider releasing the firearm as early as Friday.

As for the judge's decision, if he rules to let three day rule ban go forward, then three day releases are over when he rules. Hopefully he rules to let three day rule releases continue.

Last Edited:
SED, thank you for the clarification you posted (quoted below)

My confusion came from the Fed regs that state

In which they mention State offics being open....i take it since the OSP FICS division functions 7 days a week, it is considered a State office that is open?
again...thanks.
Correct!

I'm assuming a goodly portion of that cost would be just for the paper to print it all out. I wonder what it'd be if they just stuck it on an end user supplied flash drive. Seems to me that would cut the process down to less than 5 minutes of time.

Status

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads