JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
@Cogs I know you posted this before but can you provide the address again where the trash can be dropped off on the way back from the Lanes? I need to get up there before the people come thru for the Audit.

Thanks.

@Mono1
Well, the trash from the May 25th clean up will be on the ODF tab at the Forest Grove transfer station. This extra clean up effort, on the 11th, will be on Trash No Land and I will haul it to a land fill in Washougal, where I'll pay by the pound and it will cost a lot less than in Forest Grove. If you go get a load and go dump it, shoot a picture of the receipt and send it to me. I'll mail a check to reimburse you for it.

Thanks,
Bill

@Cogs I know you posted this before but can you provide the address again where the trash can be dropped off on the way back from the Lanes? I need to get up there before the people come thru for the Audit.

Thanks.

@Mono1
any trash collected before the clean up can be dropped off at my house. i can deal with it later...maybe that will make it easier for people. im in forest grove. you can pm me if you need to contact me

Well, the trash from the May 25th clean up will be on the ODF tab at the Forest Grove transfer station. This extra clean up effort, on the 11th, will be on Trash No Land and I will haul it to a land fill in Washougal, where I'll pay by the pound and it will cost a lot less than in Forest Grove. If you go get a load and go dump it, shoot a picture of the receipt and send it to me. I'll mail a check to reimburse you for it.

Thanks,
Bill
Thanks but I am planning to go up on the 14th. Is there an address for the Forest Grove place ?

Mrs. Toast and I are going to try to get out there for a cleanup day early next week. We can't make it to pretty much any Saturday cleanups due to farmers market commitments, but we will be making the effort to put some time in before this inspection. We don't need any organized time or day. We'll just show up as early as we can one day and get done what we can get done even if it's just filling a bag or two.

These lanes are one of the truly great things about living in a very compromised 2024 NW Oregon. It is so sad to see how abused this area is and the way people have disrespected such an incredibly special place.

Can you imagine how shocked the inspectors would be if NWFA members actually turn out like a squad of ninja over the next week and made a huge dent in this problem before they came back?

How many man hours will cover the main jobs?

Mrs. Toast and I are going to try to get out there for a cleanup day early next week. We can't make it to pretty much any Saturday cleanups due to farmers market commitments, but we will be making the effort to put some time in before this inspection. We don't need any organized time or day. We'll just show up as early as we can one day and get done what we can get done even if it's just filling a bag or two.

These lanes are one of the truly great things about living in a very compromised 2024 NW Oregon. It is so sad to see how abused this area is and the way people have disrespected such an incredibly special place.

Can you imagine how shocked the inspectors would be if NWFA members actually turn out like a squad of ninja over the next week and made a huge dent in this problem before they came back?

How many man hours will cover the main jobs?
Exactly what we need (and what ODF was hoping for when they first started putting in the lanes)! Thanks, Toast! I raise a 'Toast' in your name!

The official clean up event is scheduled for May 25th and is at:
https://www.trashnoland.org/wolf-creek-lanes-cleanup/

This extra clean up effort is not on the TNL website, it's a spur-of-the-moment 'go get what you can before May 16th' kind of thing.
Would it make sense to move that or add another one given this could impact the future of these lanes? People may be more apt to participate if there is an organized event versus something at their own convenience.

I'll try to make it up there Saturday as well. Any tools it might be helpful to bring?
If you have any trash pickers, that would help save the back from bending over. Otherwise, just some gloves. I'll bring a few extra pickers and some magnets. The main idea is to get the big 'ugly' trash out. We'll deal with the small stuff later.

Thanks!

Would it make sense to move that or add another one given this could impact the future of these lanes? People may be more apt to participate if there is an organized event versus something at their own convenience.
Could be, but there's no time to schedule and promote an 'Event' right now. So, like we should be doing all the time, Just do a 'Random Act of Clean Up' as you can. We'll make a difference!

Would it be possible to have an emergency notice posted at the top of NWFA? I bet there are some people who would come out over the next week but won't see this thread.

Would it be possible to have an emergency notice posted at the top of NWFA? I bet there are some people who would come out over the next week but won't see this thread.
Not sure. But I wouldn't call it an emergency. Urgent might be appropriate. But not being my website, I'm not posting it.

Long post -- sorry.

OK, so Mrs. Toast and I took a ride out this morning and got to the lanes at 7:30. All lanes were occupied except Lane 3, so lane 3 was our cleanup spot. We spent about 4 hours doing cleanup, shot 3 mags each, and split around 12:30.

When we got there, there was a freakin' pallet ON FIRE -- completely unattended, unless you count the sketchy white van with WA plates that was camped out across the road with their windows blocked until they drove off around 10:30. (I think they probably had to drop off resumes or something.). I recorded the fire and van on video before putting out the fire, in case law enforcement wants their info. I brought 5 gallons of water for a hand washing station. Used 4 of them putting out an idiot's fire before we even got started.

