JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am buying my first safe and there are a lot of options out there. I want to get something that I'll be happy with for a long times since it will probably last longer than I will. Which features are actually worth the extra money? I can see fire protection being good. I want one big enough for my guns but not so big that I can't move it without hiring a moving company.

I was originally planning on spending about $1,200. I found the Tracker Model T220-X for $599. Does anyone have any experience with Tracker Safes? Are there better options out there in that price range?

Thanks in advance for any advice given. I've been a member of this site for a while but this is my first post.

+ 1 for the Liberty Safes

I have a Liberty and like it. Has a lifetime warranty on safe, only five years on lock though, but if anyone tries to break into it, or if you have a fire, they will replace it for free on site.

I got mine, a FatBoy Jr. in Hubbard from a dealer out there, and I asked him what kind of a deal he could make me. I got it for $899.00 plus a free Accessory Door Panel, and he changed the lock combo to something I like, all for the same price as he quoted me. He did good, so I bought from him.

Check out the different videos they have. Pretty impressive..

Liberty Safes of Oregon - Home Page

Do your research, check everyone's warranties, then compare features.

Always get something BIGGER than you Think you'll need. It will fill up faster than you could ever imagine.

Good luck.

Stay Safe.

My advice, pay to have in moved into your house. My dad and I helped some friends move two safes into their house and it would have been worth every penny to pay them to do it.

And FWIW, both were Liberty Safes purchased from the dealer in Hubbard. They got a great deal on two. Also, buy bigger then you think you'll need. These two safes were filled within about a year of purchase.

Like has been said before in many threads similar to this one as well as this one "buy bigger than you think you need".

Buy the biggest one you can afford. Fireproof models cost more butt are worth it. Liberty safes are real nice but are spendy. Check out Cosco my buddy got a smoking deal on a big fire proof safe.

I have a Liberty and I got a KILLER deal on it during the Black Friday sale at Coastal Farm several years ago.
Yeah, bigger would be better, but don't have the room! We also use it for paperwork and jewelry.

Costco has great deals on safes that are around 500lbs (moveable), but if you want a one and done safe, I'd get a Liberty Fatboy Jr for the money you're looking to spend. You'll want to put in a goldenrod, lights and maybe a door panel. But factor in the cost of delivery/installation to get it bolted down. Worth the money.

Well look at it this way.The price of a safe is about the same as a high end firearm. So you miss a moth of buying a gun.
And it holds anywhere from 10-40 times it's value. (30 guns at an average of 700 a piece? YMMV)
So buying a top end safe is a great investment.

That said,a safe salesman told me the only complaints he has had with safes was the guy didn't buy a big enough one.
Count your guns and see how much money you are protecting.Makes it seem a little different than just looking at the price of a safe.

If you want to know the truth search this guy at THR: "a1abdj" He is an expert on safes and there are a few other guys like him that discuss safes. There is a ton of info that us average guys don't know and it is very surprising. If I knew then what I know now I would have never bought the Liberty safe I have. Once you know the truth about safes and what is what with them you will do much better than most of us have. Also the fire ratings are important and better can be had for the same money compared to the common brands. However my Liberty sure is pretty with it's gold plated handle and nice paint job.:s0114:

Here is a good place to start: http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=488614

According to the the thread above it took under 5 minutes with an axe and sledgehammer:

Check where the safe is made. A ton of them are made in China and of cheap steel.
That Liberty safe picture is worth a thousand words.
Two points:
1) Most safes have weak sides.
2) Most safes use drywall as fireproofing insulation - which is really worthless.

There are few American safe companies. I've pretty much decided that my next one is going to be from these guys /www.sturdysafe.com

That's a lot of good information guys. Thanks. I have more ideas to consider now. I really appreciate everyone's responses.
So far I've decided I will have the safe delivered into the house. It sounds like it is worth the money. I'd have to go up 5 or 6 steps.
It seems like I can spend a lot more money and get a little more security. I'm wondering just how valuable the extra money spent ends up being worth.

I do have one question though. Has anyone of you had a safe that failed in any way? I mean in a home from burglary or a fire or any real life scenario. The testing videos and pics are great for seeing what safes can handle but what are the chances of even an entry level safe letting us down? Do average thieves even mess with safes much?

Well that was the original budget until I saw this:

<broken link removed>

At $550, I could buy two and still be under my original budget. Or I could get this safe and an AK to join the party inside. I like that it is a local company. I don't like that there is not much information about the safes on their website. The bodies are 12 gauge steel which is thinner than some others.

See post #21 read the info

One additional things to keep in mind.
1) When you see web sites do a test and they only attack the door, ignore the test. The door is always the strongest side.
2) Attacking the sides with a blunt instrument. Again ignore the test.

I saw one gun manufacturer showing a "test" where they attacked a safe with a fire axe. They used a big burly guy and did attack the sides, but did not use the pointy side of the axe. That indicated to me that the safe would have failed.
By the way the are other manufacturers besides sturdy safe that make great safes, if you do some research you will find them - I just can't remember the names anymore as this was who I put on my list for the next purchase.
Always look at the thickness of the sides and do not settle for anything less than 10 gauge - although I would pay the extra to get thicker.
Don't buy one made in China. Check the company for complaints on the Better Business Bureau web sites.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top