Volunteer fire dept. service done, we got to work piling up the debris and then bagging it. I think we must have gathered a thousand shotgun shells and wads, at least. All kinds of absurd crap. I pulled a full container of cake frosting out of the forest. WTH?

Several people drove by and we told them about the inspection and cleanup efforts. All were friendly and appreciative. Several stopped to help and get a little shooting in, and a couple said they'd come back over the next week and put some time in.

We walked up the hill to Lane 4 and gathered another huge bag. I pulled about 30 pounds of trash that had clearly been intentionally dumped maybe 15 feet off the side of the road, along with not one, but TWO 40 lb. bags of stinking, used cat litter. I hauled all the rest of their trash out of the woods and down to Lane 3. I got the 2 bags of cat litter out to the road, but I had to leave them there for pickup as they were too heavy and too gross to carry back to Lane 3. At least they were in strong bags that didn't tear and dump the mess out all over the forest, or worse, all over me. I thought that was very considerate of whoever put them there.

Got up to Lane 4, spoke to the shooters up there, poked around, and took some pics. There is indeed a goodly dump off the back end of Lane 4, but it's not as bad as I had feared. A few strong people can get that in a few hours, I think. There's quite a bit of trash and debris out there, but if this community actually turns out over the next week, the biggest and worst of it trash-wise is probably fixable before the inspection.

The two biggest problems I saw were the evidence of a bunch of fires -- most quite small at least, but I counted around 10 -- and the short pistol range that's developed off to the right at Lane 4. That hill has a big valley behind it and stray rounds high and to the right could be dangerous. Removing the worst evidence of the various fires would go a long way to improving the overall sense of the place for the inspectors. Most can be removed fairly easily, I think.

We made a pretty good dent on Lane 3 today, at least the front half of it. If I had had another hour or two, I could have got more of the road around Lane 3 and cleaned up the sketchy white van people's (SWVP's) backyard for them while they were out at their job interviews. I am sure they would have really appreciated that, but I didn't have time to do it for them.

We left 6 bags at Lane 3, along with the remnants of several pallets, a tire, and some other larger debris that was collected. Sorry we weren't able to haul, but it's bagged and in a nice pile right behind the concrete berm. When we left, a new party was setting up, and they said they'd get put some time in and add to our pile.

I really hope the SWVP do not mess with those bags tonight. If someone is able to make a run out there this afternoon and grab them, that would be ideal.

We will not be able to get out there again this weekend, but we are planning to do another morning run one day early next week. It will be the same deal, unable to haul, so if someone wants to meet up out there and bring a trailer, PM me.

I took some pics, but I will have to post them a little later.

I was not able to view Lanes 1 or 2, as they were occupied.

My feeling is that we actually CAN shock the inspectors with our ninja crew if we can generate some turn out. At the very least, we can demonstrate our commitment to self-police the place, especially since we are doing this with almost no notice and with a planned cleanup a week after their inspection. It's a "yeah, we do need a bunch of people ready to put in work" problem, but it's not a "this is pointless and impossible" problem. The inspectors are not going to find a pristine forest, but they're going to find that someone made a huge dent in the problem since the last time they were there.

Biggest issue I can see is attracting attention, because the people we spoke to out there all seemed ready to help when they heard that inspectors were coming in a week.

We REALLY need a solution for the SWVP with the dry months coming, and it needs to be an LE solution or a locked gate at night. Is camping there signed as illegal? Is it even illegal?

Start EARLY tomorrow. It's gonna get HOT!

Thank you so much to you both for getting that done, and i agree, i think it's important that the inspectors area aware that it's not solely the target shooters causing this issue, in fact your evidence suggests it's also not just illegal dumpers, but people camping out there.

Long post -- sorry.

OK, so Mrs. Toast and I took a ride out this morning and got to the lanes at 7:30. All lanes were occupied except Lane 3, so lane 3 was our cleanup spot. We spent about 4 hours doing cleanup, shot 3 mags each, and split around 12:30.

When we got there, there was a freakin' pallet ON FIRE -- completely unattended, unless you count the sketchy white van with WA plates that was camped out across the road with their windows blocked until they drove off around 10:30. (I think they probably had to drop off resumes or something.). I recorded the fire and van on video before putting out the fire, in case law enforcement wants their info. I brought 5 gallons of water for a hand washing station. Used 4 of them putting out an idiot's fire before we even got started.

Volunteer fire dept. service done, we got to work piling up the debris and then bagging it. I think we must have gathered a thousand shotgun shells and wads, at least. All kinds of absurd crap. I pulled a full container of cake frosting out of the forest. WTH?

Several people drove by and we told them about the inspection and cleanup efforts. All were friendly and appreciative. Several stopped to help and get a little shooting in, and a couple said they'd come back over the next week and put some time in.

We walked up the hill to Lane 4 and gathered another huge bag. I pulled about 30 pounds of trash that had clearly been intentionally dumped maybe 15 feet off the side of the road, along with not one, but TWO 40 lb. bags of stinking, used cat litter. I hauled all the rest of their trash out of the woods and down to Lane 3. I got the 2 bags of cat litter out to the road, but I had to leave them there for pickup as they were too heavy and too gross to carry back to Lane 3. At least they were in strong bags that didn't tear and dump the mess out all over the forest, or worse, all over me. I thought that was very considerate of whoever put them there.

Got up to Lane 4, spoke to the shooters up there, poked around, and took some pics. There is indeed a goodly dump off the back end of Lane 4, but it's not as bad as I had feared. A few strong people can get that in a few hours, I think. There's quite a bit of trash and debris out there, but if this community actually turns out over the next week, the biggest and worst of it trash-wise is probably fixable before the inspection.

The two biggest problems I saw were the evidence of a bunch of fires -- most quite small at least, but I counted around 10 -- and the short pistol range that's developed off to the right at Lane 4. That hill has a big valley behind it and stray rounds high and to the right could be dangerous. Removing the worst evidence of the various fires would go a long way to improving the overall sense of the place for the inspectors. Most can be removed fairly easily, I think.

We made a pretty good dent on Lane 3 today, at least the front half of it. If I had had another hour or two, I could have got more of the road around Lane 3 and cleaned up the sketchy white van people's (SWVP's) backyard for them while they were out at their job interviews. I am sure they would have really appreciated that, but I didn't have time to do it for them.

We left 6 bags at Lane 3, along with the remnants of several pallets, a tire, and some other larger debris that was collected. Sorry we weren't able to haul, but it's bagged and in a nice pile right behind the concrete berm. When we left, a new party was setting up, and they said they'd get put some time in and add to our pile.

I really hope the SWVP do not mess with those bags tonight. If someone is able to make a run out there this afternoon and grab them, that would be ideal.

We will not be able to get out there again this weekend, but we are planning to do another morning run one day early next week. It will be the same deal, unable to haul, so if someone wants to meet up out there and bring a trailer, PM me.

My feeling is that we actually CAN shock the inspectors with our ninja crew if we can generate some turn out. At the very least, we can demonstrate our commitment to self-police the place, especially since we are doing this with almost no notice and with a planned cleanup a week after their inspection. It's a "yeah, we do need a bunch of people ready to put in work" problem, but it's not a "this is pointless and impossible" problem. The inspectors are not going to find a pristine forest, but they're going to find that someone made a huge dent in the problem since the last time they were there.

Biggest issue I can see is attracting attention, because the people we spoke to out there all seemed ready to help when they heard that inspectors were coming in a week.

We REALLY need a solution for the SWVP with the dry months coming, and it needs to be an LE solution or a locked gate at night. Is camping there signed as illegal? Is it even illegal?

I love it!... Ninja Crew!

Nice work Toast!

I'll load those bags up in the morning.

My plans changed a little. The new signs won't be ready, due to the printer's machine broke down. No time to order from another print shop. So, I'll have more time to work on trash.

What I will do, however, is post the Flyer, about the clean up on the 25th, at each lane and down at the gate. I had them laminated today so they will hold up to the weather for a couple weeks.

I'll bring a couple rakes and clean up the fire places (I always try to do that at shooting sites).

I also will bring some new paint for covering the graffiti on the jersey barriers, if time and shooters allow. If we can't repaint the barriers, we'll do it on the 25th (they really make the place look so much better).

I posted the same info on Reddit, in the group called pdxgunnuts. Lots of responses there and it sounds like we'll have a few more Ninga Crew members joining me tomorrow and in the coming days.

Perhaps this is what we needed for a wake up call. We should be doing this on a regular basis.

Thanks again, Toast! We'll take it from here.

Bill

Long post -- sorry.

thank you @toast

I love it!... Ninja Crew!

Nice work Toast!

I'll load those bags up in the morning.

My plans changed a little. The new signs won't be ready, due to the printer's machine broke down. No time to order from another print shop. So, I'll have more time to work on trash.

What I will do, however, is post the Flyer, about the clean up on the 25th, at each lane and down at the gate. I had them laminated today so they will hold up to the weather for a couple weeks.

I'll bring a couple rakes and clean up the fire places (I always try to do that at shooting sites).

I also will bring some new paint for covering the graffiti on the jersey barriers, if time and shooters allow. If we can't repaint the barriers, we'll do it on the 25th (they really make the place look so much better).

I posted the same info on Reddit, in the group called pdxgunnuts. Lots of responses there and it sounds like we'll have a few more Ninga Crew members joining me tomorrow and in the coming days.

Perhaps this is what we needed for a wake up call. We should be doing this on a regular basis.

Thanks again, Toast! We'll take it from here.

Bill
bill looks like my van is @ mechanic on saturday been chasing this damn error code and my ac compressor is starting to freeze up causing some belt issues. i not sure if my boy can get away either. if my vans done early enough ill head out..

Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top